Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Boeing 757 (752) Refurb Domestic Config / New Seats as of Oct 2009 (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2012, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The first refurbished Domestic 752 (24 F seats) entered service on 10/18/09. Around half of the domestic 757 fleet had undergone the Cabin Improvement Project as of late 2012 (some older config still active 03/2014).

• For WChou's first-hand report, see :-: Post #19 :-:; for a few photos by WChou, see Post #26

For more information about this refurbished Domestic 752 configuration, see this previous thread: Boeing 757-223 (Domestic 752) Planned Refurbishments (consolidated)

For information about the new International 75L Configuration, see: Reconfigured "international" 757 "L" / 75L Debut Jan 26 2009

AA Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

Boeing 757 (752) Refurb Domestic Config / New Seats as of Oct 2009 (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2009, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Originally Posted by sharklover
Good for gogo but bad with only 16 first class seats. Is this going to be temporary? I was looking forward to the new F seats on 757 on this route as it is the one I take the most.
Originally Posted by MAH4546
GoGo will be rolled out onto the entire domestic fleet. The 738s are next. MIA-LGA is switching to exclusive 738s in the spring, because of GoGo.
Is there an official start date on when MIA-LGA will go all 738? Plugging in various dates in spring 2010, I still see 5/10 MIA-LGA flights listed as 757 and 3/10 LGA-MIA flights listed as 757.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by sts603
Is it entering into any type of standard rotation like the 75Ls did when they entered?

My memo didn't state a particular rotation for the aircraft. It just stated that we should review the configuration in our new bulletin and that it would be the only one flying with that configuration until sometime next year.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 6:10 pm

I think I am on the new bird and she still has bugs. We were delayed for almost 2 hours because the fasten seatbelt chime died
Old Oct 22, 2009, 12:50 am

Yep, I was on the new bird tonight on a flight from LAX to BOS. The flight was delayed 2 hours. In the terminal, we were told the seatbelt "ding" did not work. After we boarded, we found that it was actually the entire intercom system that was acting up. The crew was assuring non-FFs that it was not a mechanical issue. I also did my best to assure some non-FFs that the good ole 752 is a sturdy, reliable plane and AA treats them well.

Some general observations:
- The CRTs down the center aisle have been replaced with what looks like 22" widescreen LCDs. They are not the flipdown type above the center seats seen on the 738s. Tall folks will still need to watch their heads. Announcements are now automated like on the 738s
- Sidewalls and overhead bin doors look new and spotless. The carpet is nice and clean. Not everything appears to have been swapped out. The passenger controls like lights and overhead trim panel are recycled or replaced as needed. I did see signs of cosmetic wear and tear on some items.
- Cabin lighting has not changed. No LED lights. Same fluorescent cabin lighting and incandescent seat lighting.
- F seats are the ones that have have the laptop slot
- One closet gone to make room for more F seats. This must've perplexed some FFs as the FAs came on to announce they would come around to accomodate coats. A few people must've walked up to the place where they usually hang their coats only to see to two more PAX.
- Y seats have winged headrests. I was seated in an exit row and the seat was hard as a rock. Cushion felt shorter than standard. Tray table is also smaller given that a full meal will probably never be served on this plane.
- Power is now standard AC and not the cigarette lighter type DC
- New restrooms are nice. The faucet is now one knob that provides about 20 seconds of water. Beats the hot/cold with instant off when washing your hands. Accent lights are LED. The door is now curved giving more room for those with larger cabooses.
- Not ETOPs. I did not see the overhead life raft.
- No GoGo internet.

Overall its a nice refresh and feels alot like the 738s. I have stated that the current domestic 752s are long overdue for a facelift. The plane still needs breaking in as everything is a little too tight. The lavatory door is still very stiff as is the toilet seat. Some folks might have pulled on the shades too hard as I saw many off their tracks. Seat recline took a bit of effort. After we landed, the intercom bug came up again and the final announcement cut in and out. Oh, no "ding" when the seatbelt light went off.

As a side note, kudos to the cabin crew. The purser and FAs did a great job getting people on the plane and seated quickly. Despite a long day, they stayed chipper and upbeat. No corners were cut. 2 full drink services and a water/juice run with two trash runs after each service. It was the same crew that took me from BOS to LAX. Each one remembered me and gave a nice greeting as I boarded. We even got in some quick small talk. It might not seem like much to some folks but I appreciated it. Shows that they are observant of customers and aware of their surroundings. Very professional and a credit to AA.

Last edited by WChou; Oct 22, 2009 at 1:08 am
Old Oct 22, 2009, 5:55 am

A couple of quick questions about your observations:

1). With the 2 extra seats in first, do you think the pitch on the A/B side is the same as the E/F side or do you think there is less?

2). I know you said seats in coach were hard. Is there less pitch than before with the new style seats?
Old Oct 22, 2009, 7:00 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
^ Thanks, WChou for the detailed report!
Old Oct 22, 2009, 7:25 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.5 MM, AA Concierge Key
I still don't understand why they DID NOT install GoGo Internet in planes that they already had offline for refurbishment. Furthermore, I cannot understand why the MD80s were the priority for GoGo installation over the 757s. The only GoGo flights I've been on that were not on a 762, were on MD-80s and lasted about 30-40 minutes (so only about 20 minutes of electronic device time). Hardly even enough time to take the laptop out, boot it up and register with GoGo.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 10:22 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by fixedwingflyer
I cannot understand why the MD80s were the priority for GoGo installation over the 757s.
There are a lot more MD80's in the fleet, which equals more revenue potential. Since the GoGo installation has to go through a lengthy certification process for each aircraft type, they probably get a quicker return on the investment by having the ability to roll it out into so many aircraft. A portion of the 757 fleet is also used on Caribbean and Latin America routes where GoGo wouldn't even be available.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 10:54 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by fixedwingflyer
I still don't understand why they DID NOT install GoGo Internet in planes that they already had offline for refurbishment.
757's are getting re-allocated to a lot of non-continental US routes. Gogo won't work on those routes. They probably did a cost analysis and found that it didn't make sense to install a product when it would be flying on limited routes where it could generate revenue.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 11:05 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by WChou
- F seats are the ones that have have the laptop slot
<snip>
- Y seats have winged headrests. I was seated in an exit row and the seat was hard as a rock. Cushion felt shorter than standard. Tray table is also smaller given that a full meal will probably never be served on this plane.
Thanks for the report WChou! ^ I've linked it from the OP of this thread for easy reference.

I don't recall from the previous thread, but did Y have the new articulating seats like the new 738s?
Old Oct 22, 2009, 12:06 pm

Hey everyone. As a longtime lurker, it's nice to be able to give back to the community. Its funny what being a Flyertalk member and flying junkie does to you mentally. While others were grumbling about the delay, my reaction was, "Whoa! I'm on 610! Awesome! Well worth the delay"

To answer a few more questions
- I didn't sit in a regular seat. Tried my best to find one but all the aisle seats were taken. Based on general observations, it didn't look like the seats articulated. Mine in the exit row reclined like a standard seat.
- The seat pitch appears to be the same all around in both F and Y. The hard seat issue may only apply to the exit row.

Here are a few bad images taken from my phone. The one time i forget my camera I ended up needing it. DOH!

A view of the legroom in 18D. Plenty of space.

A shot of everyone deplaning

The new video monitors
Old Oct 23, 2009, 5:01 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Those are some huge flatscreens. Does anyone over 5'10" have to duck?
Old Oct 23, 2009, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
I'll be banging my head on those LCD's for sure.

Thanks WChou! Now all we need are some pics of the F seats.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PHL
Those are some huge flatscreens. Does anyone over 5'10" have to duck?
Originally Posted by WChou
Tall folks will still need to watch their heads.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:07 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Would LOVE to see some pics of F class on this bird - anyone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.