Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Boeing 757 (752) Refurb Domestic Config / New Seats as of Oct 2009 (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2012, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The first refurbished Domestic 752 (24 F seats) entered service on 10/18/09. Around half of the domestic 757 fleet had undergone the Cabin Improvement Project as of late 2012 (some older config still active 03/2014).

• For WChou's first-hand report, see :-: Post #19 :-:; for a few photos by WChou, see Post #26

For more information about this refurbished Domestic 752 configuration, see this previous thread: Boeing 757-223 (Domestic 752) Planned Refurbishments (consolidated)

For information about the new International 75L Configuration, see: Reconfigured "international" 757 "L" / 75L Debut Jan 26 2009

AA Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

Boeing 757 (752) Refurb Domestic Config / New Seats as of Oct 2009 (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2009, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
[QUOTE=WChou;12691049]Hey everyone. As a longtime lurker, it's nice to be able to give back to the community. Its funny what being a Flyertalk member and flying junkie does to you mentally. While others were grumbling about the delay, my reaction was, "Whoa! I'm on 610! Awesome! Well worth the delay"

To answer a few more questions
- I didn't sit in a regular seat. Tried my best to find one but all the aisle seats were taken. Based on general observations, it didn't look like the seats articulated. Mine in the exit row reclined like a standard seat.
- The seat pitch appears to be the same all around in both F and Y. The hard seat issue may only apply to the exit row.

Here are a few bad images taken from my phone. The one time i forget my camera I ended up needing it. DOH!

A view of the legroom in 18D. Plenty of space.
<image redacted>

A shot of everyone deplaning
<image redacted>
The new video monitors
<image redacted>

Thanks for the reports and pics.

Last edited by dstan; Oct 24, 2009 at 1:18 pm Reason: please do not include images in quotes unless absolutely necessary - thanks
Old Oct 24, 2009, 12:04 am

WChou- Thank you for the great report! FYI, an operating PA system is required to fly. That's why they wouldn't dispatch until it was fixed. In a pinch, the bullhorn is considered the backup, but I'm glad to see AA didn't play fast and loose with the regs.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 12:37 am

It was a pleasure to provide some details to the FT AA community.

I just wished I picked up on some of the clues earlier. Got lazy and never checked the registraion number of the plane during the delay. When waiting to enter the plane from 1L, I noticed a small touchscreen panel. Although this was new, I did not think much of it. As I walked down the aisle, I noticed slots on the F seats like on the new 738s. It was only after I entered the coach cabin did I notice the LCD screens. After sitting down, I was able to fire off a quick post to FT after some text messages to arrange transportation at BOS. By the time I was ready to take a few pics, it was devices off. Due to the dark cabin and rush to deplane, those 3 pics were the only ones that turned out semi-usable.

kenish: I am also glad AA did not cut any corners with FAA regs. This makes me confident that AA is putting the safety of passengers and crew ahead of getting a plane from point a to point b to save a few bucks.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 1:20 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Thanks again, WChou! I've put an additional link to the post with your photos in the OP.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Flagship service on a 757 from LAX to MIA?

Quick question:

I'm doing a MR (actually, I'm going to work, but have an extra day to spare, so why not get in a few more miles?) and I've got the choice of either the DFW-ORD-SEA-ORD-MIA or DFW-SJC-LAX-MIA. I obviously get more miles on the SEA itinerary, but the despite that, the deciding factor will be:

Does AA offer Flagship service on the transcon 757s? The flight I'm looking at is AA252 from LAX-MIA on the 757.

Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2010, 3:11 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Why would they offer Flagship service on a two class plane?

Cheers.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 3:17 pm

Sorry, what I mean by that is do they give you the menu and have multiple courses like on JFK-LAX in F? Or is it like most other F flights where they give you the choice of 2 items and that's it?

And additionally, if I were to take the slightly earlier flight from LAX-MIA on the 777, would business class have the menu service? Or is that only F?

(Sorry, but I've never flown where they give you the menu, salad cart and dessert cart, etc, so I'm trying to find a flight where that's offered - what can i say, I'm a sucker for the little things...)
Old Jan 9, 2010, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by ramalama8
Sorry, what I mean by that is do they give you the menu and have multiple courses like on JFK-LAX in F? Or is it like most other F flights where they give you the choice of 2 items and that's it?

And additionally, if I were to take the slightly earlier flight from LAX-MIA on the 777, would business class have the menu service? Or is that only F?

(Sorry, but I've never flown where they give you the menu, salad cart and dessert cart, etc, so I'm trying to find a flight where that's offered - what can i say, I'm a sucker for the little things...)
MIA-LAX has a menu on any airplane.

If you want the salad and desert cart, you need to fly MIA-LAX in F (not J) on the 777.

The service on MIA-LAX F (or J on the 777) is what you will find on JFK-LAX J; the on the 777, F service is just like JFK-LAX F.

Though for some reason, the FA's on the MIA-LAX 777 flight (which I take 2-3x a month) always happen on the absolute top of their game. Always amazing service - best domestic route in AA's system service=-wise, IMO.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546
If you want the salad and desert cart, you need to fly MIA-LAX in F (not J) on the 777.
Pretty sure this is a breakfast flight so you're not going to get those carts anyways, or am I mistaken?
Old Jan 9, 2010, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546

Though for some reason, the FA's on the MIA-LAX 777 flight (which I take 2-3x a month) always happen on the absolute top of their game. Always amazing service - best domestic route in AA's system service=-wise, IMO.
Best route, huh?

I think you've sold me ... I'll take the 777 in J.

Originally Posted by sellouts
Pretty sure this is a breakfast flight so you're not going to get those carts anyways, or am I mistaken?
The flight we're talking about is an afternoon flight from LAX-MIA.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1.6 MM
Originally Posted by WChou
Yep, I was on the new bird tonight on a flight from LAX to BOS. The flight was delayed 2 hours. In the terminal, we were told the seatbelt "ding" did not work. After we boarded, we found that it was actually the entire intercom system that was acting up. The crew was assuring non-FFs that it was not a mechanical issue. I also did my best to assure some non-FFs that the good ole 752 is a sturdy, reliable plane and AA treats them well.

Some general observations:
- The CRTs down the center aisle have been replaced with what looks like 22" widescreen LCDs. They are not the flipdown type above the center seats seen on the 738s. Tall folks will still need to watch their heads. Announcements are now automated like on the 738s
- Sidewalls and overhead bin doors look new and spotless. The carpet is nice and clean. Not everything appears to have been swapped out. The passenger controls like lights and overhead trim panel are recycled or replaced as needed. I did see signs of cosmetic wear and tear on some items.
- Cabin lighting has not changed. No LED lights. Same fluorescent cabin lighting and incandescent seat lighting.
- F seats are the ones that have have the laptop slot
- One closet gone to make room for more F seats. This must've perplexed some FFs as the FAs came on to announce they would come around to accomodate coats. A few people must've walked up to the place where they usually hang their coats only to see to two more PAX.
- Y seats have winged headrests. I was seated in an exit row and the seat was hard as a rock. Cushion felt shorter than standard. Tray table is also smaller given that a full meal will probably never be served on this plane.
- Power is now standard AC and not the cigarette lighter type DC
- New restrooms are nice. The faucet is now one knob that provides about 20 seconds of water. Beats the hot/cold with instant off when washing your hands. Accent lights are LED. The door is now curved giving more room for those with larger cabooses.
- Not ETOPs. I did not see the overhead life raft.
- No GoGo internet.

Overall its a nice refresh and feels alot like the 738s. I have stated that the current domestic 752s are long overdue for a facelift. The plane still needs breaking in as everything is a little too tight. The lavatory door is still very stiff as is the toilet seat. Some folks might have pulled on the shades too hard as I saw many off their tracks. Seat recline took a bit of effort. After we landed, the intercom bug came up again and the final announcement cut in and out. Oh, no "ding" when the seatbelt light went off.

As a side note, kudos to the cabin crew. The purser and FAs did a great job getting people on the plane and seated quickly. Despite a long day, they stayed chipper and upbeat. No corners were cut. 2 full drink services and a water/juice run with two trash runs after each service. It was the same crew that took me from BOS to LAX. Each one remembered me and gave a nice greeting as I boarded. We even got in some quick small talk. It might not seem like much to some folks but I appreciated it. Shows that they are observant of customers and aware of their surroundings. Very professional and a credit to AA.
So will the whole 757 fleet get updated for domestic? i hate flying the old 757 from LAX-HNL.

I agree with you as well, it's always nice when a FA recognize you because they have seen you in their flights before as opposed to some posters here who want to be greeted personally just for been EXP,it's senseless gratification IMHO.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by DZONELB
So will the whole 757 fleet get updated for domestic? i hate flying the old 757 from LAX-HNL.

I agree with you as well, it's always nice when a FA recognize you because they have seen you in their flights before as opposed to some posters here who want to be greeted personally just for been EXP,it's senseless gratification IMHO.
AA is spending $ to upgrade 757 and buy new 738 and they refuse to install
PTV to compete against DL, B6 and Virgin.
I don't get it.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Free Agent
N610AA

Last night's 194 SFO-BOS was this updated bird.

To the question of the AB vs EF pitch in First, there is no obvious difference in pitch and the look to be the same.

The F seats look to be the same as the new 737 seats, with laptop slots and regular power plugs.

The bulkhead F seats are still tight. The seats now articulate about 6 inches, so the space seems even tighter.

The FA commented that she thought the F bathroom was smaller, but it did not really seem so to me.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA lifetime gold, United Mileage Plus silver, Marriott Platinum Elite
i have about 5 months before i get on a 757 in May on the ORD-MIA and MIA - BGI route.

hope by then they are flying the updated ones on that route.

until then its 777's and Mad Dog's for me.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 1:08 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Bump to see if anyone's aware of the refub schedule for the 757's beyond this loan bird (N610AA)...

Given AA's recent financials, I wonder how eager they are to spend the money...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.