Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Boeing 757 (752) Refurb Domestic Config / New Seats as of Oct 2009 (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2012, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The first refurbished Domestic 752 (24 F seats) entered service on 10/18/09. Around half of the domestic 757 fleet had undergone the Cabin Improvement Project as of late 2012 (some older config still active 03/2014).

• For WChou's first-hand report, see :-: Post #19 :-:; for a few photos by WChou, see Post #26

For more information about this refurbished Domestic 752 configuration, see this previous thread: Boeing 757-223 (Domestic 752) Planned Refurbishments (consolidated)

For information about the new International 75L Configuration, see: Reconfigured "international" 757 "L" / 75L Debut Jan 26 2009

AA Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

Boeing 757 (752) Refurb Domestic Config / New Seats as of Oct 2009 (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2011, 5:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by DutchMember
Today is the second time I am flying the updated 757 in first, and the new seats really hurt my lower back. Besides the seats are quite hard to sit on. I much rather sat on the old seats! Am i the only one who doesn't prefer the new seats? Besides, when you recline the discomfort gets even greater, it's almost as bad ad those dreaded y seats on cx !
Only positives are seat power and seat pockets with better storage space.
Agreed. The old 757 F seats might look ghetto (let's admit, they don't photograph that well), but man are those comfortable... like riding in the backseat of an 80s Mercedes S-Class. I much prefer them to the new 757/738 F seat design, especially on transcons. They look great, but seat comfort is compromised IMO.

Then again, this is someone with strong nostalgia for the woolly mammoth F/J seats. Nothing will EVER replace those.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Today is the second time I am flying the updated 757 in first, and the new seats really hurt my lower back. Besides the seats are quite hard to sit on. I much rather sat on the old seats! Am i the only one who doesn't prefer the new seats? Besides, when you recline the discomfort gets even greater, it's almost as bad ad those dreaded y seats on cx !
Do you ever fly 738s? You sound like this is your first experience with these seats, but in F, I don't find all that much different between the new 757 F seats and the 738F seats.

It's in Y that the seats are brand new to AA (AFAIK).

I haven't flow the new 757 in F (only once in Y, which I recounted above), but I've flown several times on the new/refuribished 738 F, and don't remember finding it uncomfortable. But at any rate, the 757 F seats of old were unique to the 757 (not used on any other AA aircraft type), so how does the new 757 F seat compare to F seats on other types of AA domestic aircraft? (Or have you never flown any other AA aircraft domestically other than the 757?)
Old Jun 25, 2011, 6:20 pm

The best F seats on the 757 that AA had were those cloth seats in the TWA 757s. I hated to see most of those planes move on to Delta.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 6:44 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, American AAdvantage, Hyatt
You are NOT the only one. Can't stand these new seats either. Need to tell AA to save their money and keep the rest of the fleet the way they are in F. With all the cost cutting, I'm sure they would be happy to stop spending money replacing these seats if they knew a lot of people really liked the current leather ones.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 3:25 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by Robt760
I had my first experience on a recent flight from LAX-ORD a few weeks ago.

Benefits:

+ Adjustable headrest
+ Updated LCD screens that are fairly well placed (ie not down the center aisle ceiling but above the seating area and thankfully no head bumping into monitors on the way down the aisle)
+ Seat cushioning and comfort in general better.
+ Audio thankfully upgraded with the IFE, thus no odd feedback noises.

Shortcomings:

- Seating made me feel like I was in a high-chair. Good for the legs, but hard to see out the window without hunching down.
- Tray tables seem less spacious and less sturdy.
- Automated announcements interrupting IFE during flight too often.

Questions:

- I presume there is no feature for moving maps (and/or whatever the name of the program is for Gate/Connections information) upgraded on these aircraft.
- Didn't use the restroom, thus can't comment on any change of the 'facilities'.
Updated to add:

- Seat 14a is a good seat if you want to have a place to rest your head. The window in this row is in line with seat 13a. The cooling and ventilation unit is LOUD.

- Many of the window seats are positioned where it's hard to see the monitors unless you tilt your head in an awkward way, but then again it is/was sort of the same in the non-reconfigured 757s.

- The power ports in coach are in the same rows as shown on the seat map (ie not all rows have them) Plugging in down there is a challenge if you don't do it before seatmates arrive; have to do it by feel and touch.

- With new seats come improved AVOD hardware. The controls for sound and channel are easier to change, and the port/plug for headphones is on the front of the arm rest. Can't tell you how many headphone plugs/headsets of my own I jacked from the awkward location on older a/c.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.8MM AC; UA Silver; Hyatt Globalist; Honors Diamond; Bonvoy LT TTM
This gets a little personal, but I wonder if the reports of comfort vary based on the size of the individual. I'm wondering if heavier set individuals are more inclined to not like the new seats, as they are narrower.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 7:33 am

Programs: AA EXP/OW Emerald
No, you're not the only one. Add me to the camp, too. Earlier in the summer I had the opportunity to experience both cabins - old F from JFK to SXM, and new F on the return. I much prefer the old seats in terms of comfort - and, no, it's not a size issue (I'm 5'11", 160lbs). The old seats are more 'sofa-like' - or maybe 'executive desk chair' is a better description. The new ones just don't match up in that regard. I wish I could compare the recline, but my new F seat on the return wouldn't work - neither would my partner's. Not a huge loss as I'm not a fan of the new 'slide down and forward' style of recline anyway. Nice to have the better storage, power, etc. of the new style, but I wish there could have been a way to incorporate those features while retaining the comfort of the old.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 8:19 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by DCtrAAveler
I wish I could compare the recline, but my new F seat on the return wouldn't work - neither would my partner's.
FYI, the crew can easily fix the recline, if they know how. It involves removing the seat cushion and either bending or releasing something in the seat. I've been on a couple of flights that had the "no recline" problem - on the first, the captain came out and fixed it (and showed the cabin crew the trick), on the second, the cabin crew already knew the trick.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:06 am

Programs: AA EXP(?), Admirals Club, Hilton Gold, Avis Preferred
I flew one of the upgraded 757s yesterday on a flight from ORD to STL.

The interior looks very nice. I sat in Y in a middle seat (rebooked on a later flight because my original return flight cancelled). I'm tall, have broad shoulders, so the middle seat pretty much sucks for me no matter what type of plane.

Still, the interior looked nice, the seat wasn't bad considering the circumstances and the short flight.

Has this program started up again? I remember it was on hold while the older 738s were reconfigured.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:13 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Finally flew on one of these refurbed birds yesterday (DFW-BOS)!

I had just gotten off of a red-eye flight, so I was a little groggy - threw me for a complete loop when I walked on-board and saw non-brown/grey slAAveship seats in F. (Sat down in 2E and started to look around, trying to figure out if I was on a 737 or why the Mad Dogs were flying into BOS again. Finally had the "ah ha!" moment to simply turn backwards and count the number of rows in F. )
Old Sep 15, 2011, 1:44 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HHonors DIA, Fairmont GLD they make me feel special!
had my first experience on one today - LAX-MIA. 4 of the seats were broken, but the FA's basically took them apart and made them work for some happy customers.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AAdmirals Club, HHonors GLD
Still only 9 of the new/refirbed domestic 757's out there? Flying F BOS-MIA and back next week and are wondering about my chances.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
The most recent update from "the other side" indicates 20.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:34 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by bmxaggie
had my first experience on one today - LAX-MIA. 4 of the seats were broken, but the FA's basically took them apart and made them work for some happy customers.
I was in a broken seat in one of the reconfigured 757s last week. The flight attendant could not fix it. However, she told me that the seat worked on the inbound flight; the heavy set man who was in that seat was constantly adjusting the recline.

I removed the seat cushion and tried to figure out what prevented the seat from reclining. It turned out that a metal peg popped out of the flimsy track where it was supposed to slide back and forth. I popped it back in place and the seat worked fine for the balance of the flight.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AAdmirals Club, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by Microwave
The most recent update from "the other side" indicates 20.
Thanks Microwave.

Originally Posted by TWA884
I was in a broken seat in one of the reconfigured 757s last week. The flight attendant could not fix it. However, she told me that the seat worked on the inbound flight; the heavy set man who was in that seat was constantly adjusting the recline.

I removed the seat cushion and tried to figure out what prevented the seat from reclining. It turned out that a metal peg popped out of the flimsy track where it was supposed to slide back and forth. I popped it back in place and the seat worked fine for the balance of the flight.
Eh, several reports of broken F seats in the new config's . . . maybe I'm better off in the old config?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.