Wiki Posts
Search

ANA award change policy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:20 am
Original Poster

ANA award change policy

Hi, I have a question:

If I book an ANA award for a morning flight from A to B; can I later on change the morning flight to the same day afternoon flight if award opens? It seems like "No" according to ANA policy (No changes in airlines/segments), am I correct?

Also, what does this mean "the Partner Flight Award is not permitted to change ANA Flight International Awards"?

Thank you guys so much in advance!

Here is the policy for award change from ANA.com:

[Approval for changes]
・After ticketing, you can change your departure date within the ticket's validity period.

[Disapprove for changes]
・After the application, the passenger's name and the person who redeems the mileage cannot be changed.
・No changes in airlines, passengers, segments, destination, stopovers, transit points are allowed.
・No changes from stopover to transit points, neither transit points to stopovers are allowed.
・The Partner Flight Award is not permitted to change ANA Flight International Awards.
amorixc likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 3:24 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamon, IHG Spire
Bump.

I also have question, can I change the date of the flight after the 1st departure? Thanks.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 5:59 pm

bumperoo.

anyone knows the answer? thanks.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 9:58 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by andrewleen
If I book an ANA award for a morning flight from A to B; can I later on change the morning flight to the same day afternoon flight if award opens? It seems like "No" according to ANA policy (No changes in airlines/segments), am I correct?
A change in flight time/date is acceptable; changes in routing are not. If award space is open then you can change as per the rules of the award.

Also, what does this mean "the Partner Flight Award is not permitted to change ANA Flight International Awards"?
You cannot change a Partner Flight Award (e.g. Star Alliance partner award) to an ANA International Flight Award; this is to prevent people from switching to the cheaper mileage chart even if they have all ANA flights on their itinerary.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 2:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
A change in flight time/date is acceptable; changes in routing are not. If award space is open then you can change as per the rules of the award.
I want to remove the first segment of my award booking and leave the rest of the booking unchanged. As per the rules, they say they can only do this as a cancellation and rebooking which means cancellation fee of 3000 miles per passenger.

Given that I am being charged for opting to take one less flight that needed, do you think if I ask for a manager I might be able to argue for the change fee to be waived? Anyone had any experience or advice?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Enigma368
I want to remove the first segment of my award booking and leave the rest of the booking unchanged. As per the rules, they say they can only do this as a cancellation and rebooking which means cancellation fee of 3000 miles per passenger.

Given that I am being charged for opting to take one less flight that needed, do you think if I ask for a manager I might be able to argue for the change fee to be waived? Anyone had any experience or advice?
I follow your logic but I think their system can only execute the change as they described it to you. Could a manager then comp your miles back? Perhaps technically but I highly doubt it. This is ANA, and like most Japanese companies, they almost always go by the book.

But hey, why not call and ask? Worst that'll happen is you get turned down.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Enigma368

As ainternational notes, a change is a change, so you will be charged regardless of whether you add or remove a segment. Those are the rules, and I am almost positive they will not relax them. However, I do suggest you call and see what they say (especially if you're not in Japan).
Old Apr 16, 2014, 5:29 pm

So is it possible to change an award after you've started travel? IE I need to change the return.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:26 pm

For partner awards you can make changes according within the following restrictions:

[Approval for changes]

After ticketing, you can change your departure date within the ticket's validity period.

* Please note that reservations are not permitted more than 330 days in advance.

When changing your booking, you may be asked to pay the balance for various taxes including fuel surcharges.You will be informed the amount if there is any when changing your reservation.

[Disapprove for changes]

After the application, the passenger's name and the person who redeems the mileage cannot be changed.

No changes in airlines, passengers, segments, destination, stopovers, transit points are allowed.

Your booked class cannot be changed except for the following cases.

*If there is seat available for lower class booking can be changed to lower class cabin. However, mileage for such changes is not returned when changing a reservation to a lower cabin class.

*When flight award tickets are issued using mileage for an upgraded cabin class, booking change can be made to upper class when there is an available seat in an upgraded cabin class.

The Partner Flight Award is not permitted to change ANA Flight International Awards.
For changes to ANA-only awards, the rules are slightly different:

■Approval for Changes

The departure date may be changed within the validity period of ticket. Changes are possible up until the date prior to departure.

* Changes cannot be make to itineraries starting within 3 days of ticket issue.

* Reservations cannot be made for departure dates more than 355 days in advance.

* If a changing the departure date results in a change of season, then adjustments must be made to meet the required number of miles. If the require number of miles increases, then the difference can be made up using further miles. If the mileage account does not contain the required number of extra miles, then the reservation cannot be changed. If the required number of miles decreases, then the difference is returned in miles. However, miles will not be returned if their expiry date has passed. Adjustments can only be made using miles, and not by cash or other means.

* When changing the first sector of the itinerary in some cases additional costs will be incurred due to the difference in fuel surcharge and various taxes. If a difference occurs, you will be informed when you change your reservation.

・If there are unoccupied seats in a class lower than the reserved class, passengers may switch over to the lower class. However, in such case, the miles difference between the higher and lower class will not be refunded.

・For sectors where the ticket was issued using the mileage required for a class higher than the class in witch the person who is actually traveling, the passenger can upgrade to the higher class if there are unoccupied seats. Passengers can upgrade to a higher class within the time limit for changing their reservation.

・Please understand that timetables may change depending on the season, and flights may be cancelled.

■Disapprove for Changes

・After application, the name of the passenger, and the name of the individual supplying the miles cannot be changed.

・The airline, passenger, sector and route cannot be changed. Neither is it possible to change a destination.

* In certain cases where both ANA and Air Japan operate flights over the same sector, passengers may switch between the 2 airlines.

・Reserved partner flight awards cannot be changed to ANA international flight awards.
Old May 14, 2014, 5:29 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamon, IHG Spire
Does anyone know the deadline to make a date change? If I have a flight tomorrow, can I change it to next week?
Old May 14, 2014, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by johnnie198x
Does anyone know the deadline to make a date change? If I have a flight tomorrow, can I change it to next week?
If an ANA redemption, then you can change up until the day before departure. If a partner redemption, then you can only change until four days prior to departure.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 9:04 am

What about changing the date for a return flight once award ticket trip has already began? The rules mentioned does not seem to mention about what is possible after first leg of journey.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I used NH miles for an all UA redemption in F for INTL.

UA changed the equipment on my flight from 3 class to 2 class so F is no longer available. I am now in J but miles deducted were for all F.

Am I due a refund of miles or can/will NH request UA to open up a seat in F on an earlier flight on the same day.

TIA for any info on this.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by gadhawinner
What about changing the date for a return flight once award ticket trip has already began? The rules mentioned does not seem to mention about what is possible after first leg of journey.
Yes, you can change the date (and only the date) of your return leg(s) as long as it is within 1 year of your departure date.

Originally Posted by cruisr
UA changed the equipment on my flight from 3 class to 2 class so F is no longer available. I am now in J but miles deducted were for all F.

Am I due a refund of miles or can/will NH request UA to open up a seat in F on an earlier flight on the same day.
Is any part of your itinerary still in F? If so, then you're still obligated to pay the mileage cost for F. If not, I would call AMC and explain the situation.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by armagebedar
Yes, you can change the date (and only the date) of your return leg(s) as long as it is within 1 year of your departure date.
Has this changed since implementation of the new award chart? I.E. can I still change an award after the first leg has been flown?

Also - does ANA tend to open up remaining business class seats as award seats closer to departure? I'm looking at an award that departs in 6 days and returns in 2 weeks times. The return is not currently available...

Thanks!

Last edited by Fc912; Jan 6, 2016 at 6:23 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.