Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA award change policy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2020, 12:20 pm

Programs: Equal Opportunity Mileage Junkie
Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu
1. A ticket validity is 1 year from the date of original issue.
i.e You have to use the ticket before 1 year from the original issue.
So, if you want to move the first segment beyond 1 year validity, you have to cancel the ticket, and book another ticket.
2. After the first segment is used, the ticket validity is 1 year from the first flight.
That's all.
Learned this one the hard way - booked an award reservation April 12, 2019 for travel in March 2020. Attempting to change dates online to something past April 2020 was impossible.
I had to wait 2 hours on hold to reach someone yesterday; however, once I did reach an agent the process was very quick and efficient. They also noted that they would be unable to change the award ticket, and that cancellation was the best method to ensure I could rebook for later this year. They also noted that this was the only way to complete this process, hence the long wait times. One positive thing - the refund of my miles was prompt and complete within minutes without the 3000 mile penalty.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 7:47 am

So, if you want to move the first segment beyond 1 year validity, you have to cancel the ticket, and book another ticket.
2. After the first segment is used, the ticket validity is 1 year from the first flight.
That's all.
Thanks for the clarification! To check, does that mean that if I want to change the second leg of the trip to over a year out from the original date of booking, I have to had flown the first leg of the trip? e.g. if I want to make a dummy booking to lock in the first leg of the trip while there's still availability, but then I want to change the return trip to something a month-ish out from the first leg (thus going past a year of original booking on the return), would that be doable online or over the phone?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:53 pm

Programs: NH/AS/WN
FYI, tkts must be used in coupon sequence. By skipping the 1st segment, the remaining coupons become
invalid, resulting in the need to purchase a new ticket.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 3:20 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
That's all.
Originally Posted by slowreactor
Thanks for the clarification! To check, does that mean that if I want to change the second leg of the trip to over a year out from the original date of booking, I have to had flown the first leg of the trip? e.g. if I want to make a dummy booking to lock in the first leg of the trip while there's still availability, but then I want to change the return trip to something a month-ish out from the first leg (thus going past a year of original booking on the return), would that be doable online or over the phone?
I'd like some clarification on this too. Just as an example, say on Feb 1 I book the following:
Jan 15: SFO-NRT
Jan 20: NRT-SFO

then on Mar 1 the calendar has moved and I want to change to:
Feb 5: NRT-SFO

is this possible by calling in, given that the ticket will be valid for a year from Jan 15. Or do you have to actually fly the first segment before you can change the second one to a date further than one year from the date of issue?
Old Apr 20, 2020, 5:27 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
I'd like some clarification on this too. Just as an example, say on Feb 1 I book the following:
Jan 20: NRT-SFO

then on Mar 1 the calendar has moved and I want to change to:
Feb 5: NRT-SFO

is this possible by calling in, given that the ticket will be valid for a year from Jan 15. Or do you have to actually fly the first segment before you can change the second one to a date further than one year from the date of issue?
You can change the second flight to Feb. 5th on Mar 1st by calling ANA.
Usually, you can change award booking by web site. Unfortunately, you can change award flight date to only 1 year from the original issue date via online.
So, in this case, you have to call.
I did this several times.

Off topic about award booking change on another Japanese airline.
JAL doesn't permit this award change. You can change the date to only 1 year from the original issue date before the first segment flown.

EDITED for clarity
JAL permits this type of change AFTER you flew the first segment. So, after you flew the first segment of JAL issued award, you can change subsequent segments to 1 year from the first segment.

Last edited by Wasabi Tofu; Apr 20, 2020 at 9:51 pm
Old Apr 20, 2020, 12:36 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
You can change the second flight to Feb. 5th on Mar 1st by calling ANA.
Usually, you can change award booking by web site. Unfortunately, you can change award flight date to only 1 year from the original issue date via online.
So, in this case, you have to call.
I did this several times.

Off topic about award booking change on another Japanese airline.
JAL doesn't permit this award change. You can change the date to only 1 year from the original issue date before the first segment flown.
That's good to know as well, thank you. At least they allow it though. I got bit recently when Asia Miles confirmed that their tickets are valid 1yr from date of issue, period. Must complete all segments within 1yr, so if you book right when the window opens you basically cannot move your dates any further.

Anyway thanks for the confirmation. Calling in won't be an issue.
Old May 11, 2020, 9:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I currently have a round-trip ANA Star Alliance ticket. Itinerary is EWR -> MNL with a stop in PEK (UA -> CA) (and then a return leg)

PEK-> MNL on 12/27/2020 seems to be completely gone though - I can't buy it online anywhere, but my ticket still shows the itinerary as active and I still have seat assignments.

Any idea what's going on here? I haven't been able to call into ANA since their hours have been reduced due to the Coronavirus, but does anyone know what my options here might be?
Old May 11, 2020, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Martellus
I currently have a round-trip ANA Star Alliance ticket. Itinerary is EWR -> MNL with a stop in PEK (UA -> CA) (and then a return leg)

PEK-> MNL on 12/27/2020 seems to be completely gone though - I can't buy it online anywhere, but my ticket still shows the itinerary as active and I still have seat assignments.

Any idea what's going on here? I haven't been able to call into ANA since their hours have been reduced due to the Coronavirus, but does anyone know what my options here might be?
Wait for a good while. . No waivers cover December, and no one knows what will happen with schedules for December yet. And there is limited urgency.
Old May 17, 2020, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Another question:

I currently have a RT Star Alliance award. Outbound is EWR -> NRT on United. Return is HND -> JFK on ANA.

Can I change the HND -> JFK leg on ANA to HND -> EWR nn UA? (Along with a date change) The UA dates work better for me. I'm technically not changing the routing but I am changing from ANA to UA in this case.
Old May 17, 2020, 11:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Martellus
Another question:

I currently have a RT Star Alliance award. Outbound is EWR -> NRT on United. Return is HND -> JFK on ANA.

Can I change the HND -> JFK leg on ANA to HND -> EWR nn UA? (Along with a date change) The UA dates work better for me. I'm technically not changing the routing but I am changing from ANA to UA in this case.
Changing the carrier is considered a redeposit and reissue. You’d have a new PNR. 3k points for change fee. If your dates are within the waiver period then no fee.
Old May 25, 2020, 12:43 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Does ANA issue refund on miles/taxes for partially used award?

Currently holding a RT ticket booked in Aug 2019 on BR, first segment was used immediately and return segment is coming up next month. There's so far no changes on flight schedule but restriction on travel doesn't seem to be lifting. Given the 1 year expiry after ticket issue, there's not much room for postponing the return segment even with availability so I'm just trying to figure out my options before calling.
kevin111260 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 5:41 pm

I am looking to book an award trip to SE Asia: JFK-BKK, SGN-JFK in early 07/2021 and returning 3 weeks later. Since I want to book the departing flight (JFK-BKK) right after it is available, can I do the following:
1. When award tickets open up early 07/2020, book SGN-JFK (dummy) and JFK-BKK.
2. At the end of July, change the date of the dummy flight SGN-JFK to the end of July 2021. Would the flight JFK-BKK still be valid?
Thanks.

Last edited by asdfghjk; Jul 1, 2020 at 5:48 pm
Old Jul 2, 2020, 1:30 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by asdfghjk
I am looking to book an award trip to SE Asia: JFK-BKK, SGN-JFK in early 07/2021 and returning 3 weeks later. Since I want to book the departing flight (JFK-BKK) right after it is available, can I do the following:
1. When award tickets open up early 07/2020, book SGN-JFK (dummy) and JFK-BKK.
2. At the end of July, change the date of the dummy flight SGN-JFK to the end of July 2021. Would the flight JFK-BKK still be valid?
Thanks.
Basically, you are right.
However, you can change your return flights SGN-TYO-JFK to only 1 year from the original ticketing date via online.
If you want to change SGN-TYO-JFK to out of 1 year period from the original ticketing date, you have to call AMC desk.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 7:42 am

Basically, you are right.
However, you can change your return flights SGN-TYO-JFK to only 1 year from the original ticketing date via online.
If you want to change SGN-TYO-JFK to out of 1 year period from the original ticketing date, you have to call AMC desk.
Thank you.
If the dummy flight, JFK-BKK, is not available, I can book a waitlisted ticket, and it would still be the same right?
Also, changing the flight pass the one year mark by phone is allowed by rule or I have to beg?

Edit: When I searched for the trip: SGN-TYO-NYC & NYC-TYO-BKK, I got the message "This service is not available for the specified itinerary". After some reading, I found out that open jaw is not allowed between SGN & BKK. So for the first flight, can I book BKK-TYO-NYC then change to SGN-TYO-NYC later together with changing the date? Thanks.

Last edited by asdfghjk; Jul 3, 2020 at 5:49 am
Old Jul 3, 2020, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by asdfghjk
Thank you.
If the dummy flight, JFK-BKK, is not available, I can book a waitlisted ticket, and it would still be the same right?
Yes, you can ask waitlist for ANA award (not star alliance award).
Also, changing the flight pass the one year mark by phone is allowed by rule or I have to beg?
It's rule. ANA's web site couldn't handle this type of reservation change(i.e, flights beyond 1 year ticket validity).

Edit: When I searched for the trip: SGN-TYO-NYC & NYC-TYO-BKK, I got the message "This service is not available for the specified itinerary". After some reading, I found out that open jaw is not allowed between SGN & BKK. So for the first flight, can I book BKK-TYO-NYC then change to SGN-TYO-NYC later together with changing the date? Thanks.
SGN-xTYO-NYC-xTYO-BKK is an invalid routing.
NYC-xTYO-SGN//BKK-xTYO-NYC is a valid routing.

Furthermore, routing change isn't permitted. So, not your case,
you can't change NYC-TYO-BKK-TYO-NYC to BKK-TYO-NYC-TYO-BKK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.