Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA award change policy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2024, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Yes. I have only ever transferred to ANA when I had a specific trip to book and there was availability. Having lots of points just sitting there is an awful strategy bc of that expiry. I’ve been using them at crap value for two years just to burn through them. Still have 90k in there and am going to use for a trip I will enjoy but don’t really have time for this year. Just bc the miles are expiring in March. Between RT, expiration, high fees, and difficult website then long hold times, I loathe using this points now.
I cannot disagree more. If you really want to book ANA award tickets repeatedly, parking your miles in ANA is a must. I flewed ANA first class 4 times already (twice after COVID, twice before; each time, 2 seats), and while it's difficult to book, it's not impossible. But I can say for sure that, had I not parked my miles there, I wouldn't be able to fly even once. On the other hand, I actually like the fact that their miles expired in 3 years. It gave me an advantage because people who aren't willing to take the the risk to park their miles won't be able to compete with me.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 7:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by toyssamurai
I cannot disagree more. If you really want to book ANA award tickets repeatedly, parking your miles in ANA is a must. I flewed ANA first class 4 times already (twice after COVID, twice before; each time, 2 seats), and while it's difficult to book, it's not impossible. But I can say for sure that, had I not parked my miles there, I wouldn't be able to fly even once. On the other hand, I actually like the fact that their miles expired in 3 years. It gave me an advantage because people who aren't willing to take the the risk to park their miles won't be able to compete with me.
No need to park miles in ANA when you can easily transfer them when the need arises. And for people who do not “want to book ANA award tickets repeatedly” then no reason to let miles sit there when they could be accessible and used for other transfers.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
No need to park miles in ANA when you can easily transfer them when the need arises. And for people who do not “want to book ANA award tickets repeatedly” then no reason to let miles sit there when they could be accessible and used for other transfers.
The problem is whether ANA will hold the seat for you while waiting for the transfer, and transfers from AMEX is not necessarily instant, often days.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The problem is whether ANA will hold the seat for you while waiting for the transfer, and transfers from AMEX is not necessarily instant, often days.
Wow what a bummer. Yet another reason to add to my list of why I use VS/AC/UA. Though TBH these days trying to book anything via AC is a joke.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 10:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
If I’m actively looking or strategizing for an award seat then to me that’s not “parking” miles. That’s planning. In that situation I would transfer points well ahead. But to just randomly move points over to ANA for some future maybe trip somewhere as-yet-unknown seems foolish given the expiry and partner award restrictions (like only OW).
Jinxed_K likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 11:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Fortune Wings Club Gold
I like the 3k cancellation fee. It reduces the number of speculative awards booked which increases total availability. Just mentally add on an extra 3k miles to every redemption - it'll remain cheaper than every other star alliance program. Similarly, the transfer time from amex decreases the number of miles people are willing to park in ANA and increases availability.
Ted S likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 7:42 am

Programs: EVA, FLYING BLUE, UNITED
Based on my experience, if your original reservation is made via US website, you are stuck in this time zone even if you use VPN to log into the Tokyo website, you are re-directed by to US website to make that change.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 7:50 am

Programs: EVA, FLYING BLUE, UNITED
Yes you can change the return flight to be returning within 1 year of the departure date and you can make that change even after you have started the trip.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by aquanine
Similarly, the transfer time from amex decreases the number of miles people are willing to park in ANA and increases availability.
Why wouldn't people use other FF programs to book these same awards on NH metal? It seems to me ANA needs to relax its requirements (on RT redemption and/or mileage expiration) to get more people to use its program, especially after the recent devaluation affecting some popular routes.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 11:08 am

I have a 2J West Coast - NRT reservation for next year. If I find and change NRT to HND do I have to pay the revised (devalued) price or given it's same city and dates it would be same price?
Old Apr 12, 2024, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by freegunnersaurus
I have a 2J West Coast - NRT reservation for next year. If I find and change NRT to HND do I have to pay the revised (devalued) price or given it's same city and dates it would be same price?
Will be repriced with any change, unless a segment has already been traveled.

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/amc/part...-info-mileage/
​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.