Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

75K/100K AA (SWU-Like) International Upgrades on a Very Limited Number of AA Routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

75K/100K AA (SWU-Like) International Upgrades on a Very Limited Number of AA Routes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2021, 10:54 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I initially dismissed this offer, but thanks to the above tips, I was able to book SJC-LAX-LHR-LIS and return for a very reasonable $436, with upgrades confirmed on the long-haul segments. I initially used the award method to suggest possible dates, then confirmed availability (after resubscribing) with ExpertFlyer. The phone agent processed everything quickly.

I don't know exactly what the future holds, but this definitely gives me something more to look forward to!
channa and Mauibaby2008 like this.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 11:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Just a reminder that these aren't MRs. C upgrades on AA earn EQM on the underlying fare code purchased. Q & O fares earn 25% EQM.

James
Old Apr 11, 2021, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Just a reminder that these aren't MRs. C upgrades on AA earn EQM on the underlying fare code purchased. Q & O fares earn 25% EQM.
James
And that right there folks will be the primary reason AS elites continue to fly AS metal and AA elites continue to fly AA metal...unless I'm in paid business on AA, there is no way I would do a mileage run in discounted coach on AA especially during the 50% EQM bonus promotion on AS.
joachimm and Flying for Fun like this.

Last edited by dayone; Apr 11, 2021 at 1:03 pm Reason: Redact quoted image for readability.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 3:11 pm
Formerly known as rwk32882

Programs: IHTFP, AS 75k, AA EXP, AC 75k, ex-UA 1K, Ex-BD *G (RIP), SPG Gold
Has anyone tried to use these in conjunction with AA SWU's? I'd like to ticket an itinerary for two people that uses two AA SWUs in one direction (on a route not eligible for the AS upgrade) and two AS "SWUs" on the deturn.

The first person I spoke with at the special AA number (1-800-262-7206) told me that is was necessary to split the itinerary into two PNRs, which of course screws up pricing.

I will be calling back again in an hour or so. Has anyone else tried this?
Old Apr 11, 2021, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Roaming Ryan
Has anyone tried to use these in conjunction with AA SWU's? I'd like to ticket an itinerary for two people that uses two AA SWUs in one direction (on a route not eligible for the AS upgrade) and two AS "SWUs" on the deturn.

The first person I spoke with at the special AA number (1-800-262-7206) told me that is was necessary to split the itinerary into two PNRs, which of course screws up pricing.

I will be calling back again in an hour or so. Has anyone else tried this?
I think this is down to the agent either not quite knowing how to work with these certificates, or misinterpreting what you are saying. I've upgraded before with a SWU one-way and miles the other, so using one type of instrument on the outbound and a different on the inbound shouldn't be a problem. They usually need to split the PNRs when you are looking to upgrade one person with a particular instrument, and the other with a separate instrument on one flight. In that case, they need to split the records.

But I don't know why they would need to split it in this case. I'd definitely HUCA, and then maybe just apply the AS upgrades first, and then call back to do the SWUs in another transaction.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 10:52 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by mikew99
I initially dismissed this offer, but thanks to the above tips, I was able to book SJC-LAX-LHR-LIS and return for a very reasonable $436, with upgrades confirmed on the long-haul segments. I initially used the award method to suggest possible dates, then confirmed availability (after resubscribing) with ExpertFlyer. The phone agent processed everything quickly.

I don't know exactly what the future holds, but this definitely gives me something more to look forward to!
love this, but how are you getting this routing to come up? I tried multi city it but nothing? What am I doing wrong I’ve been out of the game for awhile lol
Old Apr 13, 2021, 10:54 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
love this, but how are you getting this routing to come up? I tried multi city it but nothing? What am I doing wrong I’ve been out of the game for awhile lol
You have to utilize the Matrix ITA software (https://matrix.itasoftware.com) with either the Book with Matrix website or the PowerTools extension. There’s a thread about it somewhere on this website someone will link
mikew99 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 10:55 pm

Programs: AS 100K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
From GFlights, search a roundtrip with AA specified as carrier, LAX and LHR as allowable connection airports, search by date for cheap flights. Note the ones it highlights will likely be the 1-stops, so you may need to expand to "other" flights to get the option you actually want.

If familiar, you can also use ITA Matrix with the layovers forced.
mikew99 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 1:54 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Will AS offer this for 75k'ers who qualify later this year? What do you guys think?

(My instinct is it's not likely. But I hope I'm wrong.) (Their pass-through of their member-db may have been "75kers on Jan 1st, 2021" or "75kers in 2020, and nearing requal in 2021" or something like that.)
Old Apr 15, 2021, 2:47 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Will AS offer this for 75k'ers who qualify later this year?

[...]

(Their pass-through of their member-db may have been "75kers on Jan 1st, 2021" or "75kers in 2020, and nearing requal in 2021" or something like that.)
The initial grant was to 75Ks who qualified in 2019 and 2020 (I don't know about those who qualified prior to April 6). Those who qualified and will qualify in 2021 will be granted when IT is able to add that rolling capture functionality, probably in a couple of months.
simonsuo likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 11:25 pm

For international upgrade certs given to MVP75k can it be applied to another persons reservation?
Old Apr 15, 2021, 11:35 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by alaskaforlife
For international upgrade certs given to MVP75k can it be applied to another persons reservation?
If it's the same T&Cs as AA SWU, then yes, they can be applied to another persons reservation. Just be weary that AA cracks down on selling of such certificates, so giving it to someone not at all associated with you is usually a red flag for them.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by LeonS
I booked SEA - LHR - SEA for August 2021.

(1) I booked on alaska.com for ~$1,037 (it was ~$40 cheaper to book the itinerary on the Alaska site Vs aa.com; also in case I need to cancel I'd rather have the cash in my Alaska wallet)
Originally Posted by johnp012001
THe Sea-Lhr flights are sold with an AS flight number. It initially shows the AA flight number but will show the AS flight number when you get to your cart (doesn't show in the app). AA 155/156 are AS 8055/8056. Great way to get 100% AS miles. Too bad they are only selling coach!
Delving into the AS fare rules, AS codeshares on AA operated flights between SEA and LHR I did see reference to "beta testing" and likely why only Main cabin fares are being offered at this time.

It should also be noted that a $125 fee for changes & cancellations is specified in the fare rules and that is consistent with the verbage seen on a dummy booking.

Change and cancellation rules

• For tickets purchased less than 24 hours from your scheduled departure time, you are subject to fees of $125 USD per person.
  • For tickets purchased 24 hours or more prior to your scheduled departure time, you may make one change to this itinerary, or you may cancel and refund it to the original form of payment within 24 hours of the original purchase date with no fee.
  • Service charges may apply to any changes made once the ticket has been purchased.
  • Change and cancellation fees are waived for all MVP® Gold and Gold 75K Mileage Plan members.

James
Old Apr 17, 2021, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
You have to utilize the Matrix ITA software (https://matrix.itasoftware.com) with either the Book with Matrix website or the PowerTools extension. There’s a thread about it somewhere on this website someone will link
Using GF, a multi-city search SFO-SEA, SEA-LIS, LIS-SEA, SEA-SFO will also yield results quickly. Make sure the departure dates are the same for the outbound and the same for the return. Look for options that are AA, BA from SEA & BA, AA from LIS to avoid the BA codeshares. You can also search and book this directly on AA using multi-city.

I ended up booking SFO-SEA(AS)-LHR(AA)-LIS(BA)-LHR(BA)-LAX(AA)-SFO(AA) for $436 return for early September. No problem finding C availability on the outbound. On the return, I found both A & C upgrade availability on AA137 (77W) LHR-LAX. Too bad you can't double-upgrade!

The timing of AA137, 12:10 pm departure, was a challenge for connecting the same day on BA from LIS. There is only one early flight that would connect and it wasn't fair with the fare.

I booked the LIS-LHR segment the day prior forcing a 22 hour layover at LHR. I will visit a friend & then fly LHR-LAX on the 77W, if the flights actually fly and I am permitted to board and enter those countries. I think September is too soon but no harm in exchanging Flight credits for an itinerary. I book with the expectation that I won't be flying.

I already had Trip credits with AA from voluntary cancellations so the out-of-pocket additional loan to AA was minimal. The AA agent advised that two domestic or one International Trip Credit could be applied to my International itinerary.

James
Old Apr 17, 2021, 4:22 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Using GF, a multi-city search SFO-SEA, SEA-LIS, LIS-SEA, SEA-SFO will also yield results quickly. Make sure the departure dates are the same for the outbound and the same for the return. Look for options that are AA, BA from SEA & BA, AA from LIS to avoid the BA codeshares. You can also search and book this directly on AA using multi-city.

I ended up booking SFO-SEA(AS)-LHR(AA)-LIS(BA)-LHR(BA)-LAX(AA)-SFO(AA) for $436 return for early September. No problem finding C availability on the outbound. On the return, I found both A & C upgrade availability on AA137 (77W) LHR-LAX. Too bad you can't double-upgrade!

The timing of AA137, 12:10 pm departure, was a challenge for connecting the same day on BA from LIS. There is only one early flight that would connect and it wasn't fair with the fare.

I booked the LIS-LHR segment the day prior forcing a 22 hour layover at LHR. I will visit a friend & then fly LHR-LAX on the 77W, if the flights actually fly and I am permitted to board and enter those countries. I think September is too soon but no harm in exchanging Flight credits for an itinerary. I book with the expectation that I won't be flying.

I already had Trip credits with AA from voluntary cancellations so the out-of-pocket additional loan to AA was minimal. The AA agent advised that two domestic or one International Trip Credit could be applied to my International itinerary.

James
Ohh... this can be AA-ticketed? (And then one can apply the AS "instruments" via calling AA?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.