Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

75K/100K AA (SWU-Like) International Upgrades on a Very Limited Number of AA Routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

75K/100K AA (SWU-Like) International Upgrades on a Very Limited Number of AA Routes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2021, 5:45 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Ohh... this can be AA-ticketed? (And then one can apply the AS "instruments" via calling AA?)
Yes and these are AA instruments, not AS.

futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 6:02 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Yes and these are AA instruments, not AS.

[...]
I see! They must be AA-ticketed, and (as you said) these are AA-instruments (not AS).

Sometimes I can't read.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Using GF, a multi-city search SFO-SEA, SEA-LIS, LIS-SEA, SEA-SFO will also yield results quickly.
Great that that worked out for you.

One thing to keep in mind is AA uses quite a bit of married segment availability, so searching GF in that manner may yield different prices than what you can actually ticket (sometimes a good fare will quote but not ticket if you picked a lower fare than is available all the way through), or you could overpay booking this way (if it picks a higher fare than is available all the way through). It's more reliable to search all the way thru with either ITA or GF requesting connections of SEA, LAX, LHR and then pick the flights that qualify for the SWU.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 11:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by channa
Great that that worked out for you.

One thing to keep in mind is AA uses quite a bit of married segment availability, so searching GF in that manner may yield different prices than what you can actually ticket (sometimes a good fare will quote but not ticket if you picked a lower fare than is available all the way through), or you could overpay booking this way (if it picks a higher fare than is available all the way through). It's more reliable to search all the way thru with either ITA or GF requesting connections of SEA, LAX, LHR and then pick the flights that qualify for the SWU.
I am aware of limitations and that is good information.

I mentioned it for those that aren't as familiar with ITA Matrix for this route. I confirmed that the pricing in GF was the same as ITA Matrix and that linking to AA from ITA Matrix (Book with Matrix) & GF resulted in a bookable itinerary with the same fare. Also, as noted, you can find the same fare with multi-city directly on AA's website which filters out all the routes that are ineligble.

For my particular route, GF was able to handle a 5th city pair in the multi-city search to get to LHR the day prior to LHR-LAX-SFO as a layover. There is a limitation in AA's search engine that doesn't allow that.

The base fare for O class SFO-LIS is $55 each way, $110 return. The other $326 is Carrier Imposed Surcharges, fees & taxes making up 75% of the fare.

James
channa likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Apparently SEA-LHR is “pausing in July due to low demand”.

As if November is going to be HIGH demand?
dayone likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Do I assume correctly that no one who got matched to 75k through the recent promo received certs?
Old Apr 23, 2021, 1:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Just booked an Ireland trip for November with a plan to use the two comped AA systemwides. This included SEA-LHR and LHR-LAX segments, both with up-front availability per Expert Flyer. In my discussion with the AA agent, they say these upgrades are only valid TO the UK and not for the return. The e-mail from Alaska lists a bunch of one way routes originating in the US, but at the very end does have language to lead one to believe they are good for return departures from the UK, also:

Upgrades to business/first from London Heathrow to the U.S. will be subject to the premium tax charged by Great Britain, which varies based on the ultimate destination."
So, my question here is are they valid for LHR-SEA/LAX departures or not? The routes in the e-mail are listed as one-way from LAX or SEA, but the fine print at the end would clearly indicate they're good coming back to the U.S., too. Why else would they disclose the UK tax information on business seats if they didn't intend for the upgrade product to be used there?

Anyone?
Old Apr 23, 2021, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Just booked an Ireland trip for November with a plan to use the two comped AA systemwides. This included SEA-LHR and LHR-LAX segments, both with up-front availability per Expert Flyer. In my discussion with the AA agent, they say these upgrades are only valid TO the UK and not for the return. The e-mail from Alaska lists a bunch of one way routes originating in the US, but at the very end does have language to lead one to believe they are good for return departures from the UK, also:

So, my question here is are they valid for LHR-SEA/LAX departures or not? The routes in the e-mail are listed as one-way from LAX or SEA, but the fine print at the end would clearly indicate they're good coming back to the U.S., too. Why else would they disclose the UK tax information on business seats if they didn't intend for the upgrade product to be used there?

Anyone?
The agent was incorrect. Hang up, call back.

I've successfully applied them for my return leg (LHR-LAX) as have many others.
tom911 and ACBLtd like this.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 1:43 pm

Talked to an agent in Boise who referred me back to the main body of the letter about one-way routes from the U.S.. We weren't making much headway about the section on taxes for upgrades to business from the UK, which to me implies the product can be used there, and he said I could follow-up on that section with customer service. Now on hold with Customer Care (thought that's who I dialed to begin with, as I have it stored on my phone, but i guess not). This Customer Care agent does seem to grasp what I'm saying. I know this is all new and there may be some bugs, but hopefully it all gets sorted out, even if the easiest solution is to try another AA agent.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 1:53 pm

Not making any headway for now. Customer Care talked to someone else who seemed to agree with my reading of the e-mail, but he said he really needs to hear from someone on the marketing side to get a final ruling as to what they intended, so he's going to send out a few e-mails to folks in that department and get back with me. The flight I'm waiting on has several seats so don't think it's time-sensitive that it needs to be sorted out today.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 1:53 pm

These are AA instruments, not AS, call AA back.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 1:57 pm

^ it actually is time-sensitive, this inventory can go very quickly.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 1:57 pm

The agent was incorrect. Hang up, call back.

I've successfully applied them for my return leg (LHR-LAX) as have many others.
The AA agent read me the exact same language as the agent in Boise did about one-way routes from the U.S. Let me give Alaska a day to get back to me before I call AA again.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 2:00 pm

These are AA instruments, not AS, call AA back.
I gave the agent the promo code and she knew what I was talking about. SEA-LHR has cleared.

^ it actually is time-sensitive, this inventory can go very quickly.
I have 17 years experience with AA systemwides. Think I'm safe with the date I selected and the amount of inventory for a flight 7 months away.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 2:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tom911

Anyone?
I have SEA-LHR & LHR-LAX confirmed on my itinerary. I also checked EF for availability. There was even A space on LHR-LAX for my date in early September.

I put my reservation on hold and called AA to confirm and apply the instrument as well as apply some Trip Credits I had.

James
tom911, haroon145 and NoLaGent like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.