Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

75K/100K AA (SWU-Like) International Upgrades on a Very Limited Number of AA Routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

75K/100K AA (SWU-Like) International Upgrades on a Very Limited Number of AA Routes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2021, 2:52 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by tom911
I gave the agent the promo code and she knew what I was talking about. SEA-LHR has cleared.

I have 17 years experience with AA systemwides. Think I'm safe with the date I selected and the amount of inventory for a flight 7 months away.
1. I sure hope the AS agents knew what you were talking about as well, otherwise there's a problem here! And SEA-LHR was cleared by AA, not AS. The only thing that matters in regards to this subject is what AA knows and has or has not confirmed with your flights.

2. I'm glad you're comfortable with an upgrade that isn't confirmed for you yet, I tend to land in the opposite camp. I've been a member of the AAdvantage program since 1982, so I'm glad we both have a lot of experience when it comes to elevating our travel experiences.

Safe travels!
Old Apr 23, 2021, 3:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Customer Care just called back (good timing as I'm just in from a 2 mile dog walk on the Benicia Marina). He said he spoke to the appropriate person within Alaska and they do confirm they are for use in either direction. I'll try AA again.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 4:28 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
LHR-LAX has cleared. Second agent expressed some surprise it had not cleared earlier as the documentation he looked at says "to/from" on the city list. Maybe the earlier agent was looking at a different document when she quoted me the one-way routes from the U.S as the only ones that qualified for an upgrade.

For those not aware, there have been stellar Ireland fares out there the last few days. SFO departures are as low as $350RT. I passed on a $375 BA trip SFO-LHR-DUB that I was hoping friends could join me for. They're just not ready to fly yet, unfortunately, even that far out. My booking via SEA going and LAX coming back priced at $423 for weekday travel. I try to hit Ireland every year as family comes from there.

My flight has now gone from C5 to C4.

Thank you to all those offering advice, and for Alaska Customer Care for responding so quickly. Think this is only the second or third time in the last 3.5 years I ended up there, as things tend to run pretty smoothly.
Old May 6, 2021, 10:12 pm

Programs: AS 75K, AA EXP, Hilton Gold
As a 75K I asked about the possibility of an upgrade ORD-ATL on Monday. The agents had no idea of what I was talking about.
Old May 7, 2021, 8:12 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bkkth
As a 75K I asked about the possibility of an upgrade ORD-ATL on Monday. The agents had no idea of what I was talking about.
Are you asking about using the special 75K SWUs? If so, they would not apply at all on this route, as they are for a select number of nonstop TATL and TPAC routes, so definitely not any domestic routes.

If talking about a complimentary elite upgrade, then you should have automatically been on the list.
Old May 7, 2021, 3:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k
Originally Posted by bkkth
There's a separate thread on this you may find useful
Policy for and Processing of MVPG 75K Upgrades on AA
Old May 20, 2021, 11:17 pm

Has anyone tried calling AS to request them to retroactively add the AA SWU to our accounts? I read upthread that it is an IT issue for elites that qualified in 2021, but I haven't seen any reports of success.

I guess I should try and report back...
Old May 21, 2021, 2:05 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by anhuang19
Has anyone tried calling AS to request them to retroactively add the AA SWU to our accounts? I read upthread that it is an IT issue for elites that qualified in 2021, but I haven't seen any reports of success.

I guess I should try and report back...
Originally Posted by dayone
The initial grant was to 75Ks who qualified in 2019 and 2020 (I don't know about those who qualified prior to April 6). Those who qualified and will qualify in 2021 will be granted when IT is able to add that rolling capture functionality, probably in a couple of months.
When I checked, AS does not have any more AA codes to give. The initial grant was a batch assignment. There are no more codes to retroactively do anything.

Once built, the on-going code granting process will allow post-qualifiers to be issued codes. There is no interim functionality to respond to one-off requests.

Be aware of the complexity involved in building this new, continuing benefit. Two airlines have to exchange dynamic data, and some AA data (codes) require at least one extra level of security for revenue protection.
anhuang19 and simonsuo like this.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 2:12 pm

I put an AA reservation on hold and successfully applied the 75k coach to business upgrades LAX-HND-LAX for flights in December. Called the AA number listed on the email and call was answered right away and the agent that answered asked if I was using an Alaska upgrade code before I even requested. Very painless.
ACBLtd likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 12:40 am

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
FYI. AA has completely removed SEA-PVG from their schedule. So now down to only 5 routes..
pretzlaff likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 10:00 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Quick question, can I book the AA SEA-LHR flight as a BA code-share then use the upgrade code? I would like to be able to credit the flights as BA flights instead of as AA flights.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 11:13 am

Careful with the codeshares

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
Quick question, can I book the AA SEA-LHR flight as a BA code-share then use the upgrade code? I would like to be able to credit the flights as BA flights instead of as AA flights.
I don't think so (happy to be corrected!). See mileage earning chart for BA at alaskaair.com:
Old Jun 21, 2021, 1:00 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
No, it has to be the AA flt/non code-share to use the upgrade certs.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
To be specific, it can be the AA155 Code Share sold by BA - but it won't credit BA rates to MP. (Several others purchased the ticket from AS instead of AA and were able to apply the upgrades; I wish I had thought of that.)
Old Jun 21, 2021, 1:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by PlowJockey
I don't think so (happy to be corrected!). See mileage earning chart for BA at alaskaair.com:
The AA SEA-LHR codeshares are in the 1500s, so no joy. Thanks for the information.
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
And thus AA unloads the second barrel to nix my idea. Thanks for the information.

I'm just trying to use the "Pseudo-SWUs" and maximize EQM to requalify for MVPG in 22. It's looking like I'll book the AA P fare, which appears to currently be the cheapest fare with 100% EQM, and use the upgrades. Not even sure if that's going to work. Last I checked on EF my October dates showed no C availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.