Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

75K/100K AA (SWU-Like) International Upgrades on a Very Limited Number of AA Routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

75K/100K AA (SWU-Like) International Upgrades on a Very Limited Number of AA Routes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2021, 12:38 pm

Programs: AS Gold 75K and Delta PM, former AA EXP
Just received this email too. My broad assumption is that they will act similarly to AA System Wide Upgrades (SWU) where if there is "C" space available on your route, you can call and apply the upgrade via the coupon code. For example, using ExpertFlyer, I see an LAX-LHR flight for 6/16 on AA and noted 7 seats that have "C" space available. Not confirmed, just my guess

eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 12:42 pm

Yeah kind of what I am assuming too since you have to book on AA.com. Neat perk, but timing through end of year might be hard for some of these destinations. I am not holding my breath that Australia opens up by then (I hope, but seems uncertain).
Old Apr 6, 2021, 12:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, exiled from AA (2.7MM)
Originally Posted by KBOS777
Just received this email too. My broad assumption is that they will act similarly to AA System Wide Upgrades (SWU) where if there is "C" space available on your route, you can call and apply the upgrade via the coupon code. For example, using ExpertFlyer, I an LAX-LHR flight for 6/16 on AA noted 7 seats that have "C" space available. Not confirmed, just my guess

But notice this is a flight operated by BA. Although the transatlantic and Japan JBV are metal-neutral, upgrade instruments never have been in the past, with AA SWU usage. I have two trips booked on eligible routes during the validity period. Despite empty cabins (yes, I know seat reservations don't mean anything), on all the flights for my dates, the ones I'm on and others in that market are C0. The flights operated by the JBV partners as codeshares all have C space.

I'll still waitlist for the upgrAAde and cross my fingers!
Old Apr 6, 2021, 12:49 pm

Programs: AS Gold 75K and Delta PM, former AA EXP
Originally Posted by ACBLtd
But notice this is a flight operated by BA. Although the transatlantic and Japan JBV are metal-neutral, upgrade instruments never have been in the past, with AA SWU usage. I have two trips booked on eligible routes during the validity period. Despite empty cabins (yes, I know seat reservations don't mean anything), on all the flights for my dates, the ones I'm on and others in that market are C0. The flights operated by the JBV partners as codeshares all have C space.

I'll still waitlist for the upgrAAde and cross my fingers!
Great point! Been a while since I've done this There are additional flights that day that include AA "C" space. Great perk!

Old Apr 6, 2021, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I'm willing to roll the dice on a PDX-LAX upgrade not clearing but there is *zero* chance I'm going to pay cash for a ticket on a 10+ hour overseas flight and not have it clear....especially with transatlantic flights being as low as 22.5K (miles) on AA. If the upgrades were good on award tickets, then that would indeed be a game changer.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu
Thanks for the information. Just to clarify, can these process at the time of booking, or is inventory only released at a certain upgrade window before departure?
As stated above, if the proper inventory is available, you can process the upgrade at the time of booking. More often than not, however, you have to waitlist, and monitor with an EF alert (or manually check EF) so that when availability opens up, you can call in to process the upgrade.

The system is set up so that it should process automatically based on waitlist priority, but it's not always real-time. There is sometimes a lag between availability opening up and the system sweeping the waitlist to automatically process upgrades. Hence the utility of the EF alerts and periodic manual checks...to potentially snag an upgrade before the system automatically processes someone ahead of you, or to prevent that from happening to you!

Originally Posted by simonsuo
it's better than nothing, but those 6 routes are not easy to upgrade even for AA EP I assume? And AA is not always price-competitive on those routes either.
I feel like this is the preview for whatever they will be offering in the fall. Hopefully it is a larger selection, especially China and Brazil routes.
Almost no international upgrades on AA are easy far in advance. Upgrade inventory gets released much closer to departure most likely.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 1:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
AA now clears SWU into a subset of C inventory. The change is discussed here: AA changes the confirmed upgrade (C and A ) process [EF now updated]

I'm not seeing any value in these things given the limited routes. Of course I've already got like 6 expiring SWUs, so that may taint my views
Old Apr 6, 2021, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
For those wondering about LAX-HND, it seems to start on October 30th.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 1:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Shame they don't work to GRU/GIG. I'll surely use London in the coming month or so..
Old Apr 6, 2021, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ryan754
Shame they don't work to GRU/GIG. I'll surely use London in the coming month or so..
Definite shame, as South America routes have, over the last few years, had the most advance C upgrade availability.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 1:19 pm

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
Originally Posted by ryan754
They do that on purpose. Upgrades are only eligible for long-haul AA routes departing from west coast (not even PHX-LHR), which is the targeting market for AS. If they give us SWU, imagine how salty the AA elites would be and how many flyers would consider switching loyalty program from AA to AS..
Old Apr 6, 2021, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Did everyone get this? I don't seem to have it, but companion got it (both 75Ks).

Also there's one code but says valid for 2 upgrades?
Old Apr 6, 2021, 1:56 pm

Also doesn't help that AA is really decreasing its LAX hub and focusing on DFW. The flights are more limited and not much upgrade availability on these routes outside of LHR. Prices for LHR Y + upgrade and taxes isn't that much of a smoking deal vs. some of the J prices one can find outside of AA (Highly YMMV though).
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 2:41 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Received email today as well. Yeah would like to use to go from SEA to LHR. Confused initially why 2 flights were only 90 minutes apart and the appreciated one was on BA.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Follow the link in post #10 and read. Expert Flyer (EF) is also your friend for C space search, although not straightforward any more, with both a revenue C and upgrade C now (C used to be only upgrade space, I think). I believe the link in #10 informs on what to do to find upgrade C via EF. Also, at least as late as November 2019, (could have changed, but unlikely) you could only use SWU on AA metal. If I am wrong, don't worry, someone will be along shortly to straighten us both out....lol...good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.