Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

75K/100K AA (SWU-Like) International Upgrades on a Very Limited Number of AA Routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

75K/100K AA (SWU-Like) International Upgrades on a Very Limited Number of AA Routes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2021, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K

A code for 2 one-way AA upgrades just hit my inbox.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 11:24 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
A code for 2 one-way AA SWUs just hit my inbox.
It says these are "space-available upgrades". Are these truly space available, or award inventory available? Also, they don't appear to be SWU (system-wide) upgrades; they are only valid on 6 routes.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 11:26 am
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Same, although it's hardly a "systemwide upgrade" when it can only be used on an extremely select number of routes, most of which are not even allowing entry to Americans right now...

Anyone know / think we'll get an actual SWU later in the year, or is this it? For reference, actual AA elite SWUs are valid on *any* route so long as it is AA metal.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu
It says these are "space-available upgrades". Are these truly space available, or award inventory available? Also, they don't appear to be SWU (system-wide) upgrades; they are only valid on 6 routes.
For upgrades from business to first, AA uses A inventory. for upgrades from economy to business, they use C inventory. (First standard award inventory is Z, and business U).

A and C fare bases are also revenue fare buckets, so you have to use EF to search for upgrade inventory specifically.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 11:28 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
That's a pretty strict SWU, and you need to be at those specific cities first. Just curious, have you already qualified for 75k status on 2022?
I did received an email yesterday about the partnership, and at the end of the page, it says
International upgrades
Also, coming in late 2021, MVP Gold 75K members qualifying for status for 2022 will receive an upgrade certificate valid for travel on eligible American Airlines international routes. Look for more details this Fall.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
In AA language "Space Available" means that the appropriate inventory code is available on a given AA flight either from Y to J, or J to F. Not if there is generally available seats for purchase and an upgrade is guaranteed due to this type of open seat availability. Not familiar with AS routes that these are applicable to.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by simonsuo
That's a pretty strict SWU, and you need to be at those specific cities first. Just curious, have you already qualified for 75k status on 2022?
I did received an email yesterday about the partnership, and at the end of the page, it says
International upgrades
Also, coming in late 2021, MVP Gold 75K members qualifying for status for 2022 will receive an upgrade certificate valid for travel on eligible American Airlines international routes. Look for more details this Fall.
No, I'm a few thousand miles away from requalifying. The email I received yesterday said "And to celebrate our enhanced partnership, American would also like to take your global experience to the next level by offering you a limited-time international upgrade opportunity. Watch your email inbox for details."
Old Apr 6, 2021, 11:43 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by simonsuo
International upgrades
Received as well and It's a far cry from an actual SWU, but a nice gesture on an extremely limited basis.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 11:50 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by DMPHL
For upgrades from business to first, AA uses A inventory. for upgrades from economy to business, they use C inventory. (First standard award inventory is Z, and business U).

A and C fare bases are also revenue fare buckets, so you have to use EF to search for upgrade inventory specifically.
Thanks for the information. Just to clarify, can these process at the time of booking, or is inventory only released at a certain upgrade window before departure?
Old Apr 6, 2021, 11:55 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Thanks for the information. Just to clarify, can these process at the time of booking, or is inventory only released at a certain upgrade window before departure?
If the inventory is there, time of booking.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 12:07 pm

75K AA exclusive route upgrades

Just got an email. Does anyone know how to check upgrades are available before booking?

"Good news travels fast. As an MVP® Gold 75K, you're now eligible for complimentary domestic upgrades* on American Airlines. And to celebrate our enhanced partnership, American would also like to take your global experience to the next level by offering you a limited-time international upgrade opportunity.

Enjoy 2 one-way space available upgrades and experience personalized service and elevated amenities in American Airlines Flagship® First or Flagship® Business.

Upgrades are valid on nonstop flights between:
Los Angeles (LAX) and London (LHR)**
Los Angeles (LAX) and Sydney (SYD)
Los Angeles (LAX) and Tokyo (HND)
Seattle (SEA) and Bangalore (BLR) flights starting 10/30/2021
Seattle (SEA) and London (LHR)**
Seattle (SEA) and Shanghai (PVG) flights starting 6/3/2021
Book by September 30, 2021 for travel through December 31, 2021 — additional restrictions apply.†
haroon145 and anteater like this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 12:10 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
No idea how to check. Was wondering the same.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 12:12 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
it's better than nothing, but those 6 routes are not easy to upgrade even for AA EP I assume? And AA is not always price-competitive on those routes either.
I feel like this is the preview for whatever they will be offering in the fall. Hopefully it is a larger selection, especially China and Brazil routes.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 12:14 pm

I just called AA and the woman was baffled. Maybe its so new it hasn't made the way over to agents. She was very nice and was checking AA's usual "C" class updates from economy to business, but wasn't sure if that was what was needed.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Imagine this books into whatever AA's SWU's book into.
JY1024 may be able to provide us a primer...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.