Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

75K/100K AA (SWU-Like) International Upgrades on a Very Limited Number of AA Routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

75K/100K AA (SWU-Like) International Upgrades on a Very Limited Number of AA Routes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2021, 4:58 pm

Question: I had to change my return to a date where there currently is no C class available to ugprade. So I am back in Economy cabin.

Does American Airlines ever release more C Class as time goes by? Or is it a total lost cause and I should give up all hope of getting the upgrade for this date?
Old Jul 14, 2021, 9:03 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
C class can show up anytime up to departure. I traveled once from DFW to Asia with two friends that I sponsored that did not have any AA status. My upgrade had cleared weeks out when one seat was open, and they miraculously cleared at the gate minutes before boarding. I had a DUB flight for myself, as an EXP flyer, also clear at the gate. It can really happen anywhere up to departure.
LeonS likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 5:37 pm

I got a notification today from expertflyer that C availability opened up.

I called AA right away: they had already secured the upgrade for me (wow!).

Figuring out what I had to pay (Luxury Tax for C-class departing the UK) and re-issuing the ticket was another story. After putting me on hold for 20 minutes, they kindly offered to call me back because they couldn't figure out how to do it. 1 hour later they called back, told me that the last agent that had re-issued my ticket (when I changed the date) made some mistake they shouldn't have done*, asked me to pay $135. 60 for the Luxury Task, and then good to go. Nothing, huh.

I feel bad for the agents involved because this is probably not the most straightforward ticket (even less so because mine was originally issued by Alaska). However, kudos to their agents for the most consistently friendly service I have experienced on any airline call center ever. Is this because (as an MVP 75k with Alaska) I get a priority line? I am seriously wowed by how incredibly helpful they have been, despite the complicated ticket.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 11:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LeonS
I feel bad for the agents involved because this is probably not the most straightforward ticket (even less so because mine was originally issued by Alaska). However, kudos to their agents for the most consistently friendly service I have experienced on any airline call center ever. Is this because (as an MVP 75k with Alaska) I get a priority line? I am seriously wowed by how incredibly helpful they have been, despite the complicated ticket.
To the best of my knowledge, the phone number on the email seems to be some special reservations desk. I also have access to the EXP desk and none of the agents there seem to be familiar or able to do these AS upgrades.
This desk on the other hand, agents all seem pretty friendly and competent (much more so compared to the EXP people). If anyone knows where this number connects to I'd be curious to know!
PlowJockey likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 12:33 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Does anyone remember what the email title was? I lost it in my email and can't seem to find it.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 12:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by rune87
Does anyone remember what the email title was? I lost it in my email and can't seem to find it.
Mine arrived on April 6, 2021 titled "Exclusive upgrade code: Limited-time international upgrades for MVP Gold 75Ks"
Old Jul 30, 2021, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by rune87
"Exclusive upgrade code: Limited-time international upgrades for MVP Gold 75Ks"
Old Jul 30, 2021, 1:08 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Thank you. That did it.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 1:18 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k
More flexible than they seem

Originally Posted by jona970318
To the best of my knowledge, the phone number on the email seems to be some special reservations desk. I also have access to the EXP desk and none of the agents there seem to be familiar or able to do these AS upgrades.
This desk on the other hand, agents all seem pretty friendly and competent (much more so compared to the EXP people). If anyone knows where this number connects to I'd be curious to know!
For a second time, a schedule change required me to be re-ticketed on a trip using these vouchers, and again I've been allowed to transfer the confirmed upgrade to different routes. This time, BA canceled my LHR-MUC flight (and all of them the next day for good measure). AA was willing to (1) change my departure city from SFO to SEA, allowing me to refund my positioning flight; (2) route via DFW to FRA on AA metal. (I'll have to self-transfer to MUC; $70 train ticket.) Note: available C space was required - It did not sound like they could have forced any open.

The return was jammed weeks ago when AA changed the LHR-SEA flight schedule, misconnecting me from FRA. That seemed a more logical change to AA metal, since their own schedule change necessitated rebooking, so I was pleasantly surprised when it worked again when BA was "at fault". Again, I was prepared with info on C inventory for my alternatives. But I wish I had asked to be returned to SEA that time - you can't win if you don't play!

I had layers of backup plans - I've already been through the BA cancellation dance a few times this summer. I will note that these pleasant and skilled AAgents do not have enough guidance about this and so seem a bit more willing to exercise discretion - y'all know this already, but do your homework ahead of time, ask for what you want, and be prepared with alternatives.

hAAppy flying!
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by PlowJockey
For a second time, a schedule change required me to be re-ticketed on a trip using these vouchers, and again I've been allowed to transfer the confirmed upgrade to different routes. This time, BA canceled my LHR-MUC flight (and all of them the next day for good measure). AA was willing to (1) change my departure city from SFO to SEA, allowing me to refund my positioning flight; (2) route via DFW to FRA on AA metal. (I'll have to self-transfer to MUC; $70 train ticket.) Note: available C space was required - It did not sound like they could have forced any open.

The return was jammed weeks ago when AA changed the LHR-SEA flight schedule, misconnecting me from FRA. That seemed a more logical change to AA metal, since their own schedule change necessitated rebooking, so I was pleasantly surprised when it worked again when BA was "at fault". Again, I was prepared with info on C inventory for my alternatives. But I wish I had asked to be returned to SEA that time - you can't win if you don't play!

I had layers of backup plans - I've already been through the BA cancellation dance a few times this summer. I will note that these pleasant and skilled AAgents do not have enough guidance about this and so seem a bit more willing to exercise discretion - y'all know this already, but do your homework ahead of time, ask for what you want, and be prepared with alternatives.

hAAppy flying!
I believe the official rule is they are suppose to protect you on any available flight/itinerary that is selling J seats, regardless of whether C class was available, assuming that when you upgraded they reissued your ticket with the over-water flight in J. Although in practice, my experience has been that very few agent (including at the EXP desk) know about this rule
Old Aug 2, 2021, 3:52 pm

Does anyone see ANY decent priced routing that would work in September October or November? (which has C space). I know earlier Dublin and maybe Madrid or Barcelona were good but nothing now. I’m based out of lax but anything lax sfo or even Seattle I’d be happy with (best value)
Old Aug 2, 2021, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by dave9lax
Does anyone see ANY decent priced routing that would work in September October or November? (which has C space). I know earlier Dublin and maybe Madrid or Barcelona were good but nothing now. I’m based out of lax but anything lax sfo or even Seattle I’d be happy with (best value)
Personally just booked a LAX-ATH trip for end of August, routing through LHR on the way there. $780/pp ai, not amazing but certainly not bad at all for that part of europe
Old Aug 2, 2021, 8:14 pm

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
I never received the code via email but was able to get it by calling in. They just gave me one code. Should there be 2 or the same code can be used twice? Can I use it for myself and my partner one way, or must it only be used by the person who received the code? Otherwise, could I use them for 2 one-way tickets for myself and then book the ex-EU tickets which are cheaper than exUS?
Old Aug 2, 2021, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
I never received the code via email but was able to get it by calling in. They just gave me one code. Should there be 2 or the same code can be used twice? Can I use it for myself and my partner one way, or must it only be used by the person who received the code? Otherwise, could I use them for 2 one-way tickets for myself and then book the ex-EU tickets which are cheaper than exUS?
I believe we only got one code that can be used twice. It can be either same person twice, or two people once each
Old Aug 16, 2021, 11:49 pm

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
FYI, AA has completely removed LAX-SYD from sale until Apr 30th, 2022. LAX-HND removed from sale until Mar 27th, 2022. SEA-PVG would never launch. Pathetic.

So now the six eligible routes are down to 3: LAX-LHR, SEA-LHR, SEA-BLR (from Nov 6th).

Guess my upgrade certificate will go to waste then.
futuramadramallama likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.