Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

75K/100K AA (SWU-Like) International Upgrades on a Very Limited Number of AA Routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

75K/100K AA (SWU-Like) International Upgrades on a Very Limited Number of AA Routes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2021, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by navydevildoc
Just to pile on, I agree the AA SWU certs are essentially useless.
Ah, during pre-covid times, the LAX - HND would have been useful to many, I think. Before expiration, I was able to find something from CDG back to SFO, but via LHR - SEA; not ideal, but it was a good trade, given the price and J on the long leg.

From my perspective, there were several unforeseen limitations. One, AA SWUs were all extended to June of next year, while there was no process or option to extend AS' quasi- SWUs; 2) covid made these restrictions even more onerous; and, 3) at least during my experience, many of the AA CSRs, even on the ExP line, weren't up to speed on the application of these certs. I had to HUCA twice, and one even tried to impress upon me that I was likely mistaking GGUs for AA SWUs.

It should be smoother next year.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 10:06 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Visconti
Ah, during pre-covid times, the LAX - HND would have been useful to many, I think. Before expiration, I was able to find something from CDG back to SFO, but via LHR - SEA; not ideal, but it was a good trade, given the price and J on the long leg.

From my perspective, there were several unforeseen limitations. One, AA SWUs were all extended to June of next year, while there was no process or option to extend AS' quasi- SWUs; 2) covid made these restrictions even more onerous; and, 3) at least during my experience, many of the AA CSRs, even on the ExP line, weren't up to speed on the application of these certs. I had to HUCA twice, and one even tried to impress upon me that I was likely mistaking GGUs for AA SWUs.

It should be smoother next year.
Did you not call the number in the email with your codes? That number put you in contact with an agent specifically trained & very knowledgeable about their application. I wouldn't expect the ExPlat line to be versed on these codes. You could have also flown via LAX. My SFO-LIS routing was via 772 SEA-LHR on the outbound & 77W LHR-LAX on the inbound.

James
Old Oct 18, 2021, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Did you not call the number in the email with your codes? That number put you in contact with an agent specifically trained & very knowledgeable about their application. I wouldn't expect the ExPlat line to be versed on these codes.
I probably didn't, and likely just used my AA app, which would explain some of the obstacles I had faced getting it implemented.

You could have also flown via LAX. My SFO-LIS routing was via 772 SEA-LHR on the outbound & 77W LHR-LAX on the inbound.
Probably would've been better for me, but I had waited so close to expiration that I was pretty thankful to find an itinerary with systemwide upgrade eligibility.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Visconti
Probably would've been better for me, but I had waited so close to expiration that I was pretty thankful to find an itinerary with systemwide upgrade eligibility.
Hopefully you will get to fly your Itinerary. I booked SFO-SEA-LHR-LIS-LHR-LAX-SFO for $432 and used the codes to upgrade the TATL segments. The first two schedule changes were minor, the third "gifted" me a 9 hour overnight layover in LAX & arriving in SFO a day late, the fourth was a BA cancelation and no other options LHR-LIS to connect to in LHR rendering the itinerary useless. Ultimately I just canceled the itinerary for a full refund. No desire to book another "can I fly these flights" itinerary & the codes expired. I already have international awards booked 5 months ago that I can't fly without some lifting of Covid-19 restrictions. Thankfully, those changes will occur and it looks like it will come to fruition.

James
Visconti likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 4:23 pm
eap

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by eap
I just got a call from AA reservations regarding my lack of a SWU. They conveniently looked in my idle AA account and found none, so they called. Weird. Fortunately, I was able to mention that this was part of the AA/AS promo and all will (hopefully) be good. Better than a headache at the airport in two days...
I spoke too soon. I spent an hour at the LHR T3 transfer desk getting a boarding pass. The agent was very helpful -- but she was stuck escalating on an internal phone tree to get the ticket reissued. I would have preferred to be in a lounge, but no one could print me a boarding pass to get there.

I have no idea what actually went wrong. Hopefully the kinks get worked out before these upgrades become a regular offering.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 7:24 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K
Help please

I qualified for 75k in 2019, but not in 2020 due to Covid lack of travel although of course my status was extended. Should I have received these codes like others in April? If so, I’m afraid I inadvertently deleted the email. Is there anyone else who has been through this? Do I call the MVP # to dig this up? Am I dead in water? Thank you so much to anyone who can help me out. Best,

-Brian
Old Oct 20, 2021, 8:36 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Too late this round....

Originally Posted by Brianblanco
I qualified for 75k in 2019, but not in 2020 due to Covid lack of travel although of course my status was extended. Should I have received these codes like others in April? If so, I’m afraid I inadvertently deleted the email. Is there anyone else who has been through this? Do I call the MVP # to dig this up? Am I dead in water? Thank you so much to anyone who can help me out. Best,

-Brian
Sorry, Brian. It is too late for this round. The original promo was embedded within Alaska Airlines email on August 11th, and had to be booked before September 30, 2021 (for travel before December 31, 2021). It was limited to certain pair of flights, some of which will never see their first day in 2021. Maybe next year....

Jiburi
Brianblanco likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Brianblanco

-Brian
You wouldn't have received any codes Brian since you received 2021 75K status via an extension. They were distributed to MVPG75K members who organically attained/renewed their 75K status in 2020. In essence, they held 2021 75K status without any extension. Your status will be extended a further 4 months until April 30th, 2022. In January, there will be an opportunity to meet a "challenge" (not yet announced what that will be) to renew your status through the end of 2022.

James
Brianblanco likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 2:20 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by navydevildoc
Just to pile on, I agree the AA SWU certs are essentially useless. Great PR, and was probably very cheap for Alaska since very few people will actually use them. Even double so as a SAN based flyer. I have JAL direct to Tokyo, and BA direct to LHR, and there is no regional between SAN and LAX. Japan and the UK are really the only travel destinations that sound appealing right now; and Japan is essentially still closed.
You wouldn't have received any codes Brian since you received 2021 75K status via an extension. They were distributed to MVPG75K members who organically attained/renewed their 75K status in 2020. In essence, they held 2021 75K status without any extension. Your status will be extended a further 4 months until April 30th, 2022. In January, there will be an opportunity to meet a "challenge" (not yet announced what that will be) to renew your status through the end of 2022.

James
WE were both granted extensions to 2021 and received codes via email, so that can’t be the case.

Lala
Old Oct 22, 2021, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by lalala
WE were both granted extensions to 2021 and received codes via email, so that can’t be the case.

Lala
Interesting. This is the first report that I am aware of. Thanks for the data point. Everyone was granted an extension of the status they earned in 2019 through the end of 2021. Some still organically requalified in 2020 for 2021 and didn't use/need the extension. It was my understanding that those who requalified organically received the codes.

James
Old Nov 29, 2021, 9:23 pm

Sadly my upgrades just went to waste as the UK changed its testing and quarantine requirements so our trip to Scotland went poof. Oh well.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 2:13 am

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
FYI, AA is removing LAX-SYD from their schedule effective May 1st, 2022, and SEA-LHR will be gone effective March 25th, 2022. And I actually still have one valid code from compensation last year but I guess it's going to waste. I'm curious if they will give 75K and 100K the actual SWU this year or the same useless ones with 5 fake routes and 1 single route that is actually operating (LAX-LHR unicorn).. Worse case scenario, we might never see those routes return.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 2:30 am

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
Oh also, LAX-HND now pushed back to October 29th, 2022. Good luck using upgrade certificate this year..
Old Feb 20, 2022, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Has this been issued this year for 75K/100K members? I don't see anything in my account, but I may not be looking in the right place?
Old Feb 20, 2022, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by 985X
FYI, AA is removing LAX-SYD from their schedule effective May 1st, 2022, and SEA-LHR will be gone effective March 25th, 2022. And I actually still have one valid code from compensation last year but I guess it's going to waste. I'm curious if they will give 75K and 100K the actual SWU this year or the same useless ones with 5 fake routes and 1 single route that is actually operating (LAX-LHR unicorn).. Worse case scenario, we might never see those routes return.
SEA-LHR-SEA was a nonrev or mileage redemption paradise for quite a while in 2021/2022. I can’t imagine AA would have killed the route during literal peak season for Pacific NW-UK tourism if it made money, and I seriously doubt they’ll start it back up in low season as currently planned (October LOL). I’d be surprised if it came back before Summer 2023, and frankly won’t be surprised if the AA “international hub” in SEA fizzles away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.