Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Schedule Changes (2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2021, 8:41 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
At this point, AS may as well revert back to what they had pre-VX purchase. There is only so much downsizing you can do before people lose interest and move their business elsewhere. They may well be smaller now than they were pre-VX purchase in SFO as it it is in ASMs as they have just decimated the whole operation here. Going back to SEA/PDX/PSP/PVR/SJD and a few other token flights within California should be fine for them. Having completely inconsistent schedules and cancelling flights when everybody else is adding as everything opens up just does nothing to regain confidence. If they do try to rebuild, they will be starting from scratch which will be very costly.
Yeah i just noticed not only did we have to rebook our oak-lih and oak-hnl flights we have had 2 sfo-hnl time changes and now as of yesterday HNL-SFO after aug 16 goes to less than daily (havent looked which days are gone)

plus rerouting via sea /pdx just adds too much time to and from hawaii or even east coast

Last edited by boycruz; Jun 6, 2021 at 8:42 pm Reason: date
Old Jun 6, 2021, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
At this point, AS may as well revert back to what they had pre-VX purchase. There is only so much downsizing you can do before people lose interest and move their business elsewhere. They may well be smaller now than they were pre-VX purchase in SFO as it it is in ASMs as they have just decimated the whole operation here. Going back to SEA/PDX/PSP/PVR/SJD and a few other token flights within California should be fine for them. Having completely inconsistent schedules and cancelling flights when everybody else is adding as everything opens up just does nothing to regain confidence. If they do try to rebuild, they will be starting from scratch which will be very costly.
Seems like maybe they could have done that anyways and skipped spending $4 billion on VX. Glad it wasn’t my money.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Seems like maybe they could have done that anyways and skipped spending $4 billion on VX. Glad it wasn’t my money.
It's given them a much bigger presence at LAX. Even with a reduced schedule so far this year, they've just squeaked ahead of WN for 2021 traffic at LAX.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Looks like tonight is the night so be sure and check reservations for late August through September.
Looks like bulk of changes went through Sep 7th and Sep 8th is new placeholder. SEA-SJC is now 3x mainline +1x RJ daily through Sep 7th and 8x mainline daily on Sep 8th. SEA-SFO is now 8x daily through Sep 7th and then 11x daily starting on Sep 8th.
Bellerina likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 8:24 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
If I book an itinerary with AS that has a layover connecting onto a AA flight (operated by SkyWest), and AA changes the schedule by an hour or more, does AS's involuntary schedule change policy still apply?
Old Jun 7, 2021, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
My late August SFO/ORD has suffered a major schedule change - 11-ish AM is now 7 AM. The return is also about 3 hours earlier - from 6-something PM to 3-something PM. So, now I've got to leave home before the Bay Bridge traffic (i.e., 5am) and miss out on what would have been a pleasant most-of-the-day in Chicago on the return.. The original times worked well for me, booked at a time when I could have chosen AA (or even UA) as nonstop options. (And as one way is in paid F and the other with a GGU, changing airlines at this point, where the fares have shot way up, is not an option.)
Old Jun 7, 2021, 11:00 am

1. Yes
2. Yes if the seats are still available
3. Exit row if are elite...if not then maybe...very unlikely on a Saver ticket

As with all schedule changes, it's best to wait for the dust to settle and call on Monday.
Originally Posted by milespoints
Alaska is asking me to call in about a schedule change for a trip in August. I have a flight that is OGG (Maui) - SFO - BOS. Looking at their website, it seems that the OGG-SFO flight has been canceled. I have a pair tickets with a Companion Fare booked in Main and another pair (with a Companion Fare) booked in Saver. Wondering if you all could help me with a few questions before I call them:
1. If it is indeed a schedule change, would I be able to change the date of the flight? I'd like to depart a day later.
2. I paid to upgrade to Premium Economy on one of the legs, that should still be good on a new flight, correct?
3. Would I be able to ask them to put us in Exit Row seats? Not sure what type of allowance occurs on schedule changes.
Thank you in advance.
Alaska automatically emailed me new flights today. Thanks to PDXPremier for saying to wait, saved me a phone call.
Instead of OGG-SFO-BOS, I now have OGG-SEA-BOS, similar departure but a shorter layover. The seating assignments got a little messed up, though, and I was wondering if anyone had some insights.
1. Two of the tickets are Saver Fares. When I booked in December, they allowed me to pick seats. Now the OGG-SEA seating is unassigned. I know Saver tickets generally aren't assigned until check-in but considering they had seats before, would calling into Alaska make a difference?
2. Two tickets that are Main Fares have seats that were changed to the back rows. On the website, all of the Premium seats are showing as Occupied or "X"ed (actually the majority are X). However, using the app, I can upgrade to Premium seats. I'm just curious why there's a discrepancy between the website and the app.
3. I'm planning on a status match to MVP Gold in July. Should I wait for that to pick exit row seats? Or is it unlikely to happen?
Thank you.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 11:09 am

Programs: AMEX Plat, Chase Sapphire, Alaska
October 13th RDM-LOR disappeared-guess LAX-LOR is going to 4x per week instead of daily. Change was a 24 hour move of dates, no seat changes thankfully.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Buddy16
October 13th RDM-LOR disappeared-guess LAX-LOR is going to 4x per week instead of daily. Change was a 24 hour move of dates, no seat changes thankfully.
What's LOR?

Loreto is LTO, is that what you're referring to?
Old Jun 8, 2021, 1:44 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
3 of my 4 cheap first class flights to FLL from LAX must have just gotten cancelled. They don’t even appear in the app anymore. What are my rights and options before I call if y’all don’t mind? Ideally I’m open to other dates. I only picked those due to the prices. The 4th one which wasn’t cancelled was in October, so I am guessing September just got their bloodbath of cancellations.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 6:17 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
3 of my 4 cheap first class flights to FLL from LAX must have just gotten cancelled. They don’t even appear in the app anymore. What are my rights and options before I call if y’all don’t mind? Ideally I’m open to other dates. I only picked those due to the prices. The 4th one which wasn’t cancelled was in October, so I am guessing September just got their bloodbath of cancellations.
AS cancelled all the non stops from California to FLL until 18 November so far. Refund and rebook on AA/B6 would be the best option at this point. If you are trying to get to Florida on AS from California, they close shop from May to November.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 6:31 am

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k

AS cancelled your booked flight. Call AS and provide them with your preferred alternative and they may give you that flight and be able to keep your confirmation number and thus the locked in price.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Xrayman
AS cancelled your booked flight. Call AS and provide them with your preferred alternative and they may give you that flight and be able to keep your confirmation number and thus the locked in price.
Great advice if the pax wants to overnight in SEA or wait a couple months for the next time AS decides to fly the route. Not very practical though. Flying another airline is really the only practical option during this period.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Yeah, the non-stops from LAX-FLL are always going to be cheaper than going LAX-SEA-FLL, but you also lose over 1,000 EQMs so now that they're cancelled, you should be able to get them to route you LAX-SEA-FLL at their expense....this is one of those situations where you come out ahead in the long run--especially if you have the ability to access the excellent N lounge in SEA.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 10:01 am

Yeah, the non-stops from LAX-FLL are always going to be cheaper than going LAX-SEA-FLL, but you also lose over 1,000 EQMs so now that they're cancelled, you should be able to get them to route you LAX-SEA-FLL at their expense....this is one of those situations where you come out ahead in the long run--especially if you have the ability to access the excellent N lounge in SEA.
Except there is no way to get to SEA in time to catch the one and only flight to FLL which leaves early morning and the late arrival in SEA on the return is also problematic. So going several hours out of one’s way AND having to get a hotel in SEA in both directions is not going to work for most people--especially when you can get a non-stop on another airline for as low as $99 each way.

Just like AS outsourced the vast majority of flights from SFO to OO/QX, they are outsourcing flights east of the Mississippi from California to other airlines. At least with AA people can still get AS miles if they like.

Last edited by sfozrhfco; Jun 8, 2021 at 10:08 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.