Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Schedule Changes (2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2021, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Update: They won’t even route me BOS - LAX without a fare difference 🙄. The flight is a few months away so I’m just wait to call back when it comes closer. Good thing is my flight is protected so AA is currently routing me BDL - ORD - LAX all on AA codes but I thought codeshares are considered AS flights anyways and the ticketing is handled by AS...
So were you asked to call AA?
It's interesting that AA is the one re-routing you while it's AS's job to do that.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 10:12 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
So were you asked to call AA?
It's interesting that AA is the one re-routing you while it's AS's job to do that.
No I called into AS, but they told me that the changes need to have the exact same O/D. But my routing involves a non-AS code flight so I’m a bit confused they told me if I accept it’s protected under AA now.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Update: They won’t even route me BOS - LAX without a fare difference 🙄. The flight is a few months away so I’m just wait to call back when it comes closer. Good thing is my flight is protected so AA is currently routing me BDL - ORD - LAX all on AA codes but I thought codeshares are considered AS flights anyways and the ticketing is handled by AS...
BOS-LAX nonstop doesn't look like it's back on the schedule until November. If your flight is before that they'd probably be booking you to a non-codeshare AA flight.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 1:19 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chrisl137
BOS-LAX nonstop doesn't look like it's back on the schedule until November. If your flight is before that they'd probably be booking you to a non-codeshare AA flight.
Up until a week or two ago I was still seeing AS nonstop LAX-BOS for 11/3-11/7 so I'd be pretty dubious about whether the nonstops showing later in November are real or if they just haven't modified the schedule that fat out yet m
​​​
Old Jun 15, 2021, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
Up until a week or two ago I was still seeing AS nonstop LAX-BOS for 11/3-11/7 so I'd be pretty dubious about whether the nonstops showing later in November are real or if they just haven't modified the schedule that fat out yet m
​​​
The schedule should be updated until 18 November 2021.
I guess that they would wait a bit more to see the demand for Thanksgiving and Christmas before releasing the next schedule update.

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
There must have been a small schedule "tweak" last Saturday night--my SEA-RDU red-eye in November got cancelled (which I hoped it would since it was part of a SEA-RDU-DCA award and what I really wanted was SEA-DCA non-stop so I was waiting/hoping for SEA-RDU to get cancelled). Now I'm on the SEA-DCA non-stop and all is well....another great outcome of a schedule change.
AS also offered me to be rebooked on the direct PDX-DCA when there was a cancellation on my PDX-SEA-BWI flight and I was moved from a red-eye to a 6am departure. However, as I was also planning to maximize mileage ( BA Tier Points to be specific ), the agent agreed to rebook me on PDX-SEA-DCA or PDX-LAX-DCA and I chose the most convenient option that fits into my schedule.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 11:26 am

I had LIH-SEA-ORD daytime flights scheduled for July. The LIH-SEA got schedule changed to an hour later so the SEA connection is no longer possible, and it autobooked me on the SEA-ORD red-eye.

I'm looking at other options since I'd rather do daytime or a longer uninterrupted redeye. I don't fly Alaska very often, so I'm wondering if there's any chance they'd rebook me on AA (OW partner) due to a schedule change, or AS metal only?

Second question: will they let me have a long connection in SEA so I can stay in a hotel overnight and take a late morning flight SEA-ORD? I know most some airlines they won't sell you a (domestic) connection longer than 4 hours unless it's the next available flight, but I'm wondering if this is an option in the schedule change scenario.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 11:37 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by threeoh
I had LIH-SEA-ORD daytime flights scheduled for July. The LIH-SEA got schedule changed to an hour later so the SEA connection is no longer possible, and it autobooked me on the SEA-ORD red-eye.

I'm looking at other options since I'd rather do daytime or a longer uninterrupted redeye. I don't fly Alaska very often, so I'm wondering if there's any chance they'd rebook me on AA (OW partner) due to a schedule change, or AS metal only?

Second question: will they let me have a long connection in SEA so I can stay in a hotel overnight and take a late morning flight SEA-ORD? I know most some airlines they won't sell you a (domestic) connection longer than 4 hours unless it's the next available flight, but I'm wondering if this is an option in the schedule change scenario.
Very unlikely they rebook to AA; can ask but even highest tiers don't get this kind of accommodation industry wide. On the overnight, this is something they are more likely to accommodate presuming the hotel is at your own expense. Also note they won't check through luggage on an overnight of this sort.
simonsuo likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 3:14 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by threeoh

The 4 hours is not a constraint - they should be willing to rebook you onto any AS-operated flights regardless of fare class inventory availability or routing rules. Keep in mind that if you have an overnight layover, you will need to recheck your bags (and pay double the bag fees, if you don't have the credit card or elite status)
Old Jun 22, 2021, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Very unlikely they rebook to AA; can ask but even highest tiers don't get this kind of accommodation industry wide. On the overnight, this is something they are more likely to accommodate presuming the hotel is at your own expense. Also note they won't check through luggage on an overnight of this sort.
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
The 4 hours is not a constraint - they should be willing to rebook you onto any AS-operated flights regardless of fare class inventory availability or routing rules. Keep in mind that if you have an overnight layover, you will need to recheck your bags (and pay double the bag fees, if you don't have the credit card or elite status)
Thanks for the answers. Decided the AA options weren't even that much better so didn't bother to ask. Tried to change online to a next-day AS flight but it wanted a fare difference, so used the website chat function and they put me on the flight the next day, for a 23.5-hour connection in SEA no questions asked (will use the time to see some friends).

We won't be checking bags so that is not a concern.

No free seats available together for a flight over a month in advance! I guess travel is really picking up. Will check again in a few weeks or maybe pay for the extra legroom section.
Bellerina likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 3:55 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I tried a few weeks back, definitely a no for AA flights at least for me. I think someone did it, but that was because the OP's flight was delayed that day causing a missed connection at an outstation.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
well, another cancellation has left me on a preferred flight that, when I booked in late March, was ~$300 more expensive ... early Oct, SEA-FLL redeye; was going to make a leisurely drive up to Orlando for conference activities starting around 1pm, but after a 4-minute phone call this afternoon I'm now in 1A on the SEA-MCO redeye
Old Jun 22, 2021, 5:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by simonsuo
I tried a few weeks back, definitely a no for AA flights at least for me. I think someone did it, but that was because the OP's flight was delayed that day causing a missed connection at an outstation.
I was rerouted on AA about two weeks ago when my 8am DCA-SEA crew timed out and the flight was cancelled overnight. Was moved to AA at 9am DCA-DFW (and AS DFW-SEA-SFO) to get home same day. The computer had initially moved me from the 8am DCA-SEA to the 7pm DCA-PDX with a forced overnight at PDX. Not very appealing when you just want to get home. Add in that the airport experience at DCA sucked that day because the checkpoint for my AA flight shut down due to a power outage and had to clear security and be bused over from a different terminal with hundreds of others - when I got on board the AA flight the door closed 3 mins behind me. Also, could not check in with the app so had the AA agent at DCA check me in for DCA-DFW and was sent over to the AS agent to check in for the rest of the itinerary. Pretty much a travel day I'd rather forget.
simonsuo likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 5:11 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
Also note they won't check through luggage on an overnight of this sort.
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Keep in mind that if you have an overnight layover, you will need to recheck your bags (and pay double the bag fees, if you don't have the credit card or elite status)
This hasn't been my recent experience. In May I flew KOA-SJC-SEA with an overnight in SJC, and they checked the bag all the way through. We didn't even have to ask. Went down to baggage claim at SJC for 5 minutes before I looked at the sticker she'd given us and realized that might be the case. Visited the baggage office and asked to make sure. The guy there confirmed that we would see the bag at SEA in the morning. He also offered to get it for us if we needed it for the overnight, but we didn't and just wanted to get to our hotel and to sleep ASAP. Made for a very easy experience, just pay attention when checking in at your origin how far the bag is being checked.
pcoll likes this.

Last edited by CalanMan; Jun 23, 2021 at 11:41 am
Old Jun 22, 2021, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by CalanMan
Made for a very experience, just pay attention when checking in at your origin how far the bag is being checked.
What word is missing after "very?"
Old Jun 23, 2021, 11:44 am

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
What word is missing after "very?"
lol. The experience was very very. So experience!

It was a very easy experience, not having to drag our bags to and from the hotel. Fixed in the original post. Thanks for pointing it out.
Bellerina likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.