FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisl137
Here are links to waitlists for the Alaska Lounges:

Seattle D Lounge: https://v1.waitwhile.com/welcome/sead1

Seattle N Lounge: https://v1.waitwhile.com/welcome/sean13

Seattle C Lounge: https://v1.waitwhile.com/welcome/seac1

Portland Lounge: https://v1.waitwhile.com/welcome/alaskaloungepdx

LAX Lounge: https://v1.waitwhile.com/welcome/alaskaloungelax
Directions to the stairway to the lounge in post 1988.

Anchorage Lounge: https://v1.waitwhile.com/welcome/alaskaloungeanc

New York Lounge: https://v1.waitwhile.com/welcome/alaskaloungejfk

Print Wikipost

Alaska Lounges (2021-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2021, 11:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Given how busy the lounges have been recently (at least at SEA), I would hope that people aren't just bringing in random strangers to the lounge. In the case of the young person trying to use an AL pass from his father, I get it, but I hope this doesn't happen a lot. Also, per the rules, you will technically be required to remain with that guest.
"Members are welcome to bring immediate family (partner and children under the age of 21) or as many as two guests at no extra charge; however, members must accompany and remain with family and guests at all times."
SEA777GUY likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 12:08 am

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by Bellerina
Given how busy the lounges have been recently (at least at SEA), I would hope that people aren't just bringing in random strangers to the lounge. In the case of the young person trying to use an AL pass from his father, I get it, but I hope this doesn't happen a lot. Also, per the rules, you will technically be required to remain with that guest.
"Members are welcome to bring immediate family (partner and children under the age of 21) or as many as two guests at no extra charge; however, members must accompany and remain with family and guests at all times."
I appreciate the clarification (really, not being snarky), and I'm all for avoiding overcrowding, but I do think it must be one of those rules that are there only to cite in retrospect in case a specific problem needs to be addressed.

Under "Alaska Lounge house rules", I see half of those violated without employee intervention every time I'm there. And I definitely violate a couple of them myself each time ("We respectfully ask that guests enjoy lounge offerings within the room and not remove food, beverages, or periodicals from the Alaska Lounge, except for purchased made-to-order meals, tea, or coffee.", "Alaska Lounge staff are limited to serving three complimentary alcoholic beverages to a member or guest per visit.").

If I offer to guest in a college-age young lady, and the desk attendant approves it, I am definitely not going to tell the young lady that she has to accompany and remain with me at all times. Nopeity nope nope nope.

But I also think I'm a good judge of character on first impressions and will only make this offer when it seems warranted.
pcoll, anteater and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 12:50 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by TheStrangerIn29K
I appreciate the clarification (really, not being snarky), and I'm all for avoiding overcrowding, but I do think it must be one of those rules that are there only to cite in retrospect in case a specific problem needs to be addressed.

Under "Alaska Lounge house rules", I see half of those violated without employee intervention every time I'm there. And I definitely violate a couple of them myself each time ("We respectfully ask that guests enjoy lounge offerings within the room and not remove food, beverages, or periodicals from the Alaska Lounge, except for purchased made-to-order meals, tea, or coffee.", "Alaska Lounge staff are limited to serving three complimentary alcoholic beverages to a member or guest per visit.").

If I offer to guest in a college-age young lady, and the desk attendant approves it, I am definitely not going to tell the young lady that she has to accompany and remain with me at all times. Nopeity nope nope nope.But I also think I'm a good judge of character on first impressions and will only make this offer when it seems warranted.
Agreed, a LOT of the rules get violated (there is a rule about the headphones), but I think you might technically be liable for the actions of that guest if they misbehave and that could result in a loss of membership. I think that would be extremely unlikely, but I thought worth noting. I was also in the SEA N lounge on Friday at 7pm and there was not a single table available. Only a smattering of counter spots. They were obviously understaffed as much of the food offerings were running out (no soup despite them saying more was coming), and overall there has been a huge increase in Lounge use. In your specific matter, it seems the person likely had valid access and you were just speeding it up, but bringing in strange guests more often seems like it would hurt those that have paid membership fees.
Personally I have contemplated offering to bring in a fellow FT'er (stranger?) when I was planning to use the lounge, but half the time I'm running later than planned and would hate to do that to them.
Ford Fairlane likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 1:05 am

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
Agreed, a LOT of the rules get violated (there is a rule about the headphones), but I think you might technically be liable for the actions of that guest if they misbehave and that could result in a loss of membership. I think that would be extremely unlikely, but I thought worth noting. I was also in the SEA N lounge on Friday at 7pm and there was not a single table available. Only a smattering of counter spots. They were obviously understaffed as much of the food offerings were running out (no soup despite them saying more was coming), and overall there has been a huge increase in Lounge use. In your specific matter, it seems the person likely had valid access and you were just speeding it up, but bringing in strange guests more often seems like it would hurt those that have paid membership fees.
Personally I have contemplated offering to bring in a fellow FT'er (stranger?) when I was planning to use the lounge, but half the time I'm running later than planned and would hate to do that to them.
Yes, that's totally fair, and part of why I'll rely on my sense that I'm a "good judge of character on first impressions." Add to that young people who remind me of my kids, or their friends, or my friends' kids, and it's a pretty short list of folks I'd make this offer for. No "influencers" allowed.

Exception: If Penelope Cruz or Dave Grohl are being denied access while I'm in line, yes, they're entering as my guests, and yes, they must accompany and remain with me at all times.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 8:23 am

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
OK, I'll add my list of Alaska Lounge annoyances (in order starting with the worst):

1. The lounge TV is on but it's televised sports....at the DFW AC last weekend there were two TVs, side-by-side....one showing televised soccer (score: 0-0...wow, exciting) and the other showing televised golf.
2. People that don't use headphones to watch videos on their phones and/or tablets.
3. They are not serving New England Clam Chowder.
4. Standing in the check-in line behind someone who doesn't have lounge access but thinks they do.
5. Seeing someone in front of me take the last apple danish at the PDX lounge.
Unfortunately, I think we only have members to blame for this. I have a sneaking suspicion this is because they used to show news channels. If they showed CNN, the "Fox News" guy would complain and they would switch it. Then the "CNN" guy would complain and it would be an argument that the lounge staff did not need. So they switched to sports on mute. I guess they could be showing soap operas or one of the 70 or so "Housewives of...". :-)
Old Oct 19, 2021, 9:13 am

This makes a lot of sense, but I've...er...unwittingly violated this many times over the years. Sometimes, it seems some people really had a rough night especially LAS, and I'll just offer to take them into the CL where they can relax and have some hot food. It's always been assumed that once we enter, they go their way and I go mine; actually, not hanging out with me would be one of my conditions.

Not sure if it's thing for the new generation, but invariably they'd always ask for my cell phone? No qualms with my bus cell number, but is this the new exchanging of business card thing we used to do?
be_rettSEA and Ford Fairlane like this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
So just curious: was the end result 1 year grandfathered in at the AS Lounge+, with 2 more years at the AS Lounge-only membership level? Or 3 years grandfathered in at the + level?
For me, my renewal into 2023 is Lounge+.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 11:27 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
$25 day passes are being sold at LAX (not sure about other locations). There was a sign by the elevator and I overheard them offering them to a few disappointed people who still hadn't received the memo that the lounge no longer takes PP.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 12:50 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Klrduks
Unfortunately, I think we only have members to blame for this. I have a sneaking suspicion this is because they used to show news channels. If they showed CNN, the "Fox News" guy would complain and they would switch it. Then the "CNN" guy would complain and it would be an argument that the lounge staff did not need. So they switched to sports on mute. I guess they could be showing soap operas or one of the 70 or so "Housewives of...". :-)
Yup. The Seahawks game was on the big screen in the N Bar area on sunday night, and a large number of people were watching it and enjoying the game. Seemed like a good use of the TV to me.

If I want to watch propaganda, I will just watch it on my laptop. Sports benefit from big screens. But of course I am a sports fan and enjoy watching it.
Klrduks and Ford Fairlane like this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 2:27 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by Klrduks
Several years ago I sent a note to AS Customer Care and to the Lounge email stating that I would not be renewing my Lounge membership. I am based out of ANC and the Lounge Manager at that time refused to show anything but Fox News. Over many visits I made a request to change to something else and was refused every time. I did not care what they changed to but something that did not distract from my visit. "Our other guests prefer to watch FOX" was their reply. A few times I spoke up and asked the others in the room if they would mind if we changed the channel. I never heard one objection to changing. Then someone behind the desk would change the channel to sports, soaps, etc. At some point the ANC lounge changed to OAN on the TV. When I asked why it was not on FOX I was told that AS had too many complaints and they could no longer show FOX. At that time OAN was even more far right than FOX and that was what they were showing. Round 2 of notes to AS stopped that shortly. Since then I have watched lots of sports, soaps, older vintage comedies, etc. on my visits.

I use the lounge to relax and enjoy nibbles and drinks before my flights. I did not enjoy being bombarded with right wing propaganda and would not enjoy being bombarded with left wing junk either, much less when I have paid for the peace and quiet of the Lounge. So, YEAH, blame it on me
Old Oct 19, 2021, 3:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by BOB W
Several years ago I sent a note to AS Customer Care and to the Lounge email stating that I would not be renewing my Lounge membership. I am based out of ANC and the Lounge Manager at that time refused to show anything but Fox News. Over many visits I made a request to change to something else and was refused every time. I did not care what they changed to but something that did not distract from my visit. "Our other guests prefer to watch FOX" was their reply. A few times I spoke up and asked the others in the room if they would mind if we changed the channel. I never heard one objection to changing. Then someone behind the desk would change the channel to sports, soaps, etc. At some point the ANC lounge changed to OAN on the TV. When I asked why it was not on FOX I was told that AS had too many complaints and they could no longer show FOX. At that time OAN was even more far right than FOX and that was what they were showing. Round 2 of notes to AS stopped that shortly. Since then I have watched lots of sports, soaps, older vintage comedies, etc. on my visits.

I use the lounge to relax and enjoy nibbles and drinks before my flights. I did not enjoy being bombarded with right wing propaganda and would not enjoy being bombarded with left wing junk either, much less when I have paid for the peace and quiet of the Lounge. So, YEAH, blame it on me
Maybe CSPAN would be more appropriate if we wanted to make it really "relaxing" ?
Ford Fairlane likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 3:40 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Maybe CSPAN would be more appropriate if we wanted to make it really "relaxing" ?
CSPAN=Melatonin. They both put me to sleep very quickly and I would be afraid of missing my flight. No Thanks
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I'd be good with HGTV....Love It or List It, House Hunters International, etc.
skyblue likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I'd be good with HGTV....Love It or List It, House Hunters International, etc.
I'm thinking endless loops of "Airplane!".
Old Oct 19, 2021, 9:03 pm

My vote would be Bloomberg TV placed on mute.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.