Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

$500 AS Gift Certificate for $449.99 at Costco (And They're Back)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$500 AS Gift Certificate for $449.99 at Costco (And They're Back)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2021, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by gahyland
I ordered 10 certs on Sunday 10/3. I got one on Monday afternoon - it did not work. I have called Costco three times, still nothing. The charge has posted to my credit card. I'm a bit peeved, would like to buy tickets before the sale expires.
If the PIN is 5 digits try adding a 0 before the pin.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 5:57 pm

Programs: MVPG
It was 6 digit pin. I called Alaska Customer Service and was told the GC had been voided. Not sure whether to cancel the whole order and try again, or wait.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali

Friend had an account / member number, never had an online account though, he gave me his number and I made an order, here's to hoping they don't gripe that my address isn't his address.
And... they rejected my order a couple hours later. I guess because it had my name and payment into on it which did not match the member? My friend doesn't even have an online account, and are family/friends not allowed?
Old Oct 7, 2021, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by rubbernyc
Anyone get their correct certs yet? I am still waiting, 2 days after ordering.
Yes. Got mine today and just used it, although the PIN was missing the leading zero. Thanks to this thread, I figured it out.

For the data point: I ordered one certificate on Monday the 4th and noticed the wrong name and order number right away. Called in to Costco Customer service Monday around 5 pm, spoke to a nice lady who said she would escalate it to a level 2.and to call back if I had not heard anything in 24 hours. Called back the next day as instructed, was orginially advised to wait until the end of the week but I turned on the charm and stayed on hold while the nice lady I was speaking to tried to see what she could do. From what she told me, they told her to do an exchange. I was able to see the refund processing in my Costco account yesterday and then the actual certificate came midday today (Thursday). FWIW, the reason shown on the refund was "empty box."

Certificate worked just fine once I solved the mystery of the 5 digit PIN that should have been 6.

Hope this helps someone. Looks like they had a pretty serious systemic problem.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
And... they rejected my order a couple hours later. I guess because it had my name and payment into on it which did not match the member? My friend doesn't even have an online account, and are family/friends not allowed?
That can’t be it as I’ve bought mine in the past off my GF/GF’s sister shared Costco account, so my name, address and card info is all different/not on the account and I was able to purchase these on multiple occasions last go round and I just ordered another yesterday and got the “shipped” email this morning (yet to receive the code though due to the delays posted), so it must be something else.

Maybe someone who actually holds a Costco account could chime in on if there is a difference between account types which allow online purchasing, I asked my partner, but she couldn’t remember. You’ve likely already thought about it, but if not could it simply have been your CC cancelling/flagging it thinking it was fraud as you never shop at Costco?
Old Oct 8, 2021, 10:00 am

Programs: MVPG
What in the world is up with Costco?!

Costco still has not sent my Gift Certificates purchased Sunday 10/3. I have been calling daily but get nowhere. Every day I was told the GC were on the way.
The one certificate that was sent (10/4) was invalid according to Alaska customer service.
Today, the rep suggested cancelling the order and re-sending - which would take 24 hours. Missing the sale. Oh, and since refunds always take several days to post, I will have two $4500 charges on my credit card.

Really don't know where to go from here. Anyone have an idea?
Old Oct 8, 2021, 10:15 am

Programs: AS
Driving by Costco Corporate yesterday, noticed big signs posted in front of their Lake Place building.
COSTCO IT employees wanted. Hiring NOW.
Hummmmm.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 6:14 pm

Ordered a GC in the evening on 10/6 and received the codes this afternoon on 10/8.

Hope those that had problems earlier this week have had them resolved.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 7:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; AS 100k; BA Silver; UA Silver
You can also save $10 if you pay through Rakuten.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 7:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hyedmd
You can also save $10 if you pay through Rakuten.
The cash back is only for new memberships, not for an online order, unfortunately.
hyedmd likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 7:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; AS 100k; BA Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by DaveH
The cash back is only for new memberships, not for an online order, unfortunately.
Oh yes, you're right. Thanks for correcting me.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by DaveH
For existing members these GCs count towards cash back/their year end rebate (2%) if purchased on one of their executive memberships though. So an extra ~$9 back/rebate each.

I stocked up and will save 10% on my Alaska travels this year and my partner gets to splurge on king crab legs come year end. Win-win!
Old Oct 12, 2021, 11:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Arsene Wenger
For existing members these GCs count towards cash back/their year end rebate (2%) if purchased on one of their executive memberships though. So an extra ~$9 back/rebate each.
Yes, my experience confirms this as well.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 4:07 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Got an email yesterday from Costco that the $500 value for $450 deal is back. Tried several times yesterday on my laptop and no luck - it just gives a generic message and says the transaction could not be completed. Went to my local warehouse and apparently it's only online. Tried again today on my laptop but no luck. Tried on my Android phone and it went through so fingers crossed I'll get a code (that works). Once in the past I tried to purchase this and it went through initially but I received an email a couple hours later saying it had been canceled with no reason being given. All the problems with this are pretty ridiculous.

If it works the deal is pretty good - 10% off from AS, $9 back on my Costco membership and $6.75 in rewards from my Chase Sapphire Reserve ($4.50 @ 1.5X redemption) So, $500 for $434.25 = 13.5% off.

The deal says no expiration. Does the credit go into my wallet once redeemed? If so, does anyone know how this works with wallet credit? First in, first used I'm hoping/assuming? I'd love to buy a few more of these but don't want my wallet funds that do expire to get buried.
FlyerDigits likes this.

Last edited by mtofell; Nov 2, 2021 at 4:16 pm
Old Nov 2, 2021, 4:19 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by mtofell
Got an email yesterday from Costco that the $500 value for $450 deal is back. Tried several times yesterday on my laptop and no luck
I bought two certs on my laptop yesterday. I got the certs and their pins today.
mtofell likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.