Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

$500 AS Gift Certificate for $449.99 at Costco (And They're Back)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$500 AS Gift Certificate for $449.99 at Costco (And They're Back)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2021, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I bought two certs on my laptop yesterday. I got the certs and their pins today.
Did the Certs contain Retsyn?
Old Nov 2, 2021, 5:00 pm

I see two potential disadvantages to these discount gift certificates. Many Alaska flyers have the Alaska Visa Card, which gives you a free checked bag (otherwise $30 per passenger), as well as 3X miles for purchases from Alaska. So, it is pretty easy for the $50 discount on the gift certificate to be offset by the loss of benefits from the Visa card.
mtofell likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 5:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
I see two potential disadvantages to these discount gift certificates. Many Alaska flyers have the Alaska Visa Card, which gives you a free checked bag (otherwise $30 per passenger), as well as 3X miles for purchases from Alaska. So, it is pretty easy for the $50 discount on the gift certificate to be offset by the loss of benefits from the Visa card.
I don't think you have to actually buy the ticket with the card to get the free baggage benefit. You just need to have the card linked to your MP number. See this thread:

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
The internet is correct. As long as the person making the reservation holds the card and their MP number is linked, you will get the free bags.
pcoll, be_rettSEA and FlyerDigits like this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by mtofell
Does the credit go into my wallet once redeemed?
Yes, it will show in your wallet as "Certificate Purchase" with an expiration date of "None". I also agree with your math.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Got an email yesterday from Costco that the $500 value for $450 deal is back. Tried several times yesterday on my laptop and no luck - it just gives a generic message and says the transaction could not be completed. Went to my local warehouse and apparently it's only online. Tried again today on my laptop but no luck. Tried on my Android phone and it went through so fingers crossed I'll get a code (that works). Once in the past I tried to purchase this and it went through initially but I received an email a couple hours later saying it had been canceled with no reason being given. All the problems with this are pretty ridiculous.

If it works the deal is pretty good - 10% off from AS, $9 back on my Costco membership and $6.75 in rewards from my Chase Sapphire Reserve ($4.50 @ 1.5X redemption) So, $500 for $434.25 = 13.5% off.

The deal says no expiration. Does the credit go into my wallet once redeemed? If so, does anyone know how this works with wallet credit? First in, first used I'm hoping/assuming? I'd love to buy a few more of these but don't want my wallet funds that do expire to get buried.
But if you charged it on the costco citi card you'd get 2%cash back $9 vs 6.75
Old Nov 2, 2021, 6:39 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Can these funds be used for tickets that includes an an American Leg. I have some trips back from MKE to seattle in January but the departures are too early (around 3 pm) but there is an itinerary that has American MLE to ORD at 6 pm then AS ORD to SEA. I wouldn’t object to this alternative.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 7:35 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by estnet
Yeah, I'm tempted by that card. With a family of 5 and living on Maui where the grocery stores are outrageously expensive, I haul A LOT of food out of Costco. I'm pretty happy with my CSR card but may make the leap at some point.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Yeah, I'm tempted by that card. With a family of 5 and living on Maui where the grocery stores are outrageously expensive, I haul A LOT of food out of Costco. I'm pretty happy with my CSR card but may make the leap at some point.
I don't think it's one or the other. Costco is good for costco, gas (which i don't use - Tesla ) and restaurants (3%). All others I use the Fidelity 2% cash back on everything (citi would only give 1% on others). Suits me.
mtofell likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 8:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100K
If you have a Chase Flex, you can link it to your Paypal key and earn 2250 UR points (5%)
Old Nov 2, 2021, 8:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100K
I don't think it's one or the other. Costco is good for costco, gas (which i don't use - Tesla ) and restaurants (3%). All others I use the Fidelity 2% cash back on everything (citi would only give 1% on others). Suits me.
Citi Double Cash also give you 2% on everything. USAA used to have a card that give you 2.5% back on everything.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 9:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I bought two certs on my laptop yesterday. I got the certs and their pins today.
Bought a few today.

I seem to use these too quick Especially this year.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 9:43 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by Xrayman
Can these funds be used for tickets that includes an an American Leg.
If you buy the ticket on AS's website, yes, they can.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 12:51 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
At first glance, I thought you meant the AS Visa (with its free baggage benefit) would be useful: buying lots of stuff at Costco on the mainland, and hauling it back to Maui via checked luggage for each person.

You probably meant something else.
mtofell likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 1:36 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by thatmikereed
If you buy the ticket on AS's website, yes, they can.
Went onto Alaska site as usual. Selected a flight which included an AA leg. Went to pay and it would not permit my use of “wallet funds” where the certificate value is located.

What is the correct method to use ??
Old Nov 4, 2021, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Xrayman
Went onto Alaska site as usual. Selected a flight which included an AA leg. Went to pay and it would not permit my use of “wallet funds” where the certificate value is located.

What is the correct method to use ??
From my understanding wallet funds cannot be used to purchase itineraries with partner legs, the terms for the use of wallet funds can be found at the following link:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-more%E2%80%8B

Number 2 specifically states: "You can redeem wallet credits at alaskaair.com on flights operated by Alaska Airlines (flights 1-1999, 2000-2999, and 3300-3499)."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.