Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2020, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by QT31415
Made our first post-COVID flight today for an emergent family issue

FA’s have walked by three times without a word. And no, food and drink are not involved.
. GA states as boarding starts, “this is the fullest flight we’ve had since we started social distancing”. First is completely full. Many seats in coach are full, with strangers next to each other. GA states as she’s checking people on - “I can’t enforce you to wear your mask, and I’m pretty over this COVID thing anyway”. She takes her mask off as the last person boards and stands at the door talking trash to the FA’s about the COVID restrictions. The couple behind me overhear this conversation and take off their mask before we even leave the gate. FA’s watch and say nothing.

I don’t mind getting COVID, but there are people I’m in contact with who will mind. And before you say I shouldn’t be traveling, I think traveling with the current restrictions is fairly safe for a healthy person if EVERYONE follows the rules. AS I hope you’re listening.
I think weeks ago AS Flyer mentioned something in one of the threads here on the AS forum about that fact that not wearing a mask wouldn't be something that would necessarily delay a plane or get someone kicked off an Alaska Airlines flight, but that was then and this is now so I wonder what their perspective would be now. Last Monday on my SEA-PDX flight, another passenger in my row (#6) noticed someone who was dressed like a pilot (although not for AS) not wearing a mask and they were visibly concerned. I think they brought it to the attention of the FA and I'm not sure if she just checked on the passenger or told him to put his mask on, but upon deboarding, the pilot didn't have a mask on and the upset passenger mentioned something about reporting it to the FAA. He went to the gate agent and started complaining to them, but eventually just walked away and went to the ticket counter to complain.

As a resident of the Portland metro area in Oregon where a mandatory mask policy for all indoor public places goes in effect next week, I still expect a few "lone wolves" to not wear their masks and while I wish they would just respect and follow the policy, It's not my job nor my desire to be the mask police. This has got to be a tough one for flight crews because if you have a policy, it probably needs to be followed and enforced, but I understand the apprehension about creating a confrontational situation.....I just wonder if they enforced every single policy to the letter (like putting your phone on airplane mode), would there be any passengers left on the plane?
Old Jun 21, 2020, 6:53 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
The FA is really unhelpful. I spoke to her on the way to the restroom, she went back to talk to them a bit later, and told them they could only take their masks off to eat or drink, and then asked what she could get them to snack on. Their masks are now completely off, they’re drinking and laughing, I’m about 2.5 ft away. Am disappointed in Alaska’s laissez faire approach.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 6:54 pm

(duplicate, deleted)
Old Jun 21, 2020, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
The FA is really unhelpful. I spoke to her on the way to the restroom, she went back to talk to them a bit later, and told them they could only take their masks off to eat or drink, and then asked what she could get them to snack on. Their masks are now completely off, they’re drinking and laughing, I’m about 2.5 ft away. Am disappointed in Alaska’s laissez faire approach.
Unfortunately, that's probably the approach most FAs would take (among all airlines)--confrontation avoidance is alive and well Also, the whole eating and drinking thing is a giant loop hole that virtually anyone can exploit to avoid the mask requirement. Another poster here on FT mentioned something about someone being able to take a bag of M & Ms on board and eat one at a time slowly for the entire flight which would count as "eating". I'm sorry about your experience, but at least it's a relatively short flight
Old Jun 21, 2020, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I’m sorry about your experience, but at least it's a relatively short flight
... it’s really my bad; I was lulled into a false sense of security by the media reporting how strictly the mask rule was being enforced. For the majority of people it’s probably not a big deal- if you are wearing a mask to protect others, I can see how you’d feel justified to take it off if you feel fine. I wonder how they’d feel if I did surgery without a mask when I feel healthy.

Anyway, lesson learned, will wait till the percentages fall again before flying in the future.

TLDR; don’t believe the hogwash you read about Alaska’s precautions.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 8:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I still expect a few "lone wolves" to not wear their masks
It's much more common than that at stations like PHX. I imagine much of the South and Southwest are the same, with relatively widespread noncompliance.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 12:56 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's much more common than that at stations like PHX. I imagine much of the South and Southwest are the same, with relatively widespread noncompliance.
Maricopa (PHX) and Pima Counties (TUS) have mandatory indoor mask rules, along with most other places in Arizona. Anecdotally, once the Arizona governor wore a mask during a press conference, it seemed like more masks were worn in public. Last week I'd say it was 20% wearing them out and about. This weekend: 80% were wearing them.

GA states as she’s checking people on - “I can’t enforce you to wear your mask, and I’m pretty over this COVID thing anyway”. She takes her mask off as the last person boards and stands at the door talking trash to the FA’s about the COVID restrictions. The couple behind me overhear this conversation and take off their mask before we even leave the gate. FA’s watch and say nothing.
And this is why I have no interest in flying anytime soon. We're all over COVID, but that GA should keep their opinions to themselves. Board the plane, close the door on time and keep the other stuff to the break room, home, facebook etc.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 1:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Agree tusphotog. It's one thing to not like the restrictions and complain about them in private. It's another thing to tell passengers they can ignore the rules. Her personal opinion about COVID makes no difference to the facts.

I hope QT31415 gives some strong feedback to AS about the GA.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 1:11 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Even for flights before July 1, it seems they will upgrade pax into the seat next to you. So basically no assured social distancing at all in F.
Do you have first-hand evidence of this? On all of my AS flights recently they have upgraded until a row contains either: 1) 1 passenger, or 2) 2 passengers who are traveling together. My understanding is barring IROPS they will not seat anyone next to you in F that you do not know.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
So after reading some of the replies here, I feel like the middle seat getting blocked is not a sure thing? I only ask because on all of our flights next week, the seat map shows the middle seat blocked so my b/f and I are basically sharing a row, one of us in window, one in aisle and empty middle seat. Not for nothing but I'm thrilled more for the space then the covid, however, i would be pretty peeved if suddenly a stranger sat down between us without the airline telling us that they are now not blocking middle seats, again not so much for the covid, but i do not want to sit like that for a long flight, would rather be "together" and yes I know we can ask middle to switch but never a guarantee, so what I see here is that middle seats arent actually guaranteed blocked?
Old Jun 22, 2020, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by miadukes
so what I see here is that middle seats arent actually guaranteed blocked?
Alaska's language states very clearly "There can be limited occasions where extra space cannot be guaranteed due to unforeseen changes such as reaccommodating guests from a previously canceled flight."

Short answer: they try--and, indeed, has been the case on my flights in the past month--but will favor getting somebody home vs. social distancing if, e.g., a flight cancels day of and they have no other options.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 1:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Erasmus
Do you have first-hand evidence of this? On all of my AS flights recently they have upgraded until a row contains either: 1) 1 passenger, or 2) 2 passengers who are traveling together. My understanding is barring IROPS they will not seat anyone next to you in F that you do not know.
Suggest you read the thread.
Originally Posted by tusphotog
Maricopa (PHX) and Pima Counties (TUS) have mandatory indoor mask rules, along with most other places in Arizona. Anecdotally, once the Arizona governor wore a mask during a press conference, it seemed like more masks were worn in public. Last week I'd say it was 20% wearing them out and about. This weekend: 80% were wearing them.
I've been in Phoenix/Scottsdale every other week since mid-March. I would estimate mask usage at more like 5% or less. I haven't been since the new order was issued, but would certainly be glad to hear that more are wearing them. On my last flight PHX-OAK (WN on June 9) defiance of the face covering rule (imposed by both SkyHarbor and WN) was common and there were no attempts at enforcement.

Little wonder that Arizona reported more than 3000 new cases on both Friday and Saturday.

Last edited by Kacee; Jun 22, 2020 at 1:27 pm
Old Jun 22, 2020, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Erasmus
Alaska's language states very clearly "There can be limited occasions where extra space cannot be guaranteed due to unforeseen changes such as reaccommodating guests from a previously canceled flight."

Short answer: they try--and, indeed, has been the case on my flights in the past month--but will favor getting somebody home vs. social distancing if, e.g., a flight cancels day of and they have no other options.
Yes, I read the fine print I wanted more real world examples as if every flight suddenly has irrops the middle seat is taken, then its not them really hard working at social distacing.

Either way, I'll be honest, this is our first experience with Alaska and hopefully our last, have not been impressed one bit even though everyone claims they have the best service.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 1:24 pm

Suggest you read the thread.
Admittedly, the thread is long and grows quickly so I may have missed it; would be delighted if you could point me to the post where I missed it, but I have not seen a confirmed case. You asked COS Flyer if they were traveling together and did not get a response. All other complaints I've seen did not involve upgrades.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by miadukes
Yes, I read the fine print I wanted more real world examples as if every flight suddenly has irrops the middle seat is taken, then its not them really hard working at social distacing.
Either way, I'll be honest, this is our first experience with Alaska and hopefully our last, have not been impressed one bit even though everyone claims they have the best service.
This seems overly dramatic. They are doing far more than many on social distancing--I've flown with somebody I didn't know next to me in F every time on my flights with AA during the pandemic. And I'm not sure who's claiming they have the best "service": in cabin catering is certainly far from the best at he moment. IME they have the best *customer service*, which, admittedly is trying when you have to spend every Sunday morning on the phone adjusting to schedule changes, but at least they are generally pleasant calls. I certainly prefer them to to my calls with AA for similar issues!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.