Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2020, 11:41 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by scklumb
... We typically buy our own tickets. ... upgrade my partner to the seat next to me ...
Today’s younger generation, accustomed to a higher degree of keeping personal finances separate and marrying later in life, may not perceive as much friction here. But when you look across the various FT fora, border and airline policies, while adapting to an ever changing world, are unlikely to accept just any interpretation of relations. I imagine you can stretch boundaries only so far.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 12:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Delta just extended middle seat blocking and a 50% F cap* through January 2021. I'm curious what AS has planned for the holiday travel season.

*1-2 configured RJs will operate at 67% capacity.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 12:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Delta just extended middle seat blocking and a 50% F cap* through January 2021. I'm curious what AS has planned for the holiday travel season.

I recently booked an FJ award for next February. Seat blocking is still in effect on the domestic AS flights. Whether that will stay in effect is unknown but it looks like AS is at least prepared should an extension be forthcoming.

James
pcoll likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX

Although I personally enjoy the current seat blocking policy, I can't imagine how sustainable that will be both operationally and financially during the holiday season.
ctporter likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 1:53 pm

Programs: AS
It seems passengers prefer to fly airlines who are doing the seat blocking. If they have a choice of airlines for a destination, the airline promoting passenger safety and seat blocking are getting more passengers. Many may choose not fly if this goes away.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 10:25 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Although I personally enjoy the current seat blocking policy, I can't imagine how sustainable that will be both operationally and financially during the holiday season.
If seat blocking is still preferred, there won't be the usual holiday load....people just won't be travelling for recreation nearly as much as years gone by. Fiscally/operationally is another set of questions. Do fares go up to cover the empty seats or do fares go down to attract those who are on the fence for travel or....?
Old Aug 23, 2020, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kileysmom
If seat blocking is still preferred, there won't be the usual holiday load....people just won't be travelling for recreation nearly as much as years gone by. Fiscally/operationally is another set of questions. Do fares go up to cover the empty seats or do fares go down to attract those who are on the fence for travel or....?
My extended family has already agreed not to do our usual travel where everybody meets back "home". I imagine many others are doing the same and xmas travel demand will be a lot lighter anyway, independent of seat blocking.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by pcoll
It seems passengers prefer to fly airlines who are doing the seat blocking. If they have a choice of airlines for a destination, the airline promoting passenger safety and seat blocking are getting more passengers. Many may choose not fly if this goes away.
This is already going away. Airlines are still offering to "mostly" block seats - with exceptions. Including now, Delta. They will now allow families to book together and will book First Class full when able to. They're making a slow progression to selling all their seats and, frankly, unless people are willing to pony up a lot more money, I don't think people have a right to expect seat blocking to continue in the long term. Right now, we're looking at this being an option through the end of the year on most airlines I think. My guess is, after the first of the year, all seats become available for sale. It's not difficult now, when flights are averaging load factors of 40-50% full but that's not sustainable at all if people want a robust air travel network.
PDXPremier and ctporter like this.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
This is already going away. Airlines are still offering to "mostly" block seats - with exceptions. Including now, Delta. They will now allow families to book together and will book First Class full when able to. They're making a slow progression to selling all their seats and, frankly, unless people are willing to pony up a lot more money, I don't think people have a right to expect seat blocking to continue in the long term. Right now, we're looking at this being an option through the end of the year on most airlines I think. My guess is, after the first of the year, all seats become available for sale. It's not difficult now, when flights are averaging load factors of 40-50% full but that's not sustainable at all if people want a robust air travel network.
I bet we will see a lot more promotions for people to buy an extra seat, or the "buy the middle" deals so that you can get a whole row for two people for not as much as a full second seat. It might help get more people onto planes as they relax the airline enforced distancing.
pcoll likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 10:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
This is already going away. Airlines are still offering to "mostly" block seats - with exceptions. Including now, Delta. They will now allow families to book together and will book First Class full when able to.
Do we know when/if AS is booking F full? I have a flight in September and I’m trying to decide if I need to change to an E175 so I can have the solo seat, book the seat next to me, or reconsider flying/driving?
Old Aug 23, 2020, 11:25 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by Bellerina
Do we know when/if AS is booking F full? I have a flight in September and I’m trying to decide if I need to change to an E175 so I can have the solo seat, book the seat next to me, or reconsider flying/driving?
Ive been on 25+ flights since mid March and while the first couple of weeks were nearly empty, most of my flights have gone out at 70% or higher FC full.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 11:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by damnyourefine
Ive been on 25+ flights since mid March and while the first couple of weeks were nearly empty, most of my flights have gone out at 70% or higher FC full.
Were most of this because people were flying together?

I’ve had 3 RT flights and all of the flights FC only had people flying together seated next to each other (except for one possible exception). They didn’t fill with elite even though there were more people on the list. Only filled to 1 for every 2 F seats. Last flight was early July.

AS Flyer seems to imply this is or will be changing soon.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chrisl137
My extended family has already agreed not to do our usual travel where everybody meets back "home". I imagine many others are doing the same and xmas travel demand will be a lot lighter anyway, independent of seat blocking.
Actually, one of the reasons I've avoided traveling (even to see family) during Thanksgiving and to a lesser extent, Christmas was due to the higher prices (both $ and miles) for holiday travel, but this year there was actually saver award space during the weekend after Thanksgiving (unheard of) and around Christmas so my family is actually traveling more than usual....next year when the Thanksgiving prices are most likely back to "normal", we'll stay close to home
Old Aug 24, 2020, 1:56 pm

Programs: AS
For this reason, I have changed two of our trips to E175's. One is September and one is October. Equipment change could put a wrench in this plan.
Our last F flight, it was 100% full. 16/16 This was July 1.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 3:18 pm

Programs: Yes
Were most of this because people were flying together?

I’ve had 3 RT flights and all of the flights FC only had people flying together seated next to each other (except for one possible exception). They didn’t fill with elite even though there were more people on the list. Only filled to 1 for every 2 F seats. Last flight was early July.

AS Flyer seems to imply this is or will be changing soon.
Most of the situations where FC went out greater than 50% were gate upgrades, nearly all single seat upgrades, or people displaced from a cancelled light load AS flight and were told to take the next flight or wait for an emptier one; and people didn’t know each other.

Last edited by anteater; Aug 24, 2020 at 3:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.