Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Predeparture Drinks in First Class?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
The pmVX FAs on the LAX-DCA-LAX route were still serving alcoholic PDBs as well, so maybe not fully aligned.
According to an AS Boeing FA on the threads, it is supposed to be fully aligned. If they are still serving an Alcoholic PDB on pmVX they are doing so in contradiction of policy.

James
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Wow - having a bad day?
As for what kind - I have no idea.
It will be $3 Buck Chester. All the Dollar Tim (the moose) was gone!
AS Flyer likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
It will be $3 Buck Chester. All the Dollar Tim (the moose) was gone!

Tim has left the house
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by AS737
I can assure you that this is not an AS policy. Before 10am it's coffee/OJ. Nothing after 10am unless Hawaii though. To Hawaii it's POG/POG mimosas. Flight attendants can't do any other alcohol on the ground
No PDB coffee/OJ this morning (SFO-PDX 737). When airborne, I politely asked the FA. She apologized and said as of Aug 1, Alaska’s policy changed to no PDBs.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
According to an AS Boeing FA on the threads, it is supposed to be fully aligned. If they are still serving an Alcoholic PDB on pmVX they are doing so in contradiction of policy.

James
Certainly one case where I'm actually pleased to see crew bend the rules a little bit. Although a service for 8 is a bit easier than a service for 12 or 16 in the 20-30 mins before takeoff.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:18 am

Interestingly I was on an evening San Diego to Portland flight on a Boeing 737 (AS operated) a few days ago, and the friendly F/A served everyone a pre-takeoff beverage and yes alcohol was served.

It was always a nice gesture and Alaska should reinforce a full pre-takeoff beverage service, rather than cutting it.

Carfield
jjmadison likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by jjmadison

No PDB coffee/OJ this morning (SFO-PDX 737). When airborne, I politely asked the FA. She apologized and said as of Aug 1, Alaska’s policy changed to no PDBs.
she either lied or she has no idea what she’s doing. Neither is good.
jinglish, be_rettSEA and DrAlex like this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Certainly one case where I'm actually pleased to see crew bend the rules a little bit. Although a service for 8 is a bit easier than a service for 12 or 16 in the 20-30 mins before takeoff.
Somehow my FA last week on a DL ATL/SFO on a serious IRROPS afternoon / evening with a late arriving crew managed to get 20 PDBs out, full bar, on a 739, while the aisle was congested just about the entire time.

But back to the new upcoming policy. I'm fine with it. Shattow le Swill espumante in a disposable Oruffers Krystel or water/oj if I don't want the "strong stuff In fact, while other airlines provide a full bar service in regular mainline services, on int'l or "int'l style" premium cabins, most just offer bubbles, juice or water.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Once upon a time, I was on a flight where a guy across the aisle and the FA knew each other fairly well enough to joke and chat (he was not a non-rev). She brought him a drink, but did not seem to be offering one to anyone else. When I asked her whether that meant I could have a drink as well, she quickly brought me one.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:31 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Personally - I very much prefer and appreciate full PDB service even though sometimes I just order water.

UA/DL/AA offers full PDB service as part of the standard for domestic narrow body flights. The international long hauls are a little different as there is much more work involved for the FAs on the ground and not to mention there are typically 40-50 people in the business class cabin. Although the bar typically opens up if there is a delay on the tarmac or at the gate.

I get it everyone has different preferences on this topic. However, there is only one way to meet 99% (saving 1% for the irrational) of the customer’s expectations is by having a full open bar PDB. This will satisfy those who don’t care, those who don’t want anything, those that just want water, those who want soft drinks and those that want alcoholic beverages.

Last edited by golfingboy; Aug 24, 2018 at 2:03 pm Reason: Grammar
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy
Personally - I very much prefer and appreciate full PDB service even though sometimes I just order water.

UA/DL/AA offers full PDB service as part of the standard for domestic narrow body flights. The international long hauls are a little different as there is much more work involved for the FAs on the ground and not to mention there are typically 40-50 people in the business class cabin. Although the bar typically opens up if there is a delay on the tarmac or at the gate.

I get it everyone has different preferences on this topic. However, there is only one way to meet 99% (saving 1% for the irrational) of the customer’s expectations is by having a full open bar PDB. This will satisfy those who don’t care, those who don’t want anything, those that just want water, those who want soft drinks and those that want alcoholic beverages.
I agree with this. I think the change to bubbles, juice or water is a nice improvement but I would have no issue with a full bar either. It's not that difficult, supplies permitting.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
I agree with this. I think the change to bubbles, juice or water is a nice improvement but I would have no issue with a full bar either. It's not that difficult, supplies permitting.
^ Exactly. While beggars can't be choosers, those who are paying for their F seats certainly can be.
AS Flyer, tusphotog and golfingboy like this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:12 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Coffee and juice offers on my PDX outbound, seems plenty good to me, I’m happy
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
The thread title is not accurate. It is misleading. OP declared "No more Pre Departure Drinks in F" when he did not receive an "alcoholic" beverage before departure on an Airbus flight. I don't know what the OP's objective was in leaving out the qualifier in his title but it did spark a furry in a few pmVX Loyalists. VX is GONE but PDB in F is not.

Airbus & Boeing are now aligned on PDB policy.

James
To be fair - this was the policy as stated by the FA, I didn’t invent it She explicitly stated water only - which I believe makes the title accurate.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:41 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Alaska Airlines cuts off pre-takeoff cocktails for first-class passengers
Starting Nov. 1, first-class passengers flying before 10 a.m. on all Alaska Airlines flights will be offered nonalcoholic pre-takeoff drinks, including bottled water and coffee.

On all flights departing after 10 a.m., Alaska Airlines fliers will be offered pre-takeoff drinks that include sparkling wine (but no cocktails).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.