Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Predeparture Drinks in First Class?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
What PDB? I have rarely been offered anything but water, the only exception being coffee/juice on early flights. Not once ever have a been offered an alcoholic PDB, so I don’t really think anything changed.
notquiteaff and pbelmore like this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
What PDB? I have rarely been offered anything but water, the only exception being coffee/juice on early flights. Not once ever have a been offered an alcoholic PDB, so I don’t really think anything changed.
Well, I fly to Hawaii twice each each year since they started service to OGG and always received a choice (or both sometimes) of a mimosa or POG as a PDB; last trip was in February and another coming up soon. Maybe this is the "policy" being changed.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer
I am not sure if this is a "new" policy regarding PDB in general or regarding flights to Hawaii which is the only flight I can recall that had mimosa or POG available. Outside of that I can probably count on one hand how many times I received an alcoholic PDB on AS for some time. Indeed there are numerous posts on different topics on this forum that constantly "gripe" about no PDB on AS other than water. Sure, I have had coffee offered to me several times but again, not sure about a "new" policy of no PDB when there was none before, again unless you are referring to the Hawaii trips.
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
The ex-VX flights, which have been AS Airbus flights for several months now, the policy has always been to serve PDB including alcoholic. Note the the OP's flight was Airbus/ex-VX.
If Alaska has changed policy to align the PDB policy on Airbus flights to be the same as on the 737, then it is a change for us who are more typically on the Airbus.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
AS really needs to stop this nonsense. I think what you saw was existing policy being taught to a VX FA, as they're cycling through training to get cleared for the Boeings.

As much as AS tries to imitate the Big 3, this is one of the most glaring discrepancies towards that goal.
I'd tend to agree. I would like to hear from the OP if this was a former VX plane/crew.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Occasionally it has been possible to obtain a pdb... it's very much a ymmv thing, and helps when the rest of the cabin is being served coffee. I request mine Irish
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa
Occasionally it has been possible to obtain a pdb... it's very much a ymmv thing, and helps when the rest of the cabin is being served coffee. I request mine Irish
And occasionally a ptarmigan flies over my house in Berkeley.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I'd tend to agree. I would like to hear from the OP if this was a former VX plane/crew.
This was indeed a former VX plane and crew. Every former VX flight I’ve had in the last few months I’ve been offered a PDB - which is why I was surprised (including on my flight to Hawaii last Tuesday)
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NWAlaskaFlyer
Doesn't a lot of this have to do with airframe config? On Alaska FC is always crowded with a line of passengers heading to coach which makes it tough to serve anything. Not impossible if the FA gets to it before the crush but still not easy. I would enjoy a PDB on many occasions but generally speaking I just make sure my lounge experience sets me right for an hour or so.
FWIW, the VX flight attendants always seemed to make it work - but there are also only 8 seats on the VX planes in first.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trevorwh2

FWIW, the VX flight attendants always seemed to make it work - but there are also only 8 seats on the VX planes in first.
And sometimes, there were 2 PDB rounds of drinks. They made that work, too.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
I can confirm that ex-VX FAs have been told no more PDBs after Aug 1. Until now, post-merger, they were told to offer PDBs at their discretion. Pre-merger, offering PDBs was stated VX policy.

The problem I have is that AS is placing the burden on the FAs to explain the change and absorb the resulting frustration from frequent fliers. FAs shouldn’t have to be the ones sharing the bad news.,

Alaska should step up and make clear what the policies are. While taking away more and more AS perks royally blows, I’d rather know in advance of flying.
wrp96, pcoll and trevorwh2 like this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jjmadison
Alaska should step up and make clear what the policies are. While taking away more and more AS perks royally blows, I’d rather know in advance of flying.

For any VX Elites, pre-merger, how many times did you get a complimentary upgrade to First? As stated prior, my 7/30 flight SEA-OGG served an alcoholic PDB. I can't recall getting one any other time.

James
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
For any VX Elites, pre-merger, how many times did you get a complimentary upgrade to First? As stated prior, my 7/30 flight SEA-OGG served an alcoholic PDB. I can't recall getting one any other time.

James
James, I’m talking about revenue customers. Those are the ones who are often annoyed and frustrated, and I would say rightly so.

Many revenue Fs used to specifically choose VX over legacy carriers due to better F service. For those who only fly 2-4x a year, they are surprised by the downgrades in service. They board the airbus plane with full VX interiors, which feels the same. Then when service is noticeably worse than previously experienced, they are unhappy. Some take it out on the FAs.

Imagine walking into an In-N-Out, paying for a Double-Double, then being served a McDonalds burger. You’d not be very happy.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

James
Not the point. Plenty of VX elites paid for F (and not just the paid upgrade program).

The only PDBs in years on AS that I've received have been the POG Fizzies on Hawaii services.

This is a chickenpoopoodoodookaka policy. Further, it doesn't really save AS money, because those water bottles cost them more than your splash of wine or mini of whatever. DL seems to have a mini at the seat plus a full PDB service. AA is variable. B6- not much experience, but I'm batting 1.000. UA, don't really fly them anymore, but somehow, and over half my MM was in narrowbody domestic services, they served PDBs most of the time. battling the torrents of oncoming passengers who were causing winds so forceful they could cause large ships to capsize, yet somehow, still got the PDB to my seat without spilling.
chrisny2, jjmadison and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jjmadison

James, I’m talking about revenue customers. Those are the ones who are often annoyed and frustrated, and I would say rightly so.

Many revenue Fs used to specifically choose VX over legacy carriers due to better F service. For those who only fly 2-4x a year, they are surprised by the downgrades in service. They board the airbus plane with full VX interiors, which feels the same. Then when service is noticeably worse than previously experienced, they are unhappy. Some take it out on the FAs.

Imagine walking into an In-N-Out, paying for a Double-Double, then being served a McDonalds burger. You’d not be very happy.
I understand what you are saying; however, the "Full VX Interior" is the ONLY thing of familiarity for those revenue F pax. You can't call VX to make a reservation, - VX is defunct - the signage at the gate is different, the uniforms are different, boarding passes are different... You should know by the time you board that you purchased an AS flight. It takes time and a lot of money to update an airbus fleet.

As far as your In-N-Out & McDonalds analogy, I would add that if McDonalds purchased In-N-Out, threw up some Golden Arches outside, the staff were wearing McDonalds uniforms and the yet to be updated interior screams In-N-Out, I wouldn't be expecting a Double-Double.

James
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver

As far as your In-N-Out & McDonalds analogy, I would add that if McDonalds purchased In-N-Out, threw up some Golden Arches outside, the staff were wearing McDonalds uniforms and the yet to be updated interior screams In-N-Out, I wouldn't be expecting a Double-Double.

James
And by the same token, AS management should not be surprised at all to find that that F revenue from the Bay Area is drying up. Many, many transcons have no F seats sold a day or two in advance of the flight during peak summer travel when other carriers are sold out. Nobody in their right mind will redeem an award for 70,000 miles each way either. Management has their heads buried very deeply in the sand.
jjmadison likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.