Wiki Posts
Search

Predeparture Drinks in First Class?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I understand what you are saying; however, the "Full VX Interior" is the ONLY thing of familiarity for those revenue F pax. You can't call VX to make a reservation, - VX is defunct - the signage at the gate is different, the uniforms are different, boarding passes are different... You should know by the time you board that you purchased an AS flight. It takes time and a lot of money to update an airbus fleet.
Um, not quite. I flew on a VX plane in June, and (1) there was a full PDB service, there was the old VX safety video, there was no AS magazine in the (non-existent) F seat pocket, the serviceware was VX. The only thing that was not VX-like (other than the gate area) was when I asked if they still had the cookies from the back, the FA snapped at me, got them, and admonished me never to ask for them again.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
And by the same token, AS management should not be surprised at all to find that that F revenue from the Bay Area is drying up. Many, many transcons have no F seats sold a day or two in advance of the flight during peak summer travel when other carriers are sold out. Nobody in their right mind will redeem an award for 70,000 miles each way either. Management has their heads buried very deeply in the sand.
I think AS management has a pretty good handle on how their policies and changes are affecting F sales. I mean, they see this information in real time...
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Just returned from a RT Anchorage-Denver trip two days ago in first class. Alaska seems somewhat out of sync right now. Our airbus flight from Denver to Seattle two days ago was "insufficiently catered" with water and beverages in short supply. Didn't even get a preflight bottle of Dasani. We were given a $50.00 "sorry about that" voucher.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
And by the same token, AS management should not be surprised at all to find that that F revenue from the Bay Area is drying up. Many, many transcons have no F seats sold a day or two in advance of the flight during peak summer travel when other carriers are sold out. Nobody in their right mind will redeem an award for 70,000 miles each way either. Management has their heads buried very deeply in the sand.
I am not disagreeing with you. Transitions are difficult but the reality is, Virgin America no longer exists, it is defunct, gone, dead. Let it go! If AS is not viable for you with the loss of a PDB, there is nothing stopping you from going to Burger King down the street or Taco Bell around the corner and order early because the may run out.

I don't profess to be a CEO, not even from my armchair, so whether AS Management does or doesn't have their head buried in the sand and how deeply isn't something I will comment on but I will add that AS is more encompassing than those narrowly focused just on the SFO perspective. The bigger picture adds a SEA of complexities. Let's focus on SFO, create a sub-fleet of lie-flats and serve Dom before departure. Everyone in SFO content? Wonderful! Hey, home come our Hawaii Numbers are down? Well Sir, WN started flying to Hawaii while you were busy focusing on getting that sub-fleet going in SFO. Damn!, cancel the red-eyes and double up the Dom order. We need those lie-flats for Hawaii.

James
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
I'm not sure how lie-flats got into this conversation. Isn't that already discussed in other threads ?
And PDB doesn't mean "Dom".

VX is history. I get that.
As time goes on, the service on Alaska's Airbus flights will match that of the 737s more and more. I get that.
Aligning service between the 2 fleets doesn't always have to be to adopt the "AS" way. In fact, Alaska's "new" catering (IMHO) is more "VX" than it is "AS".
This thread is about another step in the alignment. It seems the Airbus PDB policy has been aligned with the 737 policy. It could've easily been the 737s aligned to match the Airbus. This would not only align the PDB policy within Alaska's 2 fleets, but also align Alaska with the industry. I think that's the point of this thread.
jjmadison, wrp96, pcoll and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Use "Alaska Listens" on this, folks. Especially you paid F flyers. I remember all my United surveys asking me if I was served a PDB...
Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Um, not quite. I flew on a VX plane in June, and (1) there was a full PDB service, there was the old VX safety video, there was no AS magazine in the (non-existent) F seat pocket, the serviceware was VX. The only thing that was not VX-like (other than the gate area) was when I asked if they still had the cookies from the back, the FA snapped at me, got them, and admonished me never to ask for them again.
That was June, this is August and the loss of a PDB commenced August 1st so your June PDB is irrelevant. Should AS have cleaned out the VX warehouse and sent it all to the dump for a quicker transition to AS catering? Should they have paid out supply contracts and not taken delivery of goods rather than letting them continue until their termination? The VX Glassware now adorns more than one "collection!" Theft? Technically, yes!

AS has about 1200 flights a day. Lets say 75% have F and we use 12 seats as an average. If only 75% of those consume a 50 ml mini and we estimate a very low $2.00 per unit cost with mix, glass & cleaning we are looking at $5,913,000 annually for a single round PDB service across AS operations. If you go out for a few beers on a Friday night, your tab isn't all that much, however if you are the Boss and are picking up the tab for the table while your shareholders are looking for better performance, higher yields and dividends, what are you going to do?

James
Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is time to stop talking about VX. If it had been financially viable, it would not have been eaten by AS. It is gone. People spent years whining about NW, US, and CO. But, it did not unwind the relevant acquisition.

AS has adopted the business model of a LCC and not the benefits of one, e.g. "low cost". It would be better from a branding perspective, if AS abandoned F and simply came up with some nice term which made it clear that it is a better seat with a few cubes of cheese.

For sophisticated fliers on routes where there is competition, if you are still flying AS, it is proof certain that AS's strategy works. Writing to AS is meaningless. If you want an impact, stop flying. If enough people stop, the issue may be revisited.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
It is time to stop talking about VX. If it had been financially viable, it would not have been eaten by AS. It is gone. People spent years whining about NW, US, and CO. But, it did not unwind the relevant acquisition.

AS has adopted the business model of a LCC and not the benefits of one, e.g. "low cost". It would be better from a branding perspective, if AS abandoned F and simply came up with some nice term which made it clear that it is a better seat with a few cubes of cheese.

For sophisticated fliers on routes where there is competition, if you are still flying AS, it is proof certain that AS's strategy works. Writing to AS is meaningless. If you want an impact, stop flying. If enough people stop, the issue may be revisited.
Welcome to Alaska Airlines. Perfectly said & Enough said!

James
Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
That was June, this is August and the loss of a PDB commenced August 1st so your June PDB is irrelevant.
I am simply explaining the post-merger experience that many people have had (with accompanying expectations) only to have it immediately change.

Further, your PDB cost estimate is way off. Your're at least double the actual, as there's no glassware, the minis are about 50¢ a piece, and also, not every seat would get a water, if choosing an alternate beverage.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:14 pm

You're referring to any airline that flies a narrow body except the 757 which boards through 2L.

What makes it worse for AS is on the 738/9 there are always 2 flight attendants in the forward galley just chatting away. And given that AS wants you in your seat 45 minutes before departure, it's an even worse showing.

Poor showing for AS but it's saving $ and trying to appease investors. See the other takeaways.

Originally Posted by NWAlaskaFlyer
Doesn't a lot of this have to do with airframe config? On Alaska FC is always crowded with a line of passengers heading to coach which makes it tough to serve anything. Not impossible if the FA gets to it before the crush but still not easy. I would enjoy a PDB on many occasions but generally speaking I just make sure my lounge experience sets me right for an hour or so.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Alright, time to blow the sh!t out of "Alaska Listens."

This is a complete farce. While this was an unwritten policy forever, that they're telling this to pmVX FAs means that it's an official policy. Why isn't this advertised? Why is AS doing everything it can to be uncompetitive with DL/AA/US? They're basically like a worse version of Sun Country with a better network.

This probably is the straw that breaks the camels back for me. AS clearly have no desire to pick up even the smallest service features of VX.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
For any VX Elites, pre-merger, how many times did you get a complimentary upgrade to First? As stated prior, my 7/30 flight SEA-OGG served an alcoholic PDB. I can't recall getting one any other time.

James
A complementary upgrade to first is meaningless if the cabin is garbage. I'd rather pay a small upgrade fee to move from Main Cabin Select (now Premium) to a stellar F product than get a comp upgrade to a garbage F product.

This cut can't even save that much money. It's just cheap.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by fly18725
I think AS management has a pretty good handle on how their policies and changes are affecting F sales. I mean, they see this information in real time...
This line gets parroted a lot on this forum: "Alaska knows exactly what it's doing blah blah." I think people underestimate how hard it is to effectively use all of the data your business can collect: you've got to actually track the metrics, warehouse them, build data pipelines, run smart analysis, etc., and there are humans involved in every step of that process. Which means that you may still be in the process of doing all this work, your managers may have dumb ideas about what to do/what metrics to track/etc.

I don't buy the "Alaska has perfect information and makes decisions based off that" line, but I don't think a lot of companies do tbh
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:11 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by VX N281VA
A complementary upgrade to first is meaningless if the cabin is garbage. I'd rather pay a small upgrade fee to move from Main Cabin Select (now Premium) to a stellar F product than get a comp upgrade to a garbage F product.

This cut can't even save that much money. It's just cheap.
i agree, it just seems cheap and another slap in the face . Once again, wondering how much more are they going to throw away???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.