FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Predeparture Drinks in First Class? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1924279-predeparture-drinks-first-class.html)

trevorwh2 Aug 9, 2018 2:18 am

Predeparture Drinks in First Class?

Was just informed by my FA that Alaska has changed its policy and will no longer offer pre-flight drinks in first class - water only. Policy went into effect August 1st. Fairly disappointing given that even the legacy carriers do this on a far worse first class product. Just a heads up for folks. :( If it matters - I’m on a previous VX flight out of Maui.

Flying for Fun Aug 9, 2018 3:30 am

Originally Posted by trevorwh2 (Post 30063750)
Was just informed by my FA that Alaska has changed its policy and will no longer offer pre-flight drinks in first class - water only. Policy went into effect August 1st. Fairly disappointing given that even the legacy carriers do this on a far worse first class product. Just a heads up for folks. :( If it matters - I’m on a previous VX flight out of Maui.

When you say drinks are you pertaining to alcohol? I flew out of OGG 8/4 at 10:00 pm for PDX and there was no PDB. However, after connecting to OO E175 to SEA at 7:00 am on 8/5, Orange Juice was served as a PDB. During the 30 minute flight a full drink service was provided and served with two packages of Biscoff. We had already started our decent when I got my beverage. No turbulence that day. ;)

James

keitherson Aug 9, 2018 4:02 am

It's been like this for a while, unfortunately. No full drink service or alcoholic drinks on the ground. In the mornings they might offer orange juice or coffee/tea. Maybe.

The service has become very different compared to Delta in F.

Flying for Fun Aug 9, 2018 4:39 am

Originally Posted by keitherson (Post 30063920)
It's been like this for a while, unfortunately. No full drink service or alcoholic drinks on the ground. In the mornings they might offer orange juice or coffee/tea. Maybe.

The service has become very different compared to Delta in F.

Well I guess my outbound timing was good, 7/30 SEA-OGG 5:50 PM departure. Champagne, POG Mamosa or POG for a PDB. Catered 2 full bottles of Champagne. I haven't flown Delta since the summer of 2015 returning from Europe on a J award. Exactly 1 Delta revenue flight under my belt. SJU-ATL spring of 2014.

James

trevorwh2 Aug 9, 2018 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 30063861)
When you say drinks are you pertaining to alcohol? I flew out of OGG 8/4 at 10:00 pm for PDX and there was no PDB. However, after connecting to OO E175 to SEA at 7:00 am on 8/5, Orange Juice was served as a PDB. During the 30 minute flight a full drink service was provided and served with two packages of Biscoff. We had already started our decent when I got my beverage. No turbulence that day. ;)

James

In this particular case she actually said they were only allowed to serve water under the new policy (so not even juice, Diet Coke, etc). Though, on this particular flight I was looking for something a bit stronger :)

Often1 Aug 9, 2018 7:40 am

Important to compare F pricing. If you are saving substantially by flying F on AS, it may be worth forgoing a cup of OJ or a well vodka or the like. But, if one of the carriers with real F, e.g. AA, DL, or UA is in the ballpark, you are simply seeing AS establish itself as a LCC without the LC, e.g. "low cost". In that case, book the legacy carrier.

sfozrhfco Aug 9, 2018 7:56 am

In many competitive markets, AS is still charging more AND offering less. Go figure.

NoLaGent Aug 9, 2018 8:06 am

AS really needs to stop this nonsense. I think what you saw was existing policy being taught to a VX FA, as they're cycling through training to get cleared for the Boeings.

As much as AS tries to imitate the Big 3, this is one of the most glaring discrepancies towards that goal.

NWAlaskaFlyer Aug 9, 2018 8:25 am

Doesn't a lot of this have to do with airframe config? On Alaska FC is always crowded with a line of passengers heading to coach which makes it tough to serve anything. Not impossible if the FA gets to it before the crush but still not easy. I would enjoy a PDB on many occasions but generally speaking I just make sure my lounge experience sets me right for an hour or so.

Eastbay1K Aug 9, 2018 9:08 am

Originally Posted by NWAlaskaFlyer (Post 30064442)
Doesn't a lot of this have to do with airframe config? On Alaska FC is always crowded with a line of passengers heading to coach which makes it tough to serve anything. Not impossible if the FA gets to it before the crush but still not easy. I would enjoy a PDB on many occasions but generally speaking I just make sure my lounge experience sets me right for an hour or so.

An extremely lame excuse. Other carriers seem to perform the task just fine on planes where everyone boards through 1L.

3Cforme Aug 9, 2018 9:10 am

Originally Posted by NWAlaskaFlyer (Post 30064442)
Doesn't a lot of this have to do with airframe config? On Alaska FC is always crowded with a line of passengers heading to coach which makes it tough to serve anything.

Delta has F cabins and 738s, 739s, 320s and 321s and manages to serve PDBs pretty reliably.

pcoll Aug 9, 2018 10:15 am

The question seems..... Is this really AS policy now or is FA using this as a reason not to offer PDB?
Not clear as others have had differing experiences.
It seems “policy” is used and many are never sure because its always changing on AS.
Welcome Trevorwh2 to FlyerTalk!

pcoll Aug 9, 2018 10:20 am

Originally Posted by trevorwh2 (Post 30064220)

In this particular case she actually said they were only allowed to serve water under the new policy (so not even juice, Diet Coke, etc). Though, on this particular flight I was looking for something a bit stronger :)

since there is no lounge in Maui, I could see looking for something a bit stronger before flight after boarding.:D

JacksonFlyer Aug 9, 2018 10:25 am

I am not sure if this is a "new" policy regarding PDB in general or regarding flights to Hawaii which is the only flight I can recall that had mimosa or POG available. Outside of that I can probably count on one hand how many times I received an alcoholic PDB on AS for some time. Indeed there are numerous posts on different topics on this forum that constantly "gripe" about no PDB on AS other than water. Sure, I have had coffee offered to me several times but again, not sure about a "new" policy of no PDB when there was none before, again unless you are referring to the Hawaii trips.

fly18725 Aug 9, 2018 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 30064308)
Important to compare F pricing. If you are saving substantially by flying F on AS, it may be worth forgoing a cup of OJ or a well vodka or the like. But, if one of the carriers with real F, e.g. AA, DL, or UA is in the ballpark, you are simply seeing AS establish itself as a LCC without the LC, e.g. "low cost". In that case, book the legacy carrier.

Yeah, you better have a substantial savings to cover the $8 cocktail (list price) you won't get before the first beverage service. :rolleyes: