Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Predeparture Drinks in First Class?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2022, 4:05 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by Bellerina;[url=tel:34847984
34847984[/url]]No PDB on flights last week. SEA>SAN>SEA. FA was busy chatting with her sister that was apparently in F class. Otherwise service was really good. And I got a cookie and snack basket.
On the way back there was no snack basket. During boarding the FA gave out at least a couple items from the snack basket (my favourite two items- the popcorn and the Peatos) to some little kids boarding. Not sure why. And definitely extra disappointed as the chocolate chip cookie had been WAYYYYY overcooked and was overly crisp/dry. I wish the snack basket was more consistent. But it's more consistent than the PDBs I guess.
Report the lack of PDB service to Alaska Listens. 🤙🏻🥃
Old Dec 19, 2022, 4:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP75K
My friend is a flight attendant. I guess officially snack basket it handed out on flights over 1100 miles. It’s loaded on the plane just incase people do not like the food offered.

he also said officially PDB has been delayed do to a “safety” issue. The union is working on it.
Bellerina likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 4:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by scklumb
My friend is a flight attendant. I guess officially snack basket it handed out on flights over 1100 miles. It’s loaded on the plane just incase people do not like the food offered.

he also said officially PDB has been delayed do to a “safety” issue. The union is working on it.
That's so weird. I've had it on my SJC-SEA flights in the past two months. Given you don't get a nicer meal on the flights under 1100 miles, it seems like snack basket would be an easy, cheap option to improve the service.

Lack of consistent PDBs, no loner giving snack basket on flights 350-1099 miles, no lounge access on flights under 2,100 miles. I really can't justify buying F these days. Service is really getting lower. Sad.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 10:20 pm

Programs: AS 75K
The union is working on it.
What are they working on? Ensuring consumers get their PDB or working on their members not having to give out a PDB? The former would surprise me.... the latter? Not so much.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 2:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
I guess officially snack basket it handed out on flights over 1100 miles.
Originally Posted by Bellerina
no loner giving snack basket on flights 350-1099 miles
Strange. I’ve seen the snack basket constantly on routes like SFO-PHX/SoCal in recent weeks. Sometimes multiple passes.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 9:00 am

Programs: Delta SM, 1MM; Alaska Gold 100K
I was on AS 188 (SFO-JFK) on Saturday, December 17. The FA did a PDB shortly after almost everyone had boarded. I thanked him and mentioned how rare it has become.
He replied he tried to do it "whenever possible".
Bellerina likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 6:08 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
I have only had a PDB offered two of three times on AS, both times it was an AM flight and the offer was for orange juice or coffee. On a similar theme, it used to be that the FA would come around and take drink and meal orders before takeoff so they could bring them out quickly as soon as we reached the right elevation. It's been a long time since I've seen an FA do that.
Bellerina likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 7:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by econ
Strange. I’ve seen the snack basket constantly on routes like SFO-PHX/SoCal in recent weeks. Sometimes multiple passes.
Agreed! I USUALLY have it SEA-SJC/SFO. That’s why NOT getting it is so annoying. I’ve come to expect it and very much enjoy the light snack.

I don’t like that supposedly the policy has changed to not include it on the less than 1,100m flights.

I wonder if I had asked for a snack if they would have offered it. But I try not to be that person.

Anyways, back to topic. I did have PDBs on about half my recent sea-sjc/sfo flights. On the SAN flights, no pdb, and no doing orders before the flight even though there was definitely time on the outbound flight.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 10:07 am

I had snack basket on SEA-LAS which is approx 850 miles. No PDB, also no nuts offered. There was some sort of cabin crew shuffle that occurred: the crew that was there while we boarded (including an F FA that took our drink orders) ended up getting off the plane and a different crew ended up working the flight. So while disappointing there was no PDB, something bigger was going on. Agreed with some of the above comments: inconsistent service, no lounge access and no PDBs chips away at the value.

Last edited by ASA_1; Dec 21, 2022 at 10:16 am
Old Dec 21, 2022, 11:15 am

Your friend is making excuses....PDB is officially part of the duties, theres no delay
Old Dec 21, 2022, 11:20 am

Programs: AS MVP75K
Originally Posted by mtofell
What are they working on? Ensuring consumers get their PDB or working on their members not having to give out a PDB? The former would surprise me.... the latter? Not so much.
The union is fighting, the task of PDB. They do not want their attendants doing it, due to a "Safety" thing. He didn't tell me what the "Safety" thing was, and I didn't want to ask. cause he often tells me inside scoop stuff. Their IMD tell them exactly what to do, and the timing of everything. Literally it says, take dinner and drink orders after takeoff, not on the ground. Hand out drink and nuts first, do whole cabin, then come through cabin again and see if refills are needed, before dinner is served. After dinner do another round of refills if needed, yada yada yada. I'm generalizing but it's very detailed. and PDB are not listed on their IMD. Now it might be that the IMD only states what service to do after takeoff, and not what to do on the ground.

Originally Posted by alaska88
Your friend is making excuses....PDB is officially part of the duties, theres no delay
LOL, He is pretty laid back. If there is a wayout of doing something he will take it. But he is a good customer advocate and does put the customer first. He wants the customer happy.

Last edited by scklumb; Dec 21, 2022 at 11:31 am
Old Dec 21, 2022, 11:32 am

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
I almost always have a PDB offered on AA. A real PDB with the option of alcohol, too. If AS wants to charge more than the competition for the same routes it seems they should at least match them in service.
ffman999 likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 11:57 am

While it's just a DP (or, rather, 26 of them), I've flown 26 AS mainline flights in F in 2022 and was offered a PDB on exactly zero of them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.