Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Alaska suck now?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2018, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by jumpdogjump
Just flew a mid-day transcon on Saturday - 6 hr. JFK-LAX on a Virgin Airbus. 1 drink service, 0 snacks. No biscoff, nothing. nada. zilch. Only food for purchase on the IFE. At least hard product hadn't been converted yet & I got a late baggage delivery voucher.

So for me, the answer is yes.
That has been my experience on every Virgin Airbus transcon/Hawaii flight I've taken in regular economy, both pre-merger and post-merger. No complimentary snacks and if you want more than one beverage, you have to request through the seatback screen. Hopefully, AS will address this issue and upgrade the service on former VX-metal aircraft to include complimentary snacks. All I'm saying is it's nothing new...
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:08 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by channa
Los Angeles is the second largest market in the country. San Francisco, Seattle, and San Diego are all in the top 20 (SF would be in the Top 10 if they classified San Jose as part of the area). Portland is not far behind in the Top 25.

Calling them a regional airline when their only hubs were SEA and PDX in the US48 was fair. Now, not so much. They're West Coast focused for sure, but hardly regional.
I think it is fair to say if you are based out of LA, Bay Area, Seattle, Portland, or possible San Diego that AS can likely be a good 1st choice domestic, but if you need to fly anywhere not to or from from those four major metro areas they are extremely limiting and can't come close to what DL, AA, UA or even WN offers.

Old Jun 18, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by David Cuthbert
The diminishing friendliness of the Alaska employees after the VX merger is making me eye DL instead. Alaska's route matches my business travel needs extremely well (fly every other week from SEA, usually down to BUR/LAX, but occasionally to ABQ, SFO/OAK/SJC, DEN, and PSC in the winter). But the service has gone downhill. I've never seen outright nastiness from an FA or GA until this year (FAs while we were on the ground in BUR and our flight was eventually cancelled due to weather; GAs a couple weeks ago with the new baggage size rules).

It's basically a toss up now between AS and DL for me.
welcome to FlyerTalk.
it sounds like you are experiencing what many of us have reported . It is too bad, and sad.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
The diminishing friendliness of the Alaska employees after the VX merger is making me eye DL instead. Alaska's route matches my business travel needs extremely well (fly every other week from SEA, usually down to BUR/LAX, but occasionally to ABQ, SFO/OAK/SJC, DEN, and PSC in the winter). But the service has gone downhill. I've never seen outright nastiness from an FA or GA until this year (FAs while we were on the ground in BUR and our flight was eventually cancelled due to weather; GAs a couple weeks ago with the new baggage size rules).

It's basically a toss up now between AS and DL for me.
Welcome to Flyertalk and the Alaska Airlines forum @David Cuthbert.

Just flew a mid-day transcon on Saturday - 6 hr. JFK-LAX on a Virgin Airbus. 1 drink service, 0 snacks. No biscoff, nothing. nada. zilch. Only food for purchase on the IFE. At least hard product hadn't been converted yet & I got a late baggage delivery voucher.

Also, overheard the FA's talking about VX flight attendants who quit for "obvious reasons." when one asked the other why, the reply was, "would you want to work for us after working for Virgin?"

Not sure what happened here. Did you ask about snacks?

As for why the FA's would want to stick with AS... 1) It's a viable company that is turning a profit. 2) Income AFAIK has increased as well.

Perhaps they are concerned about the cross-fleeting training this summer?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Recently (last week), my last 4 flights could not have been more opposite to what you found. (LAS and SAN). Obviously our experiences vary!
Old Jun 19, 2018, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by ou81two
No, that's not the issue. I have 0 problems with tickets not being available. I realize the window restrictions. THe problem with AS, and I've reached out directly to executives on this and they were useless, is that they won't take any feedback to improve their process. All they need to do is implement a no mixed itineraries filter. That takes maybe a day to do and test on their website.

The problem is that I can spend a hour checking through fares to find that there's 0 available on Qantas. I want to be able to search, without mixed itineraries, on one of their partners for a fare. That's not possible.

There are things entirely in their control and they just don't fix them.
A "no mixed itin" filter isn't one that's needed. The actual filter that's needed is "the over-water/longest segment needs to be in first/business class".
Or, change the display such that it clearly shows the mixed-cabin on the search result page instead of having to click on the individual flight.
MJMLBBtoCPH and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Originally Posted by beckoa
Welcome to Flyertalk and the Alaska Airlines forum @David Cuthbert.

Not sure what happened here. Did you ask about snacks? I didn't, but then I was trying to fit "the Shape of Water", Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, MO" and about 6 pixar shorts into my ride time. Wife pointed it out to me with about an hr.to go But 10 yr. old daughter definitely chooses B6 as her fav. airline (which we flew on the outbound) - 2x drink & snack service, a choose-your-own granola bar basket). I did send cust. service an email asking if this was the norm.

As for why the FA's would want to stick with AS... 1) It's a viable company that is turning a profit. 2) Income AFAIK has increased as well.

Perhaps they are concerned about the cross-fleeting training this summer? Perhaps. the comments were overheard whilst waiting for the loo, as our BA board friends would say. I hadn't heard that level of negativity before from an FA as I was standing 3 feet away.in his line of sight.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

Also, overheard the FA's talking about VX flight attendants who quit for "obvious reasons." when one asked the other why, the reply was, "would you want to work for us after working for Virgin?"

"I got a raise" and "I have better working conditions" are bizarre "obvious reasons" for quitting. But who am I to judge?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
"I got a raise" and "I have better working conditions" are bizarre "obvious reasons" for quitting. But who am I to judge?
Know 2 ex-VX folks who are gone now - one a former FA, the other a former gate agent. Both said the same thing: Alaska sucked the fun out of their job and turned it into a very fine line corporate culture.

VX allowed their employees some degree of autonomy and flexibility, and overall encouraged fun - Alaska doesn’t. Not saying that’s wrong, it’s just two completely different corporate cultures and I easily understand why many VX employees either quit or got the axe. People worked for VX for a reason - and they (should) work for any company for a very specific reason and be a good fit ... too often this doesn’t actually happen. Honestly it’s better for both parties that if one doesn’t gel with the company culture, they go find one where they do. Unfortunately the merger created that mess with AS and VX...

hearing this sort of thing from the FAs fully falls in line with those I’ve heard already
Old Jun 19, 2018, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by jk88usa

Know 2 ex-VX folks who are gone now - one a former FA, the other a former gate agent. Both said the same thing: Alaska sucked the fun out of their job and turned it into a very fine line corporate culture.

VX allowed their employees some degree of autonomy and flexibility, and overall encouraged fun - Alaska doesn’t. Not saying that’s wrong, it’s just two completely different corporate cultures and I easily understand why many VX employees either quit or got the axe. People worked for VX for a reason - and they (should) work for any company for a very specific reason and be a good fit ... too often this doesn’t actually happen. Honestly it’s better for both parties that if one doesn’t gel with the company culture, they go find one where they do. Unfortunately the merger created that mess with AS and VX...

hearing this sort of thing from the FAs fully falls in line with those I’ve heard already
With all respect to the VX FA's, they got HUGE pay increases and the industries best work rules by way of this merger. Many of them commute to/from their bases and Alaska provides significant protections for commuters. They got job stability that they really didn't have before. They got established work rules that are backed up by a solid contract. But hey, if being cool in their uniform and feeling like they work for a "sexy" airline is more important to them, then I imagine they should find an airline that meets those needs.

Last edited by AS Flyer; Jun 19, 2018 at 11:31 pm
Old Jun 19, 2018, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
With all respect to the VX FA's, they got HUGE pay increases and the industries best work rules by way of this merger. Many of them commute to/from their bases and Alaska provides significant protections for commuters. They got job stability that they really didn't have before. They got established work rules that are backed up by a solid contract. But hey, if being cool in their uniform and feeling like they work for a "sexy" airline is more important than I imagine they should find an airline that meets those needs.
Totally agree - and that's why I think it's mutually beneficial for both parties if those who wanted to work for that "sexy" airline part ways with Alaska.

I was simply addressing the "outrage" over how FAs could be bashing a company giving them a pay increase, job security, etc....it's b/c many of them didn't care about that, they cared about working for Virgin and having a unique company to work for... much like you (I hope) and me have reasons we work for the company we do, these folks had their own personal priorities that don't align with Alaska's ... simple as that.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jk88usa
Totally agree - and that's why I think it's mutually beneficial for both parties if those who wanted to work for that "sexy" airline part ways with Alaska.
👍 Any employee who badmouths his/her employer within earshot of customers (er, “guests”) should just move on. That’s a large part of why I gave up on UA.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by beckoa
This is the most important part of this thread.

Catering 4 Hazelnut Espresso Vodkas per flight is not enough, especially when others are enjoying this as well.
I am so with you. Have you written to AS?
pcoll likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 12:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
I am so with you. Have you written to AS?
Yes I have... and mentioned on alaskalistens.com too.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold75k, WN A-List, AA, FI, DY, UA, Marriott Lifetime Silver, Hilton Diamond, Amtrak
Are VX FAs slightly rude? Or is it a millennial thing?

I am assuming the FAs for VX are still operating on only VX planes separately from AS FAs?

I've only flown VX a handful of times last fall and earlier this winter, but I could definitely detect among a few VX flight attendants and gate agents a certain level of rudeness or haughtiness to varying degrees (i.e. we are primarily here for your safety) when compared to the awesome friendly service I have consistently gotten from AS and Horizon, like the Delta commercial from when I was in high school in the 80s, "we love to fly, and it shows"

With the huge volume of times I've flown Alaska, it is difficult to remember any incidents where I felt like I was a burden to the flight attendants. AS flight attendants are so consistently courteous and professional. Of course, I've had some nice experiences with some flight attendants and gate agents on VX as well the last 9 months. So, I don't want to overstate my negative experiences on VX. But, I suppose I'm not down with the millennial-esque VX culture of Richard Branson. I prefer the formal professionalism and courteousness of Alaska. I've sometimes had the same flight attendants on AS who have recognized me. They seem like family. I worry about having to deal more with the VX flight attendants in the future and just hope that they either adapt and embrace Alaska or leave.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.