Does Alaska suck now?

Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:49 pm
vji
Original Poster

Does Alaska suck now?

More of a rant piece, but seeing devaluations after devaluations I'm wondering if Alaska has the right mindset.
This is more toward the FF crowd, not the "I find the cheapest fare on Google then buy it" crowd.
Just scanning through the recent FT posts, I can think of several things AS is known for:

What was good about Alaska:
Generous FF program, with good international redemptions, albeit lower availability than other programs
60-day free changes (gone)
Price protection guarantee
Good earn rates (mileage-based) - it was often the best choice to credit to Alaska on most of its partners
Post VX merger, all the VX routes
Service is second to none
Fast call center times
Companion fare?

What wasn't great about Alaska:
Lounge is usually subpar compared to other airlines
First class is just okay

Good things within the recent year:
New partnerships with Singapore and Aer Lingus (but still no redemptions)
Earnings on post-VX routes

Bad things within the recent year:
SDC fee change
No more free 60-day change
Draconian enforcement of lowered baggage sizes
Many VX routes reduced in frequency or completely going away
F award pricing is higher, harder to find awards at saver level
Loss of DL partnership, KLM, AF, Aeromexico
Devaluation of AA, LATAM
Award space for Qantas dropped even further, JL is hard to book (nit)

Sure, AS still provides incredible value, the changes are still more generous than what other airlines have, etc. but the writing looks like it's on the wall - we're in for a bumpy ride.

Last edited by vji; Jun 6, 2018 at 5:58 pm Reason: diversions not recent
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by vji
Diversions from SFO->SJC/OAK
Not a recent development
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:14 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

After the more recent Latam devaluation, I am now actively looking to burn down my mileage balance. The writing is on the wall.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
it has been a rough ride since the merger announcement, and i fear there is more to come. i'm sitting on too high a mileage balance, but one that fortunately is not continuing to grow at a rapid pace..., but also don't have "time" to burn it down (not to do the searching to find good award flights, but rather the time to take a worthwhile trip). that said, i'm going to need to use them up soon based on the aforementioned "writing on the wall".
flatdawgs likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
I don't know about sucks, but the recent changes are making me have fewer concerns over my impending switch to DL. I'm burning my Mileage Plan balance down to nil this year while the CX chart is still such a good value.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
it has been a rough ride since the merger announcement, and i fear there is more to come. i'm sitting on too high a mileage balance, but one that fortunately is not continuing to grow at a rapid pace..., but also don't have "time" to burn it down (not to do the searching to find good award flights, but rather the time to take a worthwhile trip). that said, i'm going to need to use them up soon based on the aforementioned "writing on the wall".
I'm in the same boat as you. Nervous about the stockpile of miles I'm sitting on with no real time to use them. Hoping AS leaves the burn charts alone for now...
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The grass in not always greener on the other side
MapMan25 and CommiseRate like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: AS
The view of the new landscape is concerning.
glad we were able to get Award travel booked now.
SEA/Lax/SYD First/ Business on Qantas ( I know, a true miracle) and then HKG/ SEA Business on Emirates. Worth the miles / 40 day trip.
booked SEA/ LHR/ BCN First BA. return BCN/ LHR (1 week layover ) LHR/ SEA First BA. worth the fees for direct flights.
hopefully, a trip,or two should take care of the balance.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:29 pm

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jinglish
I don't know about sucks, but the recent changes are making me have fewer concerns over my impending switch to DL. I'm burning my Mileage Plan balance down to nil this year while the CX chart is still such a good value.
As AS is moving towards the Big 3's FF programs and pretend they are one of big boys now (but they are not), I am hedging my bet by going for DL GM this year, while keeping my 75K status. Neighbor's lawn is not always greener, but AS is becoming the same shade of green as its larger competitors. So if their program is becoming like DL, UA, and AA, what is the advantages of flying AS, since the big 3 all have a much bigger domestic network, and flying to many international destinations, but AS does not offer any of that?

Right now the only MP advantages left that counts are mileage based earning (not revenue based), and MVPG/75K still can make changes/cancellations without penalties. If these benefits are going away, I think most of its loyal FF like us will be done with them.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:37 pm

No. But concerns abound.

Originally Posted by jinglish
There are still some benefits unique to Alaska. But management seems oddly eager to erode these qualites, one by one, even when they are competitive differentiators from the actual big 4. United, Delta, and Southwest arent standing still, and each - in their own unique way - is attempting to get better. If and when the competitors routes are better, policies are roughly similar, redemption options are more complete, and service is within a reasonable margin, Alaska will be in trouble outside the PNW. That may not ever happen for you. Or, it might happen really soon, or even be already true, depending on your own particular flying habits and prefs. Service with Alaska legacy crews and the mileage plan are the key remaining differentiators. For now.
flatdawgs likes this.

Last edited by BayAreaTrvler; Jun 6, 2018 at 10:27 pm
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by BayAreaTrvler
That may not ever happen for you. Or, it might happen really soon, or even be already true, depending on your own particular flying habits and prefs. Service with Alaska legacy crews and the mileage plan are the key remaining differentiators. For now.
One thing that I already know will work in my favor is elite qualification. Yes, I'll have to worry about spending now, and I won't earn as many redeemable miles along the way, but because DL tracks distance and spending separately I'll at least get my flown distance in qualification miles. As someone who's tended to fly at least as far on partners (internationally) as on AS every year, the reduced earning rates on cheap partner fares have been hurting my ability to attain higher status with AS.

AS's customer service has been a huge differentiator for me, particularly from phone reps--they have always been very helpful, and I've even received a few unannounced, preemptive upgrades when I've called in to fix a ticket after a schedule change--but I've heard a lot of complaints from others around here recently about a decline in service quality as AS has hired more amid the digestion of VX. And I've experienced some of that too; when I had a partner award schedule change a couple of years ago, I had to call in again to actually accomplish anything, because the first agent just read off my new flight numbers and departure times and failed to reissue the ticket. Meanwhile, while I was trying to book an award on AF last month but wasn't able to do so on their site, a DL twitter rep actually called me to confirm some details before confirming the booking. So the grass is a little less green on this side, and apparently not totally parched on the other.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: AS 75K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
If you fly frequently on Alaska there is still great benefits to being Gold or 75k. If your miles come from partners in coach then maybe not. The reality is that it depends on your situation. I don't see how any of this has to do with Alaska "sucking". At least they still offer 100% miles on AS metal.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by nrunning24
If you fly frequently on Alaska there is still great benefits to being Gold or 75k. If your miles come from partners in coach then maybe not. The reality is that it depends on your situation. I don't see how any of this has to do with Alaska "sucking". At least they still offer 100% miles on AS metal.
I agree with this. I would also add that as a 75K there have been numerous times where agents have bent over backwards to forgive fees, make changes, and just be helpful. The ability to book in advance because I know there is a price guarantee and that I can cancel up to a minute before my flight without losing a dime is invaluable to me. I guess there's an argument to be made to the act of collecting Alaska miles not being as valuable in some instances, but I don't know about the airline "sucking"...
jjmadison and MapMan25 like this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:01 am

I agree with this. I would also add that as a 75K there have been numerous times where agents have bent over backwards to forgive fees, make changes, and just be helpful. The ability to book in advance because I know there is a price guarantee and that I can cancel up to a minute before my flight without losing a dime is invaluable to me.
Fee free changes for elites is something everyone provides (delta, united, american, jetblue etc). As an alaska gold i guess its still fine and alaska doesn't suck, but i don't see any reason to be mvp or lower and buying alaska airlines anymore. Only if price/schedule is better (which its not in mostly any case, since delta/southwest/jetblue are undercutting alaska on price on almost every route even from seattle).
Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Fee free changes for elites is something everyone provides (delta, united, american, jetblue etc)
yes, but not necessarily at the 50,000 EQM elite level like AS does. often you need to hit the 75,000 mile tier to get that waiver.

with recent negative changes to AS program/flight experience, WN is now the most customer friendly airline across the board, IMO. or maybe B6.
be_rettSEA likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.