Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Alaska suck now?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by FlyASaura
I'm not sure where the "schedule is better" piece for DL/WN/ and B6 is coming from. Delta is the only one that is even close to competitive with schedules, and they still have a slew of 1x daily midday or redeye only flights on routes where Alaska has morning, midday, or evening options. Delta's more limited SEA schedule is the biggest barrier that keeps me away from them even when the price is better .
Frequency isn't the only component of scheduling. As a leisure traveler, there are times when I want to book a redeye to the east coast, and I'm going to get a lot more sleep on a B6 departure around midnight than an AS flight leaving at 10:20 to maximize utilization.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by halamadrid
IBut also on the good side (which have vastly outnumbered the bad experiences) I've even had agents put me on a flight to get me home even when the gate agents and CS at the airport absolutely refuse because the flight is "full" (GA even refused to put me in the stand-by list ...smh).
This often means that flight crew are on the plane and they don't want to boot them.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:53 pm

AS was great, but it's pretty clear it's time for them to sell out. They can't compete with the bigs, they have no real partners to speak of anymore, they have the worst redemption rates in the industry and what was the best loyalty program is being taken apart to implement new fees. The Virgin acquisition makes about as much sense as turd sandwich.

They should just sell to Delta and be done with it. I'd be stunned if their board isn't working on that plan now.
SEA777GUY likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
My answer:

No
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:39 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by ou81two
they have the worst redemption rates in the industry
Or not. I saved 50.000 miles booking my Qantas business/first trip with Alaska miles over AA miles. Why should I pay AA 50,000 miles more for the exact same flights?

I've also done some SEA/YVR trips when they were on sale for 10,000 miles. Good luck finding that with AA miles - just doesn't exist. Have also done some WAS/NYC award travel at 25K RT - granted they may be a little harder to find in the summer months, but I have some flexibility on travel dates (like a choice of 365 days each year).

Can you expand on why Alaska has the "worst redemption rates in the industry"? I'm not seeing it.

The VX merger and SFO hub is the only reason I made Alaska my primary carrier 18 months ago. Without SFO, my time would be best spent using my lifetime status with both AA and UA. For now, Alaska has the service I want to the Northwest, Hawaii, NYC and WAS. I'm making it work.

Tom in Albuquerque tonight
jinglish likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Can you expand on why Alaska has the "worst redemption rates in the industry"? I'm not seeing it.
t
There's a study that came out on the topic. Every time I search for a Qantas business reservation the only thing I can find is a mixed fare with AS business from SEA to LAX and then coach to Australia. I've been asking them to fix this for a good 4 years now.

Their web team says that this can't be done. They could filter is on the front end, but they're too stupid to do that. You might have found a Qantas reward fare, but they're not easily found and AA has more options.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Every time I search for a Qantas business reservation the only thing I can find is a mixed fare with AS business from SEA to LAX and then coach to Australia. I've been asking them to fix this for a good 4 years now.
AA does the exact same thing on their web site with Qantas flights, misleading one to think there is business award availability the entire route to Australia when it's only there on one segment when you click through for details. A good example is a routing this Saturday OAK-DFW-SYD for 80,000 AA miles, with only OAK-DFW in business.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
AA has more options.
What are those options you mention, given that Qantas and Fiji Airways are both AA and AS partners? Air Tahiti Nui? AS has Emirates and Cathay as viable options (a Cathay award US-Australia is two AA awards since they don't allow a HKG routing). I think I would rather have EK and CX as options for Australia travel over TN.
pcoll, jinglish and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:41 pm

There's a study that came out on the topic.
I'm guessing you mean the study that was discussed in this thread. Most of us here had a lot of issues with the methodology--it said AA has better availability than DL and UA, ferchrissakes.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:50 pm

It's easy to express how much I see Alaska going downhill,

I'm flying Allegiant this month.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I would agree that QF awards to/from Australia are a little tougher than KE, EK, CX however they are available and bookable on AS. I am on QF8 DFW-SYD in F at the end of August and it wasn't booked at T-330. I could have added YLW-SEA-DFW but the timing on the route isn't favourable and would be a red-eye arriving about 14 hours before the Qantas Departure. I purchased a ticket YLW-SEA-SFO-DAL with a long enough layover in SFO to enjoy a night in a hotel and feel refreshed when I arrive in DAL. I used GGU's to immediately upgrade both SEA-SFO & SFO-DAL into Airbus F for $277.

I use Qantas to scan for availability for premium cabin awards. It will show you for a month at a time. I have found and booked CX, QF, EK, AA & JL awards, mostly in F. Yes, there is some AA Saver F LAX-HKG out there too. AS is by far the best for award redemption and rates for me. I flew CX JNB-HKG//HKG-BOS F in February for 70k, flying QF8 DFW-SYD F for 70k and I will call to add MEL after a stopover for no additional points. Next February we are flying CX 1F, 1J LAX-HKG//HKG-BNE with YLW-SEA-LAX the prior day in F for 80K/60K and JL Fx2 HND-LAX-SEA-YLW for 70K for the return in March.

Can you please explain why these are poor redemptions and where my miles could be better utilized?

I should also disclose that both my Partner and I are MVPG75K from butt-in-seat miles flown. I am not a broker and don't purchase AS miles even during bonus sales. We have 5 AS CC accounts that saves us $1000's of dollars with 5 annual companion certificates and we usually fly up front with them. As MVPG75K if you requalify only on AS Metal without any COS bonus you would would have 75,000 EQM + 1.25 × 75,000 Elite Bonus + 50,000 Bonus for reaching MVPG75K. At a minimum you will have 218,750 RDM for requalification. Of course if you add COS and qualify with 90K AS and partners you will have much more. Add some CC spend and we can easily attain 500,000 -600,000 RDM between us.

Is there another airline that provides better accural for RDM and cheaper redemption rates? I didn't think so!!!! That may change but for now I will contine to Fly Alaska and it's Partners and enjoy all the premium cabin awards I can and they are out there.

James
jinglish, pbelmore and DrAlex like this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I would agree that QF awards to/from Australia are a little tougher than KE, EK, CX however they are available and bookable on AS. I am on QF8 DFW-SYD in F at the end of August and it wasn't booked at T-330. I could have added YLW-SEA-DFW but the timing on the route isn't favourable and would be a red-eye arriving about 14 hours before the Qantas Departure. I purchased a ticket YLW-SEA-SFO-DAL with a long enough layover in SFO to enjoy a night in a hotel and feel refreshed when I arrive in DAL. I used GGU's to immediately upgrade both SEA-SFO & SFO-DAL into Airbus F for $277.

I use Qantas to scan for availability for premium cabin awards. It will show you for a month at a time. I have found and booked CX, QF, EK, AA & JL awards, mostly in F. Yes, there is some AA Saver F LAX-HKG out there too. AS is by far the best for award redemption and rates for me. I flew CX JNB-HKG//HKG-BOS F in February for 70k, flying QF8 DFW-SYD F for 70k and I will call to add MEL after a stopover for no additional points. Next February we are flying CX 1F, 1J LAX-HKG//HKG-BNE with YLW-SEA-LAX the prior day in F for 80K/60K and JL Fx2 HND-LAX-SEA-YLW for 70K for the return in March.

Can you please explain why these are poor redemptions and where my miles could be better utilized?

I should also disclose that both my Partner and I are MVPG75K from butt-in-seat miles flown. I am not a broker and don't purchase AS miles even during bonus sales. We have 5 AS CC accounts that saves us $1000's of dollars with 5 annual companion certificates and we usually fly up front with them. As MVPG75K if you requalify only on AS Metal without any COS bonus you would would have 75,000 EQM + 1.25 × 75,000 Elite Bonus + 50,000 Bonus for reaching MVPG75K. At a minimum you will have 218,750 RDM for requalification. Of course if you add COS and qualify with 90K AS and partners you will have much more. Add some CC spend and we can easily attain 500,000 -600,000 RDM between us.

Is there another airline that provides better accural for RDM and cheaper redemption rates? I didn't think so!!!! That may change but for now I will contine to Fly Alaska and it's Partners and enjoy all the premium cabin awards I can and they are out there.

James
Because the real business world does not operate by power users and hobbyists maximizing mileage redemptions for First Class flights on 5-star carriers through obscure award charts and maximizing routing and stopovers.

Look through Alaska's own data and you'll see the majority of redemptions are for AS on their own metal.

By this metric, not bloggers and Flyertalk hobbyists salivating over CPM and suites, they are failing as award space on their own metal is becoming tighter and Alaska continues to offer no long-haul international service and are losing partners left and right.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I would agree that QF awards to/from Australia are a little tougher than KE, EK, CX however they are available and bookable on AS. I am on QF8 DFW-SYD in F at the end of August and it wasn't booked at T-330. I
Its gotten a lot worse since you booked nearly 300 days ago. As of a few weeks ago not a single TPAC seat after December. Finally some dates in 2019 started showing up but only looks to be February at this point. I didn't see March on.

Last edited by CDKing; Jun 13, 2018 at 5:18 pm
Old Jun 13, 2018, 6:43 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
"Its gotten a lot worse since you booked nearly 300 days ago." Amen!
Old Jun 13, 2018, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
Its gotten a lot worse since you booked nearly 300 days ago. As of a few weeks ago not a single TPAC seat after December. Finally some dates in 2019 started showing up but only looks to be February at this point. I didn't see March on.
Originally Posted by ned
"Its gotten a lot worse since you booked nearly 300 days ago." Amen!
*ahem*
I am on QF8 DFW-SYD in F at the end of August and it wasn't booked at T-330.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.