Wiki Posts
Search

Does Alaska suck now?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2018, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Quintious
The problem with redeeming on QF (and this is something I know a little about, as I have lifetime status with QF so obviously I make that trip with some cadence) is their (AS) partner redemption windows are shorter than the competition. I can only book out AS rewards for QF F 330 days out. I can do the same 365 days out via any other QF partner.
Not American Advantage, you can't. The 330-day booking window is common to AA/AS/DL and UA.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
The increase in F legroom and the roll out of Premium Class have made AS better. The improved catering also cannot be overlooked, though I wish there were more Crater Lake vodkas.
This is the most important part of this thread.

Catering 4 Hazelnut Espresso Vodkas per flight is not enough, especially when others are enjoying this as well.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:06 am

The problem with redeeming on QF (and this is something I know a little about, as I have lifetime status with QF so obviously I make that trip with some cadence) is their (AS) partner redemption windows are shorter than the competition. I can only book out AS rewards for QF F 330 days out. I can do the same 365 days out via any other QF partner. So by the time you've got a window to book QF F....all the partner redemption seats have been sold. It just never works, and I will never - not once ever - fly in coach to SYD, even on an airline I love as much as QF.

We're in this weird boat where we're sitting on a crap-tonne of AS miles and really don't know how we're going to begin to spend them. AS is down to something like 17 partners (they had over 30 a few years ago, I think), and with the AF/KL partnership ending, no viable way into Europe anymore (because I'm not going to fly garbage like Condor or pay BA's extortion petrol surcharge). QF is out for reasons just stated. CX is a tough redemption. EK's award chart got shot to hell. KE and JL might be fair game, but they don't go to our favourite places.

It's really amazing to look at just how far and how fast the programme has fallen. DL really boxed AS into a corner when they became enemies and DL went after not only AS, but its family, too.
No, that's not the issue. I have 0 problems with tickets not being available. I realize the window restrictions. THe problem with AS, and I've reached out directly to executives on this and they were useless, is that they won't take any feedback to improve their process. All they need to do is implement a no mixed itineraries filter. That takes maybe a day to do and test on their website.

The problem is that I can spend a hour checking through fares to find that there's 0 available on Qantas. I want to be able to search, without mixed itineraries, on one of their partners for a fare. That's not possible.

There are things entirely in their control and they just don't fix them.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
My answer:

No
About a decade ago, I complained to them on how I can't modify my ticket online when, like almost every business traveler, it gets booked through an agent. Can this be done now?

I see a whole lot of holes in their systems and things that they can control that they don't bother to deal with.

That's of course ignoring the strategic mess of buying Virgin with essentially no useful strategic plan for the acquisition.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by ou81two
About a decade ago, I complained to them on how I can't modify my ticket online when, like almost every business traveler, it gets booked through an agent. Can this be done now?
I've been able to modify (upfare) tickets purchased through our TA and Concur on AS, both online and through an AS phone agent. Something I've struck out with AA on.

Other than that, why would your company want you to make changes to the booked itinerary outside of their process? There's a reason (discounts/kickbacks from preferred airlines, policy controls, accountability) that they're steering employees through a TA rather than having them book direct.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: alaska
This is a really good original post sort of tracking what's going on. I've been loyal to Alaska for 10+ years and I'll say that overall, the last 2-3 years I've noticed a drop in service as well as some of the negatives you mentioned. The award redemption stinginess in particular has been frustrating. SOME of this is just due to the merger and issues with VX planes/re routes, etc. SOME of it however is concerning and I do think they've dropped off a bit.

So to answer: No, they don't suck, but if they keep dropping things that made us happy, they could suck soon.

And finally, HOW HARD IS IT TO STACK ENOUGH FRUIT AND CHEESE TRAYS SO THEY DON'T RUN OUT BY ROW 21?!?! They're always running out of the damn things, so stack MORE. For ....'s sake.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by gdam22
This is a really good original post sort of tracking what's going on. I've been loyal to Alaska for 10+ years and I'll say that overall, the last 2-3 years I've noticed a drop in service as well as some of the negatives you mentioned. The award redemption stinginess in particular has been frustrating. SOME of this is just due to the merger and issues with VX planes/re routes, etc. SOME of it however is concerning and I do think they've dropped off a bit.

So to answer: No, they don't suck, but if they keep dropping things that made us happy, they could suck soon.

And finally, HOW HARD IS IT TO STACK ENOUGH FRUIT AND CHEESE TRAYS SO THEY DON'T RUN OUT BY ROW 21?!?! They're always running out of the damn things, so stack MORE. For ....'s sake.
Pre-order it.
dayone likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Qf8 f award @ t-153!

Originally Posted by CDKing
Its gotten a lot worse since you booked nearly 300 days ago. As of a few weeks ago not a single TPAC seat after December. Finally some dates in 2019 started showing up but only looks to be February at this point. I didn't see March on.
As was earlier pointed out my QF F award DFW-SYD was NOT booked at T-330 or even T-250. It was earlier than that. I did say I agreed that QF was more difficult to find than CX, EK & JL. CX is a pretty easy redemption even at T-120 to T-90 and even easier last minute. JL certainly has some availability too. I have JL F HND-LAX for September 27th which I will be cancelling today if anyone wants to see if it returns to inventory.

Now, back to my title. If anyone is looking for a QF8 F award DFW-SYD for a Southern Hemisphere late spring there is one available for November 15th. Hope someone can use it.

They do exist! lol
Old Jun 15, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
There is one for December as well. DFW seems to have the best availability out of all the QF routes. I flew it back in May also booked about 5 months out. Try finding something after Feb though. There is some sort of withholding going on because QF used to be bookable at 331 days and that's when I've booked all my QF in the past.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
There is one for December as well. DFW seems to have the best availability out of all the QF routes. I flew it back in May also booked about 5 months out. Try finding something after Feb though. There is some sort of withholding going on because QF used to be bookable at 331 days and that's when I've booked all my QF in the past.
I noticed that too. No QF after February 24th. I also saw QF F JFK-SYD for February 27th, 3 day after QF booking window. There seems to be some J BNE<->LAX which still requires regulatory approval but AS wants to route via MEL or SYD. Also a little SFO as well.

James

James
Old Jun 16, 2018, 12:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Yes, there is something odd going on with AS and QF. But... my miles posted within a week ^

And I have no idea about business travel and changing travel agent tickets online. Work doesn't cover any of my travel It's all for fun
Old Jun 16, 2018, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
They'll survive just fine, but they'll never be more than a regional player. Their entire consumer base basically revolves around 4 cities on the same stretch of I-5. It's an airline I desperately WANT to support, but they go out of their way to make it infeasible.
Los Angeles is the second largest market in the country. San Francisco, Seattle, and San Diego are all in the top 20 (SF would be in the Top 10 if they classified San Jose as part of the area). Portland is not far behind in the Top 25.

Calling them a regional airline when their only hubs were SEA and PDX in the US48 was fair. Now, not so much. They're West Coast focused for sure, but hardly regional.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 9:53 am

I am pleased with having free streaming entertainment and an increased number of extra legroom seats with the addition of premium class and increased F legroom. Those are two positive changes in the past two years. Not saying it makes up for the other stuff, but the F seat pitch pre-2016 was truly worst in class.
MagicCarpetRider likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
The diminishing friendliness of the Alaska employees after the VX merger is making me eye DL instead. Alaska's route matches my business travel needs extremely well (fly every other week from SEA, usually down to BUR/LAX, but occasionally to ABQ, SFO/OAK/SJC, DEN, and PSC in the winter). But the service has gone downhill. I've never seen outright nastiness from an FA or GA until this year (FAs while we were on the ground in BUR and our flight was eventually cancelled due to weather; GAs a couple weeks ago with the new baggage size rules).

It's basically a toss up now between AS and DL for me.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Just flew a mid-day transcon on Saturday - 6 hr. JFK-LAX on a Virgin Airbus. 1 drink service, 0 snacks. No biscoff, nothing. nada. zilch. Only food for purchase on the IFE. At least hard product hadn't been converted yet & I got a late baggage delivery voucher.

Also, overheard the FA's talking about VX flight attendants who quit for "obvious reasons." when one asked the other why, the reply was, "would you want to work for us after working for Virgin?"

So for me, the answer is yes.

Last edited by jumpdogjump; Jun 18, 2018 at 5:41 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.