Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Alaska suck now?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2018, 6:53 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by keitherson

Because the real business world does not operate by power users and hobbyists maximizing mileage redemptions for First Class flights on 5-star carriers through obscure award charts and maximizing routing and stopovers.

Look through Alaska's own data and you'll see the majority of redemptions are for AS on their own metal.

By this metric, not bloggers and Flyertalk hobbyists salivating over CPM and suites, they are failing as award space on their own metal is becoming tighter and Alaska continues to offer no long-haul international service and are losing partners left and right.
I completely agree ^

I will be earning 75K status again this year, with a much different (and significantly worse) landscape than just a few years ago, sad really. I now wonder if it’s worth becoming 75k again this year or not.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does Alaska suck now? When put in perspective between them and the top 3, no, they don’t suck. Have they changed? Yes. But still better than AA/UA/DL.
Seat 2A, NoLaGent and HatAndJacket like this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 9:57 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Baze
no, they don’t suck.
+1.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by vji
Sure, AS still provides incredible value, the changes are still more generous than what other airlines have, etc. but the writing looks like it's on the wall - we're in for a bumpy ride.
I think you’ve already hit it as to why the do not suck now... they did used to be amazing and now they’re kind of like “meh” but what really sucks is that they’re still better than the other options out there...
Old Jun 14, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: AS, QF, SK
Originally Posted by ou81two
There's a study that came out on the topic. Every time I search for a Qantas business reservation the only thing I can find is a mixed fare with AS business from SEA to LAX and then coach to Australia. I've been asking them to fix this for a good 4 years now.

Their web team says that this can't be done. They could filter is on the front end, but they're too stupid to do that. You might have found a Qantas reward fare, but they're not easily found and AA has more options.
The problem with redeeming on QF (and this is something I know a little about, as I have lifetime status with QF so obviously I make that trip with some cadence) is their (AS) partner redemption windows are shorter than the competition. I can only book out AS rewards for QF F 330 days out. I can do the same 365 days out via any other QF partner. So by the time you've got a window to book QF F....all the partner redemption seats have been sold. It just never works, and I will never - not once ever - fly in coach to SYD, even on an airline I love as much as QF.

We're in this weird boat where we're sitting on a crap-tonne of AS miles and really don't know how we're going to begin to spend them. AS is down to something like 17 partners (they had over 30 a few years ago, I think), and with the AF/KL partnership ending, no viable way into Europe anymore (because I'm not going to fly garbage like Condor or pay BA's extortion petrol surcharge). QF is out for reasons just stated. CX is a tough redemption. EK's award chart got shot to hell. KE and JL might be fair game, but they don't go to our favourite places.

It's really amazing to look at just how far and how fast the programme has fallen. DL really boxed AS into a corner when they became enemies and DL went after not only AS, but its family, too.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
AS needs to start being competitive on the East Coast if they want to survive as a brand/company beyond 2025.
am1108 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
It's good to hear from the FlyerTalk Executive Vice Presidents of Airline Network Development™. Keep it coming.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:41 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
It's good to hear from the FlyerTalk Executive Vice Presidents of Airline Network Development™. Keep it coming.
They are also responsible for Alliance Partnerships, Loyalty Programs and Yield Management .
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:25 pm

Programs: AS, QF, SK
Originally Posted by DCP2016
AS needs to start being competitive on the East Coast if they want to survive as a brand/company beyond 2025.
They'll survive just fine, but they'll never be more than a regional player. Their entire consumer base basically revolves around 4 cities on the same stretch of I-5. It's an airline I desperately WANT to support, but they go out of their way to make it infeasible.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 12:37 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Quintious
They'll survive just fine, but they'll never be more than a regional player. Their entire consumer base basically revolves around 4 cities on the same stretch of I-5.
I agree entirely. Just like this airline will never be relevant to most people outside of Juneau and Anchora... oh, wait.

Also, that's the first time I've heard 1142 miles of freeway referred to as "the same stretch." I get your point, but you are being very dramatic.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
They'll survive just fine, but they'll never be more than a regional player. Their entire consumer base basically revolves around 4 cities on the same stretch of I-5. It's an airline I desperately WANT to support, but they go out of their way to make it infeasible.
By that metric, B6 is doomed: they predominantly serve the same stretch of I-95 save for the outstation at LGB that’s maxed out for growth. The AS station outside the highway corridor (ANC) seems to just keep growing...

Old Jun 15, 2018, 8:22 am

As long as most of the west coast continues to be an engine of economic growth and development, it seems like a pretty good strategy to be a regional player.
channa and pbelmore like this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
The increase in F legroom and the roll out of Premium Class have made AS better. The improved catering also cannot be overlooked, though I wish there were more Crater Lake vodkas.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by fly18725
As long as most of the west coast continues to be an engine of economic growth and development, it seems like a pretty good strategy to be a regional player.
California alone is now the 5th largest economy in the world. (Of course, this is subject to fluctuation because of relative currency values.) Add WA, OR, AK and HI, and you are probably still at 5th, but still ... this is not an insignificant market all by itself.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 9:48 am

I feel like people using this "regional" label is very misleading especially when you're talking about the United States. The BIG3 are the largest airlines IN THE WORLD, i don't think people appreciate how large these airlines operations are. Southwest is up there when you consider passengers carried. Give Alaska some time, there will be growing pains and mistakes. You wouldn't complain about BA not having a hub in Russia (apples to oranges i know) but logistics of operating an airline throughout the US arent as easy as just starting a hub on the east coast. Businesses that don't grow, die, business 101

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.