Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS to Introduce "Saver Fares" (Basic Economy), End Fee Waivers and Add Fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS to Introduce "Saver Fares" (Basic Economy), End Fee Waivers and Add Fees

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by channa
Some negative publicity about this in the Bay Area: https://www.sfgate.com/chris-mcginni...s-12860783.php
The article says:

"(Currently, Alaska's Premium Class seats are sold at a fixed surcharge based on flight length; with dynamic pricing, the cost would vary by supply and demand.)"

It indicates AS is introducing demand-based pricing for PC.

I'm puzzled. When I booked SEA-RNO RT nonstops on E175s recently the PC upgrade cost was $35 one direction and $25 the other. Our K class fare each direction was the same. How is the current surcharge calculated? As MVPGs booked in K we got PC free at time of booking so this is just a curiosity question.

I guess I thought PC upgrades were already somewhat demand-based. What am I missing?

Last edited by Westcoaster; Apr 24, 2018 at 6:38 pm Reason: It's E175, not E75. Fumble fingers.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
The article says:

"(Currently, Alaska's Premium Class seats are sold at a fixed surcharge based on flight length; with dynamic pricing, the cost would vary by supply and demand.)"

It indicates AS is introducing demand-based pricing for PC.

I'm puzzled. When I booked SEA-RNO RT nonstops on E75s recently the PC upgrade cost was $35 one direction and $25 the other. Our K class fare each direction was the same. How is the current surcharge calculated? As MVPGs booked in K we got PC free at time of booking so this is just a curiosity question.

I guess I thought PC upgrades were already somewhat demand-based. What am I missing?
Same for me on my March trip to Seattle.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by ASA_1
For me the biggest disappointment is losing the 60 day waiver. Perhaps if we all write to Brad about our discontent on the topic, he’ll get the message.

Yeah, me too. For my last two family trips, we booked with AS about four months out without even looking at other airlines entirely because of the 60 day change fee waiver. (Living north of the border, WN is not an option.) We were ok paying the price so booked it; other airlines may have been cheaper but we didn’t even look. So I do wonder if they’ll really make more money in change fees that far out than they lose in people booking with other airlines and/or just not booking at all until later.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Explorer789
I feel that those amex cardholders users who have been gaming the free refunds have at least partly contributed to this. The workaround to getting the travel credit reimbursement was that you could buy a refundable ticket for less $100, cancel it, and save the money to your AS MyWallet. Might sound harmless, but there's probably other transaction fees and overhead being incurred for AS for cancelling tickets.
I seriously doubt that – FT is not representative of the real world. AS is a small carrier, AmEx is a small issuer, the fraction of AmEx customers with premium cards is small, only a subset of that (already very small) population needs to game to get their travel credit, and only a subset of those that need to game will in fact use that type of strategy. Bottom line is that intersection of all of those sets is very small, and even then the total amount is capped at $100/200. Plus AS is still getting every penny of that revenue, and in some cases the Wallet funds will even expire before being used! There's no downside here for AS, only for AmEx.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Also, I haven't heard of AmEx reimbursing for any expense higher than $50--and certainly nothing with ticket info attached to the charge.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by jinglish
Also, I haven't heard of AmEx reimbursing for any expense higher than $50--and certainly nothing with ticket info attached to the charge.
Well, they do. I could show you a recent ticket purchase for $58.xx that was reimbursed. The original transaction includes the ticket information on the Amex website.

That said, I don't think my cancelling the ticket is going to bother AS. They got my money in the wallet and I will apply it to a future flight. They have to pay for credit card processing on the original charge, but not again when I use the funds. So it really is like buying a gift card for future use, except that I temporarily held a reservation on a particular flight. And the fact that the credit has an expiration date might very well make me less sensitive to higher fares compared to competitors in the future ("sure, UA is ten bucks cheaper, but I have these 50 bucks in my AS wallet...")
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Well, they do. I could show you a recent ticket purchase for $58.xx that was reimbursed. The original transaction includes the ticket information on the Amex website.

That said, I don't think my cancelling the ticket is going to bother AS. They got my money in the wallet and I will apply it to a future flight. They have to pay for credit card processing on the original charge, but not again when I use the funds. So it really is like buying a gift card for future use, except that I temporarily held a reservation on a particular flight. And the fact that the credit has an expiration date might very well make me less sensitive to higher fares compared to competitors in the future ("sure, UA is ten bucks cheaper, but I have these 50 bucks in my AS wallet...")
Ya, I kinda look at this the same. They've sold the "product" to you already. Just because you have credit and haven't redeemed the service doesn't mean the sale didn't happen. (Unless the charge is fully refunded to the card). The only big issue I can see are planes are going out with seats empty, or too many last minute changes were happening because seats were empty. Possible causing delays at the last minute, or again, empty seats going out is lost revenue.

It's odd though because I feel like a lot of AS routes are pretty full and don't see a lot of last minute changes or empty seats, at least no more then other airlines... but then you've got to think that you only have so many areas to drive revenue growth and that's the target for investors and higher ups.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by acarney
Ya, I kinda look at this the same. They've sold the "product" to you already. Just because you have credit and haven't redeemed the service doesn't mean the sale didn't happen. (Unless the charge is fully refunded to the card). The only big issue I can see are planes are going out with seats empty, or too many last minute changes were happening because seats were empty. Possible causing delays at the last minute, or again, empty seats going out is lost revenue.
I bought tickets several months into the future for my Amex credits. And cancelled a week or so after booking. I assume AS will be able to resell the seats.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
There's also this rule:

https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#threadtitles

(emphasis added)

"Alaska changes" is about as non-specific as you can get. Alaska changes what? My flights? Their rules? They changed their name to SkyHigh Airlines?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngknx7Wag80
Funny, as I started reading through this thread, I flashed back to the SkyHigh Airlines commercial even before I saw this clip. Life imitates art...and not in a good way.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by mczlaw
Funny, as I started reading through this thread, I flashed back to the SkyHigh Airlines commercial even before I saw this clip. Life imitates art...and not in a good way.
The selection of the link was definitely intentional.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 3:48 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Also, I haven't heard of AmEx reimbursing for any expense higher than $50

Single AS charges up to $99.99 have been reimbursed.

and certainly nothing with ticket info attached to the charge.
Not true.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 3:53 pm

All of my Amex reimbursements for the past two years have been ticket purchases
Old Apr 25, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by mczlaw
... Life imitates art...and not in a good way.
Yup. The tiny "tasty" snack box at 3:00 in the youtube video looks like the one they used in Premium Class for a while. You can't make this stuff up.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:16 pm

A weird objection, but I like the back of planes, but if its where certain very price-conscious groups (school groups, families, etc.) are going to be concentrated...well, I'm gonna lose my preferred seats!
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I've already reached out with some at AS to express my concerns about these proposed changes. I plan to continue this communication. I urge others to reach out as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.