Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS to Introduce "Saver Fares" (Basic Economy), End Fee Waivers and Add Fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS to Introduce "Saver Fares" (Basic Economy), End Fee Waivers and Add Fees

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by milypan

Spoiler: it won’t be.
in my experience outside of CA...WN will be more expensive
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jk88usa
in my experience outside of CA...WN will be more expensive
In my experience in SEA, AS and WN always price match on competitive routes, and there's a lot of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattl...p_destinations

4 of the top 10 airports for SEA, and for some others (SMF, OAK), SEA is a top 10 destination for the OTHER airport.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
No sooner was AS announced as "Best Rewards Program" (FlyerTalk Awards 2018 winners announced on usatoday.com) than they had to go and screw it up.

From an AS blog post published last week (https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...touching-down/) that I just read last night:

Like most things at Alaska, we do things a little differently – with you in mind.
I guess that was a load of crap.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
The jump to a "regular" fare is only $20ish.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
The jump to a "regular" fare is only $20ish.
Even if that ends up being true, that's $20 more than what you would have had to pay before they introduced this.

I'll reserve some judgment until they announce details. But there is less and less reasons for me to stick around with Alaska now.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Chugach
One of my big questions is whether or not the MVPG change fee waiver is going away. If it is, that’s a huge change in a bad way.
I saw this on OMAAT:

"Going forward (and I don’t have the exact date on this yet), those fees will apply after the 24-hour purchase window has expired. Alaska describes this as “ending change fee waivers”, but in practice this is the addition of a $125 change/cancellation fee to both paid and award tickets.

Alaska MVP Gold and Gold 75k members will continue to have these fees waived."
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by jackal
No sooner was AS announced as "Best Rewards Program" (FlyerTalk Awards 2018 winners announced on usatoday.com) than they had to go and screw it up.

From an AS blog post published last week (https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...touching-down/) that I just read last night:

I guess that was a load of crap.
The "Best Rewards Program" award might as well be called "Most likely to receive a devaluation".

The winner in this category almost always goes south shortly thereafter.
nsx, milypan and eponymous_coward like this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: Alaska
This trend of smaller and larger take aways for elites is getting to be a real bummer. Thanks for the good times Alaska. I've been already missing the old you for some time now. And it's just getting worse. Best of luck with the new you.
eponymous_coward likes this.

Last edited by bardley; Apr 23, 2018 at 6:36 pm
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:12 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by bardley
Thanks for the good times Alaska. I'm gonna miss the old you. Best of luck with the new you.
It's not you; it's me.

No, I lied. It's you.

I wonder if the bean counters recommended this desperate plan after reviewing the financial damage caused by overpaying for Virgin America. Regardless, the competition for West Coast market share is now all over but the shouting. Southwest will win going away. Alaska will be lucky to preserve its routes to Hawaii.

Ironically, Alaska bought VX in large part to allow it to compete on the West Coast. Yet the high cost of acquiring VX may have killed any chance for Alaska to compete anywhere. Alaska picked its poison, but poison it was.
ORDPSC likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
I also read on OMAAT that Alaska will start selling exit row seats. Presumably continuing to make them free to elites but selling to non-elites? If true, this would make MVP less valuable to me; since exit row availability would likely decrease. As a tall person,sitting in an exit row makes a big difference to me.
Buster and BenA like this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
The details so far are bad enough (60 day non-elite change waiver gone, etc.) that I know a "no changes, no waivers, no favors" fare class that ends up being what AS uses on fare sales is going to push a good chunk of my business to WN pretty quickly. I looked through my currently booked tickets. R class (absolute lowest fare class) all over them.

On a two or three hour flight, first class is a nice to have, not an essential for me. A meal that can be replaced for $5-10 at the airport? Meh. Unlimited booze (and AS always seems to get rid of things I like such as Glenlivet, Woodford Reserve or Sun Liquor)? Meh. I end up driving when I get off the plane anyways a lot of the time, so more than a drink is not really going to happen. So it's the big seat. Do I want to pay to get into the upgrade lottery? Not really. If I want F I can buy F, but that's what the airline wants, isn't it?

But throwing away hundreds of dollars on non-changeable fares and being unable to take advantage of price breaks or to change plans post-purchase is a deal-breaker for me. Your mileage may vary. I've known this applies to my situation and have said it since Basic Economy crept onto the scene.
Your sarcasm detector has failed, and requires a reboot. Or a software update.

Sure, bad news is bad news, but I'm tired of the doom and gloom. I came to AS from United; I've been through this all before.
But where AS is doing better at that United is SERVICE. While it's been a little rocky with the merger, it's not NEARLY the nightmare that I endured for ~5 years during CO/UA, a merger which, frankly, still isn't done, produced 80,000 .....y employees, saw ~10% more seats crammed into existing fuselages, killed countless dogs, and beat up some weird doctor.

I'm not sure Alaska's knees are shaking over whether you and everyone else will never fly them again.
Because business is business, and they have to compete with a slew of carriers that offer bare bones pricing and a global network.
And while I love Southwest, it's really hard to earn Southwest points using their global partners. Because they don't HAVE any partners. Unless you want to buy some kitchenware. Le Creuset for the win???
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Originally Posted by Bretmd
I also read on OMAAT that Alaska will start selling exit row seats. Presumably continuing to make them free to elites but selling to non-elites? If true, this would make MVP less valuable to me; since exit row availability would likely decrease. As a tall person,sitting in an exit row makes a big difference to me.
I know I sound like an AS apologist on this thread; believe me, I am not.
But if selling exit row seats is a big deal breaker for you, then by all means, go fly one of the other carriers. Spoiler Alert: they charge for exit row seating.
And I fail to see how selling something that was previously free will DECREASE its availability to you as an MVP. People who weren't paying for seat assignments in the tail aren't suddenly going to start paying now. If they were, Premium Class would already actually be selling something, rather than going out full of elites for free.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: Alaska
Agreed with Brett. One of the first things I thought of. First row six. Now exit rows.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Bretmd
Prior to Premium Class, exit row (and bulkhead) seats were sold as Preferred Plus seats within 24 hours of departure. Are exit row seats available for free now or is there still a charge but still can't select more than 24 hours prior to departure? I've been MVPG since before PC was introduced so not sure how it appears to general or non-members today.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:21 pm

Big disappointment but not a shock. Having no change fee > 60 days from travel was a huge selling point for me. I noticed they also increased the paid upgrade fees a few weeks ago (that wasn't a huge loss since paid upgrades have gotten scarcer since the F cabins lost a row). It's a race to the bottom to join everyone else I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.