Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS to Introduce "Saver Fares" (Basic Economy), End Fee Waivers and Add Fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS to Introduce "Saver Fares" (Basic Economy), End Fee Waivers and Add Fees

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
calm down people

Hey Everyone,
So I'm new to the AS forum, as I plan on status matching from AA upon moving to San Francisco later this year, and as an Alaska newbie, I mean no disrespect with this post, but I'd like to point out that I was with DL before, and the DL discussion board went nuts over the (horrible) revenue based scheme and other negative changes of a few years ago, everyone said they're leaving Delta and status matching elsewhere, then UA and eventually AA followed suit. I moved to an AA hub, so I switched to AA, and I've learned that each airline has its pros and cons... AS seemed better because of all the things that people here are lamenting either definitely or possibly losing, but AS still looks better than the legacy airlines. They may be headed in a bad direction, and we may want to punish them for the moves they just made, but we may hurt ourselves by jumping ship too soon.

In summary, I'd say that we shouldn't jump ship from AS... YET... if things really go down the tubes than WN or maybe even AA or DL may be a place to run to... but just keep in mind that not too long ago DL, UA, and AA flyers were jumping ship on their own airlines and running to another one of those three airlines because there's nowhere else to go (except maybe WN or... spirit...)
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by beckoa
I've already reached out with some at AS to express my concerns about these proposed changes. I plan to continue this communication. I urge others to reach out as well.
this, i believe, is a good approach and important to do
DrAlex likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I've already reached out with some at AS to express my concerns about these proposed changes. I plan to continue this communication. I urge others to reach out as well.
What did you say about it? It's tough to be constructive on this without being totally self serving. Clearly there's a revenue impact that they see and need to address. Keep leaving money on the table because I like it?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 4:00 pm

I just sent a quick comment just about ending the 60 day free cancelation policy. I pointed out that while I have 75k status I appreciated this bit of flexibility when booking a trip with a family member and that I tend to book more trips earlier because of this policy. I suggested that there be an exception for people on the same reservation as someone with gold/75k status and/or that MVPs be given the 60 day free cancelation.
Sure it is self serving because that would benefit me but it is also true that like many people my behavior in booking will change because of the change in policy. Prices and policies effect how many trips I book and benefits effect how hard I try for status. It is not like Alaska will now pocket $125 for every person who now changes before 60 days. The policy will change people's behavior and so it is helpful to point this out.
DaveH and DrAlex like this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by channa
What did you say about it? It's tough to be constructive on this without being totally self serving. Clearly there's a revenue impact that they see and need to address. Keep leaving money on the table because I like it?
With respect to the 60 day change fee waiver, in my case, that is a competitive advantage that causes me to spend money with AS that would otherwise go to the cheapest airline available at the time I book. The 60 day change fee waiver has caused us to book our last two family trips earlier than we otherwise would (and thus possibly at a higher fare) and without even seriously considering the competition. So in our case, the change fee waiver is not leaving money on the table. In fact, I have never in my life paid a change fee for any reason.
pbelmore likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by HatAndJacket
In summary, I'd say that we shouldn't jump ship from AS... YET... if things really go down the tubes than WN or maybe even AA or DL may be a place to run to... but just keep in mind that not too long ago DL, UA, and AA flyers were jumping ship on their own airlines and running to another one of those three airlines because there's nowhere else to go (except maybe WN or... spirit...)
The bottom line is that if there's very little benefit for "loyalty" on my end (and that is what the push for Basic Economy all boils down to; how you are going to be treated today is based on the fare you buy today, not whether you're a regular customer who might buy different fares tomorrow), I might as well just buy airfare on price/schedule/needs and completely ignore the monopoly money and "I'm so special" card. If I'm given choices between changeable/cancellable fares on WN and completely locked in ones on AS/DL that wouldn't allow for F upgrades or SDC anyway, it's a pretty easy choice for me since it won't matter if I'm flying WN on WGA fares or AS/DL on Basic Economy fares; I'm sitting in Y no matter what.
Buster and milypan like this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by channa
It was a brief interaction at the VX farewell party at the LAX BR.

Basically expressed frustration with losing out on upgrades and the like. Due to near constant travel since the conference call, I wasn't aware of all the details (was inflight when the call was on). I'm actually ok with some other aspects being chipped away if I can keep my upgrades. Losing flexibility for those with elite status will sting, both SDC and depositing funds.

I still may draft a paper letter to HQ once I get a few minutes.
channa and pbelmore like this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:50 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I loved the VX Plans Change Pass. My family members can never seem to nail down their travel dates. The PCP made me get less upset about that.
UAPremierExec and socalgecko like this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: Nada of note these days….
Strategic upgrades...

How about this? Starting with all the data points we have compiled here on upgrades someone could formulate a data set that would ID routes and flights where it is likely that no UG is likely to be had and one should just buy the BE fare and resign yourself to sitting in coach.
There might be other workarounds if we put our thinking hats on. I know the non-waiver of change fees is a major irritation. I guess I’ll be sending a letter to Tilden & his minions addressing my concerns about upcoming changes. As an exclusively leisure traveler I can find other things to spend time on besides an airplane....
Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by Chugach
Lame.

I think the the clock is officially ticking down on Mileage Plan going revenue-based.
Hate to say it, but after years of getting status by way of segments, it would be kinda nice to not get upgrade bumped by people who took a few $300 transcons.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Do we have anything clarifying when exactly the 60 day fee waivers are going to end? Would be nice to have that nailed down...
Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Originally Posted by wwongo
I just sent a quick comment just about ending the 60 day free cancelation policy. I pointed out that while I have 75k status I appreciated this bit of flexibility when booking a trip with a family member and that I tend to book more trips earlier because of this policy. I suggested that there be an exception for people on the same reservation as someone with gold/75k status and/or that MVPs be given the 60 day free cancelation.
Sure it is self serving because that would benefit me but it is also true that like many people my behavior in booking will change because of the change in policy. Prices and policies effect how many trips I book and benefits effect how hard I try for status. It is not like Alaska will now pocket $125 for every person who now changes before 60 days. The policy will change people's behavior and so it is helpful to point this out.
Any booking done by me under my profile has *never* encountered a change fee or cancellation fee. so not sure if that's a glitch, or by design. (MVP Gold right now, was 75K for years though, and had the same effect).

I even cancelled a mileage booking made for a friend on the #VXFarewell and got a full refund. This was done the day OF the flight.
socalgecko likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
It was a brief interaction at the VX farewell party at the LAX BR.
Are you the one who scared Tim away?!?! I went to grab 3 of the Facebook 75K Group members and came back, he was gone. Not that KW wasn't a good source, but they wanted to talk to him about the same issues.

On a side note - I'm not sure anyone, except a few of us, knew that we had Alaska brass present on the flight and at the event!
socalgecko likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by BenA
17CD are the only reason i still fly Alaska. I’ve never received a single upgrade to Premium Class since it was introduced - as a mere MVPG I’m not eligible at time of booking, and all the good seats are always gone by the time the upgrade window opens.
Under the upgrade rules for Premium Class, if you are already seated in an exit row, you won't be automatically upgraded to Premium Class. So if that's been your experience, that's the way it's supposed to work. (Some of us prefer exit row aisle seats to Premium Class, anyway, due to the extra legroom.)

Last edited by Seattlenerd; Apr 28, 2018 at 4:30 pm
Old Apr 29, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Yeah, but I fly a lot of those, too. It will likely kill change/cancel, GARR, SDC for many of the fares I buy. If WN is offering SEA-LAS for $59 o/w and AS is matching it with an R fare (or worse, the only way I can get $59 o/w on a price drop is to switch to an R fare), or I have to pay $20 extra to get the flexibility I like to have, I'm just going to walk to WN for a lot of my shorthaul business*, and then free agent based on price/schedule/service the things they can't handle (I"m thinking B6 to NYC, and whatever works for anywhere else). I really don't care much if I fly in F for two hours or Y. But I do care that this will gut a lot of the features I liked about Mileage Plan that made it similar to WN (or in some cases better).
If you fly a lot of G/T/R fares then AS isn't going to mind losing you to "free agency"

AA, DL and UA have shown that enough people are willing to pay the extra $~20 for a seat assignment, elite perks and flexibility

And there will be more open seats at the front of the plane for those who do pay when the ultra-price sensitive aren't competing for those seats.

ETA: If you currently fly on middle or high fares, this will not affect you one bit. For those flying on low end fares, this essentially becomes a new tax added to the cost of every ticket for seat assignment, entry into the upgrade lottery and flexibility. is that great? No. But it's even worse on AA, DL and UA (no carry on bag, etc.)

Last edited by Tracer_SEA; Apr 29, 2018 at 12:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.