Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS to Introduce "Saver Fares" (Basic Economy), End Fee Waivers and Add Fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS to Introduce "Saver Fares" (Basic Economy), End Fee Waivers and Add Fees

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2018, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
If you fly a lot of G/T/R fares then AS isn't going to mind losing you to "free agency"

AA, DL and UA have shown that enough people are willing to pay the extra $~20 for a seat assignment, elite perks and flexibility

And there will be more open seats at the front of the plane for those who do pay when the ultra-price sensitive aren't competing for those seats.

ETA: If you currently fly on middle or high fares, this will not affect you one bit. For those flying on low end fares, this essentially becomes a new tax added to the cost of every ticket for seat assignment, entry into the upgrade lottery and flexibility. is that great? No. But it's even worse on AA, DL and UA (no carry on bag, etc.)
Sure. I figured we were due for some DL forum-style “WFBF you cheapo” action. Someday it will be your ox being gored by the beancounters, but today it was mine.

Old Apr 29, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Sure. I figured we were due for some DL forum-style “WFBF you cheapo” action. Someday it will be your ox being gored by the beancounters, but today it was mine.
Oh, mine took a hit too... I'm a big exit row guy, so when they start selling exit rows to the masses, that will definitely affect my ability to reliably snag my preferred Y seats
Old Apr 29, 2018, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ETA: If you currently fly on middle or high fares, this will not affect you one bit. For those flying on low end fares, this essentially becomes a new tax added to the cost of every ticket for seat assignment, entry into the upgrade lottery and flexibility. is that great? No. But it's even worse on AA, DL and UA (no carry on bag, etc.)
FYI, DL Basic Economy permits a carry-on (they also earn full MQM's, unlike AA/UA).
Old Apr 29, 2018, 1:46 pm

I really wish Alaska would stop the "race to the bottom".

I'm of the opinion that they should put up giant signs that say "We're more expensive - but you're worth it", and just charge $30 more per flight.
Include one bag, include changes to 60 days, include seat selection.
nsx likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
They could probably offer it as an add-on to BE fares and “have it both ways”. You can buy a package like that on NK or F9.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by CZBB
I really wish Alaska would stop the "race to the bottom".

I'm of the opinion that they should put up giant signs that say "We're more expensive - but you're worth it", and just charge $30 more per flight.
Include one bag, include changes to 60 days, include seat selection.
You realize that AS will not force you to buy a Basic Economy fare, right? You WILL have the option to pay more and get more.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
Basic Economy would evaporate overnight if the DOT mandated fare quotes to include a minimum luggage limit that matched TSA maximum per-person limits. E.g. a normal sized (not a cabin bag shrink ray sized) cabin bag and a personal item. Additionally, mandated seat selection--because it shouldn't be legal to force parents to pay extra to sit next to their kids.

There'd be no incentive in the marketplace to play these kinds of fare games if the product was standardized. The government does this in other markets, but for some reason, airlines are allowed to run a completely broken, totally bonkers market where there isn't any consistency in products and it's impossible to comparison shop.

Another option would be for a major GDS player--say, Expedia--to price all fares displayed with these items included, so the full package is what airlines were competing on. That way, airlines could play all the games they want, but if they're actually more expensive "all in" they won't falsely appear as the lowest fare anymore.

You realize that AS will not force you to buy a Basic Economy fare, right? You WILL have the option to pay more and get more.
JPat likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Well it would and so would the entire business model of Spirit, Allegiant, and Frontier. Not gonna happen.

The problem is that these airlines are pulling enough passengers that Alaska is feeling it.

Originally Posted by TProphet
Basic Economy would evaporate overnight if the DOT mandated fare quotes to include a minimum luggage limit that matched TSA maximum per-person limits. E.g. a normal sized (not a cabin bag shrink ray sized) cabin bag and a personal item. Additionally, mandated seat selection--because it shouldn't be legal to force parents to pay extra to sit next to their kids.

There'd be no incentive in the marketplace to play these kinds of fare games if the product was standardized. The government does this in other markets, but for some reason, airlines are allowed to run a completely broken, totally bonkers market where there isn't any consistency in products and it's impossible to comparison shop.

Another option would be for a major GDS player--say, Expedia--to price all fares displayed with these items included, so the full package is what airlines were competing on. That way, airlines could play all the games they want, but if they're actually more expensive "all in" they won't falsely appear as the lowest fare anymore.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: Nada of note these days….
Originally Posted by WebTraveler
Well it would and so would the entire business model of Spirit, Allegiant, and Frontier. Not gonna happen.

The problem is that these airlines are pulling enough passengers that Alaska is feeling it.
Ala carte pricing is the golden nugget for the airlines.
we’re doomed!
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Any booking done by me under my profile has *never* encountered a change fee or cancellation fee. so not sure if that's a glitch, or by design. (MVP Gold right now, was 75K for years though, and had the same effect).

I even cancelled a mileage booking made for a friend on the #VXFarewell and got a full refund. This was done the day OF the flight.
That's really interesting. I've been charged the change fee twice for my daughter(MVP) on the same reservation with me(75K). In both cases I made the change online and was charged $125 for her and nothing for me. Recently I had to change a reservation with a companion pass and I couldn't do it online, so I called and I was not charged a change fee. The first two times were not with a companion pass.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:39 pm

If you fly a lot of G/T/R fares then AS isn't going to mind losing you to "free agency"
I don't think this is true. If it was, Alaska would not sell G/T/R fares. Without the low fare buckets many planes would have a lot of empty seats especially on less popular days or times of year.
I fly a wide range of fares because I can book in advance but I am not flexible on the days. Sometimes I get R and sometimes I pay M. It is supply and demand but planes have the same number of seats no matter the demand so it's the fare that needs to change with the demand. Airlines can't really afford to lose the fare sensitive. That's what Basic Economy is about competing for those people.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 11:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Are you the one who scared Tim away?!?! I went to grab 3 of the Facebook 75K Group members and came back, he was gone. Not that KW wasn't a good source, but they wanted to talk to him about the same issues.

On a side note - I'm not sure anyone, except a few of us, knew that we had Alaska brass present on the flight and at the event!
I don't think so... he was quickly scooped by someone else.

Was fun to meet him. ^
Old Apr 29, 2018, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by wwongo
That's really interesting. I've been charged the change fee twice for my daughter(MVP) on the same reservation with me(75K). In both cases I made the change online and was charged $125 for her and nothing for me. Recently I had to change a reservation with a companion pass and I couldn't do it online, so I called and I was not charged a change fee. The first two times were not with a companion pass.
Gold and 75k members only get free cancellations /changes on companion tickets purchased with the members own miles. If the ticket is purchased with dollars the companions cancelation/change will not be free.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:17 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Dawgshouse
Gold and 75k members only get free cancellations /changes on companion tickets purchased with the members own miles. If the ticket is purchased with dollars the companions cancelation/change will not be free.

If it’s purchased with miles, it’s not s companion ticket. (Pretty sure the reference was to the credit card companion certificate discount, which only applies to cash fares.)

It is true that by the rules, the MVPG change fee waiver applies only to the MVPG them self (no matter how the ticket was paid for) and tickets purchased with the MVPG’s miles (no matter who is traveling, I believe).
Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by TProphet
Airlines have redefined what is extra and people seem happy to buy the product. Not just Spirit, Frontier, and Allegiant, but five years of Basic Economy fares on Delta and more recent roll-outs on AA and United. Not everybody needs a carry-on. Some people are happy to play seat lotto, accepting the risk of a center seat in the back. Parents pay extra for renting child seats at rental car agencies. (We hope) they pay for college tuition. Why is group seating at the lowest fare an entitlement?

While you're at it, why not demand the minimum product be G500s for everyone, with bath tubs full of Champagne?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.