Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS to Introduce "Saver Fares" (Basic Economy), End Fee Waivers and Add Fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS to Introduce "Saver Fares" (Basic Economy), End Fee Waivers and Add Fees

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Chugach
Lame.

I think the the clock is officially ticking down on Mileage Plan going revenue-based.
And minimum spend requirements for elite status. After all, why not go whole hog to be Me Too Airlines?
Buster, 2BGO and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
They are taking the pressure from Wall Street the wrong way which will only alienate people further. Why take on the worst aspects of the legacy carriers? Makes absolutely no sense as they are still a relatively small player. They may as well just redirect their website to southwest.com or another competitor as they clearly are out of ideas to compete. If they want to charge a fee for something to raise revenue, might I suggest a $5 hummus avoidance fee?
BearX220, 2BGO, jacobguo and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
will include the following restrictions:
  • Seats in rear of aircraft
To be honest, this looks like an implemention of basic economy that I would actually buy. I don't mind sitting in the back so long as I have an assigned seats.

Alaska may have figured out how to carve this out just right so that frequent flyers won't buy it but price-sensitive families will, and won't have a horrible experience .
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PDXpress
To be honest, this looks like an implemention of basic economy that I would actually buy. I don't mind sitting in the back so long as I have an assigned seats.

Alaska may have figured out how to carve this out just right so that frequent flyer won't buy it but price-sensitive families will, and won't have a horrible experience .
I am hoping that Alaska, if they actually follow through with this basic economy, will at least do it better than the legacy carriers.

Allow seat selection (but just in the back), earn redeemable miles/elite qualifying miles (but just at a lesser rate), and bring on a carry on.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
I'm feeling vindicated in my decision to status match to DL this summer.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
..."Alaska changes" is about as non-specific as you can get. Alaska changes what? My flights? Their rules? They changed their name to SkyHigh Airlines?...
So it will be like the 3 bears. This thread title is too general and the other one is too specific for a combined thread. Our very talented mods will come up with one that is just right.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold75k, WN A-List, AA, FI, DY, UA, Marriott Lifetime Silver, Hilton Diamond, Amtrak
This may do it for me too. I like Southwest and occasionally fly them when I'm not flying AS. Now, I may end up directing all of my revenue to Southwest (or occasionally Jet Blue). I don't care about sitting in the back that much, but because of the way my travel has changed over the last year, I HAVE to have the flexibility to change around my flights.

Two years ago I status-matched to AS from AA Platinum when AA went revenue-based with minimum spend requirement. As an MVP Gold, AS was even better than AA Platinum, but I should have known it was all too good to be true.

If AS screws their loyal customers, they really will lose out to Southwest and Jet Blue.

I wish some new airlines would come into the market.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by jinglish
I'm feeling vindicated in my decision to status match to DL this summer.
Considering that Delta already has a basic economy fare that is similar or slightly more restrictive, a comparatively mediocre and lower rated FF program with a spend requirement, and half the number of flights from Seattle, I'm not really sure why you would. It's all relative.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by FlyASaura
Considering that Delta already has a basic economy fare that is similar or slightly more restrictive, a comparatively mediocre and lower rated FF program with a spend requirement, and half the number of flights from Seattle, I'm not really sure why you would. It's all relative.
DL will at least give me 1 MQM per mile flown on international travel; I've been earning 50% EQMs or even less (30% on JL!) on cheap partner coach fares when crediting to AS. If I don't meet the spend requirement next year, I'll just go free agent anyway.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Chugach
Lame.

I think the the clock is officially ticking down on Mileage Plan going revenue-based.
this would not bother me as much as it used to
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold75k, WN A-List, AA, FI, DY, UA, Marriott Lifetime Silver, Hilton Diamond, Amtrak
Oops, well I take back what I said about Jet Blue. They are apparently also considering basic economy as well.

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...here-left-run/

AS travelers I guess will have to flock to Southwest as the last holdout of decency and honorable business practices.

Is part of the failure behind a lack of new start-up airlines due to the draconian regulatory environment of the federal government, or is there some other explanation? Maybe/hopefully Onejet will come to my city soon?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
I think we all need to calm down and take a Xanax here.
We don't know the full details yet.
Maybe the AS approach will be less sucky than the approaches that UA, DL, and AA have taken.
Or, if not, then guess what? They'll be ABOUT THE SAME.
While jumping to WN would work for some of you, for some of us, that isn't an option. And let's not even pretend that the WN product and the AS product are the same. I mean, WN doesn't even offer first class, with the new/improved selection of "all our meals are salads, but we're not going to call them that!" west-coast catering extravaganza!
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Legend717
We don't know the full details yet.
The details so far are bad enough (60 day non-elite change waiver gone, etc.) that I know a "no changes, no waivers, no favors" fare class that ends up being what AS uses on fare sales is going to push a good chunk of my business to WN pretty quickly. I looked through my currently booked tickets. R class (absolute lowest fare class) all over them.

And let's not even pretend that the WN product and the AS product are the same. I mean, WN doesn't even offer first class, with the new/improved selection of "all our meals are salads, but we're not going to call them that!" west-coast catering extravaganza!
On a two or three hour flight, first class is a nice to have, not an essential for me. A meal that can be replaced for $5-10 at the airport? Meh. Unlimited booze (and AS always seems to get rid of things I like such as Glenlivet, Woodford Reserve or Sun Liquor)? Meh. I end up driving when I get off the plane anyways a lot of the time, so more than a drink is not really going to happen. So it's the big seat. Do I want to pay to get into the upgrade lottery? Not really. If I want F I can buy F, but that's what the airline wants, isn't it?

But throwing away hundreds of dollars on non-changeable fares and being unable to take advantage of price breaks or to change plans post-purchase is a deal-breaker for me. Your mileage may vary. I've known this applies to my situation and have said it since Basic Economy crept onto the scene.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Apr 23, 2018 at 3:18 pm
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:14 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Good advice (certainly the former; the latter is at pilot's discretion).
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
But, if...regular AS economy is the same price as WN, I'd probably buy regular economy on AS and have a shot an upgrade.
Spoiler: it won’t be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.