Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS to Introduce "Saver Fares" (Basic Economy), End Fee Waivers and Add Fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS to Introduce "Saver Fares" (Basic Economy), End Fee Waivers and Add Fees

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: Gold 75K
As MVPG I fly about 3 round trips per month up and down the west coast. I don't even consider other carriers because I place a very high value on the change fee waiver. If the premium above BE is small, I'll stay with AS. But, if I have to pay a large premium to ensure the change fee waiver I'll likely shop around and end up on WN most of the time.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
I think a lot of people are going to feel the same way. I honestly haven't flown a lot of Delta recently (and have never been a DL elite) so I don't know -- is this par for the course on them now? As in, do even top tier elites have to buy up out of basic in order to:
a) have the privilege of changing your ticket
b) be eligible for an upgrade
and c) be able to assign a halfway decent seat?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
I honestly haven't flown a lot of Delta recently (and have never been a DL elite) so I don't know -- is this par for the course on them now? As in, do even top tier elites have to buy up out of basic in order to:
Correct. Although it's possible to wind up in C+ on an E ticket.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
I think a lot of people are going to feel the same way. I honestly haven't flown a lot of Delta recently (and have never been a DL elite) so I don't know -- is this par for the course on them now? As in, do even top tier elites have to buy up out of basic in order to:
Delta led the way on the basic economy, as far as I remember. (Or was it United? Either way, yes, they have those restrictions for top-tier elites on their basic economy fares.)
Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by jinglish
Correct. Although it's possible to wind up in C+ on an E ticket.
Interesting. Thanks very much for the context.

Is the C+ upgrade at the standard window, or at the gate only?
And what seats *can* a DL elite assign at time of purchase on an E ticket?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Interesting. Thanks very much for the context.

Is the C+ upgrade at the standard window, or at the gate only?
And what seats *can* a DL elite assign at time of purchase on an E ticket?
I can't speak much from experience--I only just status matched, and I don't have an E booking coming up until October. But you can't assign any seat at booking, and I've heard the way to get C+ is by checking in relatively late, not right at T-24--i.e., you're not officially being upgraded to C+, just placed there once all regular economy seats have been allocated.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:38 am

Wow. So they aren't playing around.

How prevalent are E fares on DL domestic flights? Are you paying to buy out of E on pretty much every route these days...?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Saver fares to be introduced in December, "We expect this to be in market by Christmas of this year if not sooner" per the latest earnings call.

http://investor.alaskaair.com/static...a-01b99ec7d2e7
Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:42 pm

Programs: AS
Concerning is the statement that they will start charging for exit rows , looks like beginning in December. Will they include MVP's? Probably, they keep kicking us in the teeth and wait to see if we are willing to come back for more.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:09 pm

I think the Dynamic Pricing coming to Premium Class may be what stops me flying AS. Since I no longer have status I always pay for it for the extra few inches. I’m already questioning the cost that has been increasing lately, the thought of paying even more makes the fare out of whack with other carriers. The write up in the Seattle Times makes it sound like lower pricing will be to get new users and someone like me who always buys it will end up paying more. Add this to the price increase from the upsell to get out of the Saver Fare and I’ll probably start price shopping other carriers rather than just automatically booking on AS.
RaginPlainsman likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by pcoll
Concerning is the statement that they will start charging for exit rows , looks like beginning in December. Will they include MVP's? Probably, they keep kicking us in the teeth and wait to see if we are willing to come back for more.
The bigger issue is that once they are for sale to everyone, they won't be available for AS' best customers who book closer in...
pbelmore likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
The bigger issue is that once they are for sale to everyone, they won't be available for AS' best customers who book closer in...
AS's best customers according to management are people willing to part with the most cash on any single booking. The more nickels and dimes collected the better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.