SFO Lounge Downgrade

Old Dec 14, 17, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold
SFO Lounge Downgrade

Starting January 1, Alaska Lounge members will no longer have access to the American Airlines Admirals Club® in San Francisco, Terminal 2. Due to our acquisition of Virgin America, usage has far exceeded expectations leading to overcrowding at peak times.

But there are still plenty of places to relax before takeoff.
  • Together with our global partners, you have access to over 90 airport lounges worldwide, and starting January 1, when traveling on Virgin America flights, you can visit any American Airlines Admirals Club® location (except at SFO) with your Alaska Lounge membership and same-day Alaska, Virgin America or American Airlines boarding pass.
  • You can still access the Cathay Lounge when traveling out of SFO’s International Terminal.
We’re working with the San Francisco Airport to identify a lounge space in Terminal 2, which will provide you an Alaska Lounge experience at SFO. More news to come on this exciting new lounge, and on further improvements to the portfolio.

Come on AS, you didn't anticipate this and you have no plan of action??
Old Dec 14, 17, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Air carrier lounge space is at a super-premium at crowded airports such as SFO. This is wishful thinking on the part of AS, unless it is prepared to dump mega-bucks into the project.

This is simply AA responding to HVC customer complaints about lounge over-crowding. These AS 'visits" are a nice chunk of change.
Old Dec 14, 17, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
I'd put this on the list of another Alaska "misfire" which is unfortunately a growing list. This should have been anticipated and planned for. You don't create a major new hub for your operations and along the way go from your own lounge to borrowed lounges to essentially no lounge (as more AS ops move to T2 the Cathay option becomes less relevant). It certainly makes me question my membership. It really seems that the current AS management just isn't keeping its eyes on the target. AS has lots of good will from years of solid customer orientation but they seem to be spending down that balance at a steady rate.
Old Dec 14, 17, 10:38 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by jsguyrus View Post
We’re working with the San Francisco Airport to identify a lounge space in Terminal 2, which will provide you an Alaska Lounge experience at SFO. More news to come on this exciting new lounge, and on further improvements to the portfolio.
Too bad they got rid of the old BR lounge space in the T1 renovation. Since this is Alaska we’re talking about, they’ll announce something this year and it’ll open in 10 years. Maybe by then there’ll be a permanent flight to Phoenix.

The only silver lining to this is T2 is pretty comfortable and has plenty of seating.
Crazy Dave likes this.
Old Dec 14, 17, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Sadly there seems to be a growing list of airports without lounge space and/or partners. SAN, JFK, BOS, MCO, BWI to name a few.
Old Dec 14, 17, 10:49 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, DL Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pdx1M View Post
AS has lots of good will from years of solid customer orientation but they seem to be spending down that balance at a steady rate.
So true. The customer service mindset that got AS to where it is today, and me as a customer, continues to decline, except for Virgin imports of course, and makes me regret that I just renewed my lounge membership. A shame.
Old Dec 14, 17, 10:51 am

I'm so happy I'm an Alaska lounge member. Now I get no lounge access at either end of my travels from JFK or SFO.
Old Dec 14, 17, 11:08 am

Programs: Gold 75K
Not sure I want to renew my lounge membership. I fly SEA to SFO every other week,almost every flight is from terminal 2, and no lounge? What options could they possibly be working on?
Old Dec 14, 17, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by bkojote View Post
I'm so happy I'm an Alaska lounge member. Now I get no lounge access at either end of my travels from JFK or SFO.
Although I've never minded not having a T2 lounge for my occasional VX flights, overall, this is a bad situation. I had considered reinstating an AL membership (due to T2 travels), but it makes absolutely no sense at this point, and it makes little sense to fly the SFO/JFK route on AS/VX. On the route, I last took DL (and will again on my next trip) and I get lovely lounges on both ends and a lie flat seat and excellent IFE, for less than the AS/VX fare Furthermore, the JFK T7 experience seems so luxurious that I don't think I could handle it. So, I don't expect that I will until things improve. I've taken B6 a couple of times from SFO, and there's the AF lounge via PP, and again, a lovely lie flat seat, superior IFE, and very good meals. If I fly AS out of OAK, I've got the new lounge I can use with AX. Part of my F experience on AS was included lounge access. It had me preferring SFO over OAK for certain flights. Once the SFO BR went away, there went that. It is a troublesome welcome for the VX flyers' welcome to AS, at the mothership of the VX operation. Please, please AS, don't blow it. There are many many loaded millennials here who will swipe you left faster than their next potential partner if you disappoint them.

Last edited by dayone; Dec 14, 17 at 2:35 pm Reason: Moderator edit for language.
Old Dec 14, 17, 11:24 am

Nice swing at OAK. No lounge and Q400 a few years ago, now lounge (for amex plat people) and easier upgrades vs no lounge and tougher upgrades at SFO.
Old Dec 14, 17, 11:28 am

Whats preventing Alaska from doing this in T2 at SFO?

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/10/aa-close-dfw-admirals-club-lounge/
Old Dec 14, 17, 11:37 am

Programs: MVPGold 75K
I have sent them upsetting Twitter message about all downgrades happening including lounge problem, air France, klm, aero Mexico, zero miles on domestic connection to international flights on aa. They said they opened a case with my concern so someone will say something. Unfortunatelly I am not sure what can they do. I fly 90 000 miles per year business mostly international and all domestic alaska so I observe how bad they are going to be soon. I am so sad to witness this
Old Dec 14, 17, 11:41 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Choice Diamond, Alaska 75K
And SFO is also a dark void for domestic flyers on Priority Pass. Not my favourite airport due to lack of lounge access.
Old Dec 14, 17, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
AS has scheduled a lounge to be built in SFO. Rumors are JFK is under construction for a lounge. Does anyone know if SFO is being built yet, or is AS waiting for more "terminal roulette" first before it starts?
Old Dec 14, 17, 11:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by davistev View Post
And SFO is also a dark void for domestic flyers on Priority Pass. Not my favourite airport due to lack of lounge access.
it will take an extra security hop, but there is a nice AX CL in SFO...one option.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: