Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines elevates First Class menu and experience, with a West Coast twist

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines elevates First Class menu and experience, with a West Coast twist

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: AS 75K, Delta Plat, AA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I notice woodford reserve is now absent from the spirit list. Boo
Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:43 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Lancer99
Uproar! Consternation! Dang it...
Old Mar 22, 2018, 1:04 am

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
No meals from Mexico?

Don't know if this belongs in the "What will AS be Serving in F" thread or here... I'm looking at trips to Mexico in May, and PVR/SJD/ZIH/MEX/ZLO-LAX/SAN all have "S" for meal service in F on the late afternoon/evening flights after 4 returning to the US. Flights leaving earlier all have Breakfast or Lunch. Is this right? Are they really only going to serve a snack on a 3-4 hour flight during dinner hours?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 1:12 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Three AS flights this week and I’m cautiously optimistic about this new service. FAs seem super happy about it too. Time will tell though. I’m sure the really high up folks at Angle Lake will find out and put the kibosh on it like they did a few years back.

Edit: Forgot to mention the FA said the menus are rotating every 90 days and all flights over 650 miles have a choice.

Last edited by tusphotog; Mar 22, 2018 at 1:39 am Reason: A little more info
Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
I fly SEA-DEN on the late evening (7:45 or 7:55 p.m.) and it is always coded for "Snack" when in reality the meal served is more like dinner. I would count on something more substantial than a snack.

Originally Posted by Tennen
Don't know if this belongs in the "What will AS be Serving in F" thread or here... I'm looking at trips to Mexico in May, and PVR/SJD/ZIH/MEX/ZLO-LAX/SAN all have "S" for meal service in F on the late afternoon/evening flights after 4 returning to the US. Flights leaving earlier all have Breakfast or Lunch. Is this right? Are they really only going to serve a snack on a 3-4 hour flight during dinner hours?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
This sounds like a bit of a downgrade to me as the redeye snack has been something more substantial like chicken skewers. The veggie plate looks fine for a 90-minute flight but not enough for a transcon.

Originally Posted by jiburi
PS: My red-eye from SEA to EWR was a veggie and hummus dip plate. Veggie plate had cucumber, carrots, and the small pita bread.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP, Delta Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Lancer99
I was really hoping they'd bring Glenfiddich over from VX.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Originally Posted by Kurt
I fly SEA-DEN on the late evening (7:45 or 7:55 p.m.) and it is always coded for "Snack" when in reality the meal served is more like dinner. I would count on something more substantial than a snack.
Thanks! That's good to know. It still seems really weird that they code those flights as "Snack" instead of "Dinner." Perhaps the recent changes will make them update it?
Old Mar 24, 2018, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Tennen
Thanks! That's good to know. It still seems really weird that they code those flights as "Snack" instead of "Dinner." Perhaps the recent changes will make them update it?
It is odd...AS been coding these dinner flights as "snack" flights for as long as I can remember.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 11:14 am

This seems to be the new catering on VX flights too.

(From JFK to SFO)

This was the mole braised beef, which was far better than any Alaska meal I’ve had prior, though a downgrade from the earlier Virgin meals I had on this route. While the flavor was really good, the quality of meat was a noticeable step down (like really gristly and fatty.) Hopefully it was just a one-off because if done right I’d really enjoy the dish.

A bit frustratingly, service was clearly bumped down to Alaska’s lower standards and the FA was friendly but seemed really confused by the new process. No dessert or snacks were offered for the 6 hour transcon flight (The menu said gelato but none ever made it) , the hot towels (you know, the things JetBlue gives you in economy) are gone, and of course no PDB whatsoever which COME ON, as long as these are paid upgrades you’d think they’d throw in.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by bkojote
A bit frustratingly, service was clearly bumped down to Alaska’s lower standards and the FA was friendly but seemed really confused by the new process. No dessert or snacks were offered for the 6 hour transcon flight (The menu said gelato but none ever made it) , the hot towels (you know, the things JetBlue gives you in economy) are gone, and of course no PDB whatsoever which COME ON, as long as these are paid upgrades you’d think they’d throw in.
It's been many years since Alaska has consistently offered PDBs and nothing on the horizon suggests they'll return to that practice anytime soon. If American Airlines could famously save $40,000.00 by removing a single olive from its salads a few years back, imagine how much Alaska saves by not offering PDBs system wide. (This is assuming of course that people aren't making up for lost time once the beverage service starts in earnest.)

I am curious though... what's to be confused about by the FA with the new stripped down service? You serve drinks, you serve the meal, badda boom, bada bing ... Also, it looks as if six hour flight notwithstanding, this meal was served all at once rather than course by course. All told, it sounds like I would do well to continue my practice of self-catering.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 1:29 pm

I don't think I "got it" before, but now that I live in SFO, it's hard to choose Alaska over the other transcon products. Even beyond the meals, you often have to pay more on AS for a worse premium cabin than DL or B6. Not to mention Alaska's frequencies and timings aren't particularly good on the transcon routes. I know it's often said that AS wants to be a west coast airline, but if they're going to continue flying BOS, JFK, etc, either cut the product back and win on price, or compete on the product. AS was more than happy to match me to MVPG when I got here, but they're like the 4th best option out of SFO even when factoring in the VX route network.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by bkojote
This seems to be the new catering on VX flights too.

(From JFK to SFO)

This was the mole braised beef, which was far better than any Alaska meal I’ve had prior, though a downgrade from the earlier Virgin meals I had on this route. While the flavor was really good, the quality of meat was a noticeable step down (like really gristly and fatty.) Hopefully it was just a one-off because if done right I’d really enjoy the d

AS would normally have hot towels before the meal service and dessert after the main meal. Not having those sounds like a catering error. Also, a snack basket later in the flight.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
AS could not in good conscience call the meal served in F yesterday from IAH-SEA "elevated." It was, in fact, dismal. Bone dry chicken breast that involved "lemongrass" in name only. They managed to include a pat of butter on the tray, though nothing to spread it on ever was offered or appeared. Beyond that, it took two FA's to dispense the meal with inexplicable 10+ minute lapses between each two meal trays going out. Meanwhile those seated in row 1 sat with finished (by all appearances, barely nibbled on) trays for 20-30 minutes. Again, this is with two FAs doing the service.. Add in an inop F lav and the whole experience was almost comedic. Thankfully, winds were fair, so the flight was well under four hours.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:12 pm

I haven’t had hot towels in F on Alaska since this year on any of my transcon flights with them.
Dessert and the lack of snacks were definitely an FA error, though he seemed perplexed when I asked. All in all it seems like either the flight was mis-catered or he was not informed. The lack of PDB’s is such a frustratingly cheap gesture on a seat that everyone paid a minimum of an additional $250 for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.