Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines elevates First Class menu and experience, with a West Coast twist

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines elevates First Class menu and experience, with a West Coast twist

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
Depends whether Bay Area-to-Seattle flights qualify. They are right on the threshold. When I used to fly SJC-SEA for years it posted as 696 miles.

The Mexican Street Fruit is sure to please those missing the much maligned Mexican fruit appetizer that used to grace First Class cabins...
Yeah, I was one of those that was hoping that fruit plate would go away and I thought it did....I can deal with the odd cucumber, but the red spice basically ruined any chance of eating this....it's pretty tough to ruin fruit....ugh. I thought they specifically said that everything would still be "individually plated" to allow for taste/dietary differences but from what I heard, the red spice is already on the fruit
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa
ANC redeyes to PDX/SEA currently get warmed nuts. Sounds like this may change...
If the warm nuts are going away in favor of humus, I'd rather have the warm nuts back....or at least rotate various snack plates....like maybe a spinach/artichoke dip or buffalo chicken dip with veggies and pita....or cold ham/cheese sliders.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: AS 75K, DL Diamond, former UA Plat, former AA Plat
Originally Posted by CBear

Sounds like pretty words to dress up a downgrade in food offerings.

This.

I think I've seen the new mini-humus plate.

Flew SEA-BOI AS 590 yesterday (Fri 16 Mar) on a 737 with 3 rows of F.

Snack was a micro plate containing:
  • a tiny portion of hummus. the container was maybe an inch on a side. Hummus was maybe a teaspoon or two.
  • 3 little pita rounds, maybe 2 inches in diameter
  • 2 cucumber sticks, both of which when put together were approximately 2/3 of a full slice
All in all, an underwhelming offering.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by beltphed
This.

• a tiny portion of hummus. the container was maybe an inch on a side. Hummus was maybe a teaspoon or two.
  • 2 cucumber sticks, both of which when put together were approximately 2/3 of a full slice
This has been the snack on SEA-YYC and SLC-PDX for at least a year. Just be glad you weren't on a QX Q400; your crew likely would have been sitting due to "weather."
Old Mar 17, 2018, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
All of these new offerings are well and good but if Alaska's not going to offer decently sized portions, it all seems like a waste of time.

Mind you, I'm not asking to be "Super-Sized" a la Mickey D's, but hey, if someone says they're having pizza for dinner and then presents you with only a single 2" wide slice, regardless of that pizza's quality it's going to be an unsatisfying meal. Same goes for Alaska and it's new meals. I hope AS understands that an important part of a "satisfying meal" is for it to actually be filling. If the above referenced "snack" is any indication, the degree of that understanding would appear to be debatable.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 17, 2018 at 2:32 pm
Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm a bit surprised that AS never rolled out free meals in Y on some of the longer routes like SEA-RDU....the fruit/cheese plate is free in Y on the competing DL flight.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I flew BOS-SEA yesterday.

The “amuse” was a smoothie. Tasty stuff. Breakfast included a frittata (don’t remember the ingredients, but better than the one on offer in Y), a bagel roll with butter, and fruit plate with yogurt. It was better than the previous F breakfast. Being new, they didn’t have the correct menus, resulting in the FA announcing to all. There was a second option for the entree, though the FA butchering of the description did not entice me to try. I think it was some sort of cereal bar thingie. They were specific in saying the coffee is Starbucks. Later in th flight they served the hummus plate described above. The serving size of hummus is a bit larger than 1” Square, but not by much. It was sufficient.

All in all, the new offering is an improvement.

The new comforters are in sealed plastic and sitting on the seat at boarding. Funny thing was that the bins were still full of the old blankets, also sealed. Didn’t open and cannot comment on quality.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
This.

I think AS should just switch to a snack basket on flights like this. While mostly junk food, it’s got more variety and would be sufficient for a one-ish hour flight. Maybe they perceive the hummus as fresh or superior or “West Coast” or maybe it’s cheaper (though I doubt it).
Old Mar 17, 2018, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by mbluecpa

I think AS should just switch to a snack basket on flights like this. While mostly junk food, it’s got more variety and would be sufficient for a one-ish hour flight. Maybe they perceive the hummus as fresh or superior or “West Coast” or maybe it’s cheaper (though I doubt it).
I can't believe it's come to this.

We are now accepting the fact that a small packet of potato chips and a granola bar is a sufficient meal on a one hour flight in Domestic First.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by SOCguy
SEA-SFO is 679.
Originally Posted by channa
OAK-SEA is 672. Just under.

SMF-SEA is definitely out as well.
When I saw 675, I immediately assumed that this was to split SFO (where they are trying to keep VX customers and compete with DL/UA) and OAK (where they are trying to compete with WN). If not, why 675? It's a weird number. both 650 and 700 feel more natural. Or they could have separated by block time. 2hrs or 90min. All of these easier-to-remember cutoffs would have grouped the entire Bay Area together. (Along with SMF, for all except 650 miles.) So this seems pretty deliberate to me.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food

I flew BOS-SEA yesterday.

The “amuse” was a smoothie. Tasty stuff. Breakfast included a frittata (don’t remember the ingredients, but better than the one on offer in Y), a bagel roll with butter, and fruit plate with yogurt. It was better than the previous F breakfast. Being new, they didn’t have the correct menus, resulting in the FA announcing to all. There was a second option for the entree, though the FA butchering of the description did not entice me to try. I think it was some sort of cereal bar thingie. They were specific in saying the coffee is Starbucks. Later in th flight they served the hummus plate described above. The serving size of hummus is a bit larger than 1” Square, but not by much. It was sufficient.

All in all, the new offering is an improvement.

The new comforters are in sealed plastic and sitting on the seat at boarding. Funny thing was that the bins were still full of the old blankets, also sealed. Didn’t open and cannot comment on quality.
Is the humus plate in place of the usual snack basket that gets passed around during the last hour or so? I hope not.....I'd much rather have a snack or two from the basket than the humus plate.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Re. I think AS should just switch to a snack basket on flights like this. While mostly junk food, it’s got more variety and would be sufficient for a one-ish hour flight. Maybe they perceive the hummus as fresh or superior or “West Coast” or maybe it’s cheaper (though I doubt it).

Originally Posted by CBear
I can't believe it's come to this. We are now accepting the fact that a small packet of potato chips and a granola bar is a sufficient meal on a one hour flight in Domestic First.
Some people are. Years ago that wouldn't have been the case but these are changing times we're living in. These days, most Americans under the age of 40 have never experienced a quality domestic First Class meal service on par with what we used to get back in the 70s and 80s. As such, they're satisfied with much less if only because on the whole they don't know any better. Mind you, that's hardly their fault. It's just the times they grew up in. And for those of us that do remember how good it used to be - so what? It's not like the airlines'll ever go back - even halfway back. It's also important to note that fares were higher back then and if you wanted to fly up front, you actually had to pay for it. This was in the days before FFPs and so there were no upgrades. These days, most of us get what we pay for. Even so, inflight catering has fallen a long, long way - probably farther than the discounted fares merit.

And lastly, more in the interests of a fun break (from reality) than anything else, here's a glimpse of how it used to be. Imagine yourself settling into a deep red, well padded First Class seat and enjoying Western's Pacific Northerner service between Seattle and Anchorage back in 1976 (Aircraft on this route were 727-200 and a DC-10). Quite a far cry from what passes as "First Class" today...

W E S T E R N . A I R L I N E S
The Only Way To Fly!

Seattle to Anchorage

The Pacific Northerner

DINNER

To Begin

Specialties of the North
An intriguing assortment of appetizers featuring reindeer sausage, stuffed eggs and other condiments

And then. . .

Fairbanks Salad
Crisp mixed greens highlighted by croutons, Parmesan cheese and garbanzzo beans. Served with our own herb dressing.

From the “Chef’s skillet” . . .

Your choice of

New York Steak
A generous portion, charbroiled to perfection, and served with seasoned butter

or

Kodiak King Crab Legs
Served with lemon and rich, melted butter

Both entrees are served with an array of uniquely prepared vegetables designed to complement your meal.

For dessert. . .

”Chef’s Selection”
We bring you an ever changing variety from the most popular desserts in Western’s World

And then relax with Western’s famous. . .

Klondike Coffee
Our own creation combining “Yukon Jack” liqueur, blended black coffee, and a generous portion of whipped cream and garnish. Try it and you’ll agree, coffee never tasted so good.

The following menu was in the seat pocket in front of me on the above detailed flight. So, I imagine this was from Western’s luncheon service between Anchorage and Seattle.

Anchorage to Seattle

The Pacific Northerner

LUNCHEON

To Begin

Alaskan Snow Crab Claws
From the chilly waters of Alaska, we offer this succulent delicacy with lemon and a unique, tangy cocktail sauce

And then. . .

Matanuska Valley Salad
The heart of Romaine lettuce complimented by thinly sliced heart of palm, parsley and pimento, served with a gently spiced oil and vinegar dressing

From the “Chef’s skillet” . . .

Your choice of

Filet Mignon
A generous portion of Filet, charbroiled to perfection, and served with a special herb butter

or

Veal Kodiak
Alaska’s own rendition of a classic dish that first introduced King Crab to veal. This delicious combination is crowned with spears of asparagus and then smothered in cheese and Hollandaise Sauce

Both entrees are served with an array of uniquely prepared vegetables designed to complement your meal.

For dessert. . .

”Chef’s Selection”
We bring you an ever changing variety from the most popular desserts in Western’s World

And then relax with Western’s famous. . .

Klondike Coffee
Our own creation combining “Yukon Jack” liqueur, blended black coffee, and a generous portion of whipped cream and garnish. Try it and you’ll agree, coffee never tasted so good.

Moderators: Please feel free to remove this post as it may result in depression amongst some readers

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 18, 2018 at 1:29 am
Old Mar 18, 2018, 1:08 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
These days, most Americans under the age of 40 have never experienced a quality domestic First Class meal service on par with what we used to get back in the 70s and 80s. As such, they're satisfied with much less if only because on the whole they don't know any better. Mind you, that's hardly their fault. It's just the times they grew up in. And for those of us that do remember how good it used to be - so what? It's not like the airlines'll ever go back - even halfway back.
Do you also remember the cost of airfare back then? If the Civil Aeronautics Board were still keeping prices high, there's no way I would've been able to fly enough to qualify for MVP when I was 23. I'll accept worse food, thanks.
Mauibaby2008 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good point - one that I was adding while you were probably typing your response. And I agree - most of us would trade out those meals of old for cheaper fares in a New York minute. As for me, I self cater about half the time these days. Still, I look forward to checking out Alaska's new offerings on five or six flights I've got booked next month. The problem is those flights'll be on either side of First Class trans-pac flights aboard Cathay Pacific and Japan Airlines.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 18, 2018 at 1:25 am
Old Mar 18, 2018, 2:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Good point - one that I was adding while you were probably typing your response. And I agree - most of us would trade out those meals of old for cheaper fares in a New York minute. As for me, I self cater about half the time these days. Still, I look forward to checking out Alaska's new offerings on five or six flights I've got booked next month. The problem is those flights'll be on either side of First Class trans-pac flights aboard Cathay Pacific and Japan Airlines.
Sounds like my adventures ^ CX over JL back. Pointy end.

Yeah, connecting back to AS will be a let down

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.