Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines elevates First Class menu and experience, with a West Coast twist

Alaska Airlines elevates First Class menu and experience, with a West Coast twist

Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:15 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond

https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2018-03-16-So-fresh-Alaska-Airlines-elevates-First-Class-menu-and-experience-with-a-West-Coast-twist-upgrade

A flavorful new First Class menu will start flying this week, while new thoughtful product extras will be introduced throughout 2018. The new menu features fresh, local ingredients paired with seasonal favorites. Think strawberry-lime smoothie shots, an avocado bacon omelet, or a flank steak salad with green papaya, mint and lime wedges. All menus will have a vegetarian option available.
In addition to meal changes, there will be "thoughtful product extras" like "a cozy quilted throw and entertainment tablet on longer flights" and "one-of-a-kind Schnwald serving pieces inspired by Virgin America".

Oh. And new seats:

Custom seats and interiors. Recline and relax with a footrest, tablet holder, increased cushioning and thoughtful new design details. Refreshed cabin interiors will debut this fall with nearly half the mainline fleet retrofitted by the end of 2019.
No mention of lay flats.

Neil

Last edited by missamo80; Mar 16, 2018 at 11:51 am
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
New and different can sometimes be a good thing. Excites to see this roll out.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
i have a crafting friend whose husband is working on the menu integration/updates, I think she'll be happy to hear my say something positive about the food instead of some of the stuff she is probably tired of hearing me say. Then again, not everyone is stuck eating overcooked lima beans in pistachio pesto on a three week rotation and find it already appealing.
Emeraldcity and missamo80 like this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: AS, SQ, SPG, IHG
I am actually the most excited about the quilted throw. Im probably quite strange and felt that the VX blanket was the best thing about flying their F product transcon, and even the buy on board Nap Pack in Y was worth the purchase on one IAD-SFO.
missamo80 and rustykettel like this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
MOAR POLENTA

Seat 2A and tusphotog like this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
All menus will have a vegetarian option available.
^
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Guess this explains why we've seen so much unbranded glassware floating around.

Unbranded glassware in F?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Anyone getting an error thrown visiting the site on Chrome?

Your connection is not private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from investor.alaskaair.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). Learn more

NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID
This one works fine, though:

https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2018-...-twist-upgrade
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
I like the dishware and blanket upgrades. Hopefully it's as good as the VX duvet. Not impressed by the trendy smoothie shots. If quiche is gone, I guess the first picture is now a frittata. Also interesting is the new 675 mile cutoff for meals. That cuts SFO-PDX.

I wonder what percentage of refurbed VX cabins are part of the half of the mainline fleet by the end of 2019 number. I assume those will already be a priority for harmonizing with the rest of the fleet. Could mean as little as a 1/3 of the 737 fleet get new seats if all of the VX fleet get new seats.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
This does look nice:
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:51 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Anyone getting an error thrown visiting the site on Chrome?

This one works fine, though:

https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2018-...-twist-upgrade
Weird. I updated the post with the updated link, thanks.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:05 pm

Still mum on SFO lounge
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by rustykettel
If quiche is gone, I guess the first picture is now a frittata.
Its egg pie! Tim says: EGG PIE FOR DAYS!

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Also interesting is the new 675 mile cutoff for meals. That cuts SFO-PDX.
And I believe SEA-SFO. Definitely looking forward to trying this out. Interesting seeing something from the insight surveys actually come to fruition (pun intended) too.

No mention of a PDX lounge refresh though.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Still mum on SFO lounge
The press release speaks of reimagined lounges, not imagined lounges.

♫Imagine there's no lounge there, it's easy if you try. No pancake machine there, for coffee there's a line ... ♫
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by missamo80
https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2018-03-16-So-fresh-Alaska-Airlines-elevates-First-Class-menu-and-experience-with-a-West-Coast-twist-upgrade

In addition to meal changes, there will be "thoughtful product extras" like "a cozy quilted throw and entertainment tablet on longer flights" and "one-of-a-kind Schnwald serving pieces inspired by Virgin America".

Oh. And new seats:

No mention of lay flats.

Neil
Since the tablets are sticking around, it's at least nice to see tablet holders in the seats.

I like that AS has PacNW treats (like Tim's chips, Tillamook cheese grits, and once upon a time an amazing Crater Lake Hazelnut Espresso Vodka), so bringing in more regional things from the West is cool.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.