Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines elevates First Class menu and experience, with a West Coast twist

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines elevates First Class menu and experience, with a West Coast twist

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
BWI SEA F selections

Flew BWI to SEA on 3/18 and were offered these two choices:
MOLE BRAISED BEEF: Tender braised beef shoulder with traditional mole sauce. Served with a savory corn flour pancake, jicama-pineapple slaw, and lime-cilantro crema; garnished with grated Cottija cheese.

FARRO FAVA BEAN PILAF: Farroand orzo pasta cooked with herbs and aromatics in a savory broth. Served with grilled asparagus, fava beans, green peas, sauteed rainbow chard, roasted tomatoes, and toasted pine nuts. Accompanied by a sumac and lemon yogurt sauce on the side.

Service also included a warm mixed nuts, small salad, and a bourbon vanilla ice cream dessert.

Jiburi

PS: My red-eye from SEA to EWR was a veggie and hummus dip plate. Veggie plate had cucumber, carrots, and the small pita bread.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
So, what I'm seeing looks like a SIGNIFICANT step up.
BTW, who in their right mind wants to know what brand of crystal an airline is using for mayonnaise???
Old Mar 19, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP, Delta Gold, AA Gold
It's a move in the right direction. AS knows they're in trouble with the SF market. The SF Biz Journal story included this quote:

The new menu, which will always include a vegetarian option, included a lot of input from Bay Area travelers, Brett Catlin, managing director of guest products, told the San Francisco Business Times.

Alaska (NYSE: ALK), led by CEO Brad Tilden, is eager to keep Virgin America fans on board once it is integrated into the Seattle-based carrier, but that won’t be easy. Loyal Virgin America first-class passengers are already lamenting the eventual loss of that carrier’s very generous seating and other amenities and ambience for which the carrier is known. Some San Francisco travelers say they have already noticed first-class service on Virgin America deteriorating.

So loyal are Virgin America flyers that a gate agent recently had to reassure that airline’s travelers who were surprised to see an Alaska plane at the end of the boarding ramp: “Don’t worry. The plane is painted Alaska Airlines but inside it’s Virgin America.”
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by socalgecko
It's a move in the right direction. AS knows they're in trouble with the SF market. The SF Biz Journal story included this quote:
I hope AS is wiling to consider retaining more of the VX inflight amenities. They must know they are playing to a hostile crowd in SFO who is on edge about any changes to the VX product. I fear that as soon as AS starts ripping out the better padded seats and seatback IFE screens on the Airbus fleet, there will be a litany of defections to B6 and DL. Bay Area travelers are a savvy crowd and can see beyond marketing BS and window dressing.

The article mentions "loss of very generous seating," which I assume refers to 55" F seats. As others have mentioned, these F seats really weren't competitive in any market segment since they aren't lie flat, and also aren't open to comp upgrades. I do think fliers will be able to get on board with instead having 50% more F seats with 41" pitch and a chance of a complimentary upgrade.

Last edited by sltlyamusd; Mar 19, 2018 at 2:14 pm
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
I hope AS is wiling to consider retaining more of the VX inflight amenities. They must know they are playing to a hostile crowd in SFO who is on edge about any changes to the VX product. I fear that as soon as AS starts ripping out the better padded seats and seatback IFE screens on the Airbus fleet, there will be a litany of defections to B6 and DL. Bay Area travelers are a savvy crowd and can see beyond marketing BS and window dressing.
"Retaining more of the VX inflight amenties" is problematic because AS wants to swap in 737s on transcon routes (a 16 F/24 Y+/138 Y plane on a number of transcon routes makes more sense than a 8 F/12 Y+/126 Y plane, or even a 12 F/18 Y+/120 Y plane- those extra 24 seats likely make AS considerable money for 1x/2x transcon routes if they get filled, at not a lot extra cost). So "retaining more of the VX inflight amenties" means adding on IFE and changing the AS fleet at significant expense (not to mention that AS has to get FAA certified for the mod, etc., so we'd be talking a pretty long time).
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
"Retaining more of the VX inflight amenties" is problematic because AS wants to swap in 737s on transcon routes (a 16 F/24 Y+/138 Y plane on a number of transcon routes makes more sense than a 8 F/12 Y+/126 Y plane, or even a 12 F/18 Y+/126 Y plane). So "retaining more of the VX inflight amenties" means adding on IFE and changing the AS fleet at significant expense.
Exactly, they have gone too far down the road and should not be raising expectations which can't be met. They have already taken out much of the entertainment content. The VX plane interiors need an update regardless, so it is not as if they can just keep things as is when they are half way through the dismantling. The only way AS will change course is if they see a significant revenue hit and they have no other option but to improve the hard product to try to gain back customers. Otherwise, prepare to fly the AS offering to avoid disappointment.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by beltphed
This.

I think I've seen the new mini-humus plate.

Flew SEA-BOI AS 590 yesterday (Fri 16 Mar) on a 737 with 3 rows of F.

Snack was a micro plate containing:
  • a tiny portion of hummus. the container was maybe an inch on a side. Hummus was maybe a teaspoon or two.
  • 3 little pita rounds, maybe 2 inches in diameter
  • 2 cucumber sticks, both of which when put together were approximately 2/3 of a full slice
All in all, an underwhelming offering.
I think I had this a couple weeks ago on SEA-SFO with my wife. My expectations on a short hop like that are low but I came away thinking this was a nice snack and a nice change of pace. I don't know if I would feel the same eating it every other week though.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by NWAlaskaFlyer
I think I had this a couple weeks ago on SEA-SFO with my wife. My expectations on a short hop like that are low but I came away thinking this was a nice snack and a nice change of pace. I don't know if I would feel the same eating it every other week though.
Minus the suboptimal micro-pita, which was quite dry and stale, I could eat this every day of the week. But that’s based on my personal preferences. The non-hummus-loving population may think otherwise.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by mbluecpa

I think AS should just switch to a snack basket on flights like this. While mostly junk food, it’s got more variety and would be sufficient for a one-ish hour flight. Maybe they perceive the hummus as fresh or superior or “West Coast” or maybe it’s cheaper (though I doubt it).
Agree, on a 90 minute flight, I rarely need more than the snack basket can provide. I'd also surmise that the snack basket is more amenable to more regular rotation of items since the shelf life on all the packaged stuff is nearly infinite. I would love to see a better variety of fresh fruit in the basket...oranges, apples, pears, in addition to the seemingly ubiquitous bananas.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Agree, on a 90 minute flight, I rarely need more than the snack basket can provide. I'd also surmise that the snack basket is more amenable to more regular rotation of items since the shelf life on all the packaged stuff is nearly infinite. I would love to see a better variety of fresh fruit in the basket...oranges, apples, pears, in addition to the seemingly ubiquitous bananas.
Several years back, there was an outrage when snack baskets (which had a nice variety of not mainstream big name brands) were introduced as the only snacks on the shorter hops.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 7:39 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Here's the link to Alaska's new non-press-release page about the changes: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...ce/first-class
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
"We’ve filled our new First Class menu with a whole range of refreshing, bright flavors inspired by the West Coast food scene."

Can't help but wonder - what's the East Coast food scene like by comparison? Pizza and beer?
tstauck likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
"We’ve filled our new First Class menu with a whole range of refreshing, bright flavors inspired by the West Coast food scene."

Can't help but wonder - what's the East Coast food scene like by comparison? Pizza and beer?
Or for that matter...what about the "mid-west scene"....?? Frankly, I'd be ok with some chicken fried chicken, cheesy hash brown casserole, and green beans with bacon
BobNed likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
cheesy hash brown casserole
Will be "hotdish" on MSP flights.
eponymous_coward and DrAlex like this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
Was there a salad as well? Overall, the three reports so far (short flight, midcon and transcon) definitely make this sound like a true upgrade.
Yes, a nice starter salad with olive oil/balsamic mix dressing that came in a small glass bottle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.