Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by CDKing
If you are not already on a F award level, fee applies (unless gold).
Really? I have F award on cx and they said $125 to change... Can status match to 75k I guess.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by kar don
Really? I have F award on cx and they said $125 to change... Can status match to 75k I guess.
He means if you booked J and want to change to F while keeping the same flights, a fee applies. If you want to change your F award flights inside of 60 days, a fee will also apply.

FWIW, the AA Plat status you mention in your profile matches to MVPG, not 75K.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Oct 17, 2017 at 2:08 pm
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
FWIW, the AA Plat status you mention in your profile matches to MVPG, not 75K.
Yes thanks for the help been a while since I updated that, I have SW Companion pass too which I would use.^
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:09 am

Success!

Booked F for me HKG-LAX next September (331 days out). Booked J for my fiancé. AS agent told me to call again closer to departure to see if more F award opens up for upgrade. We did a "test" and the agent looked at HKG-LAX F availability the next week and saw lots of open space (1-2 F spots) on multiple flights. Who knows what the situation will be next Fall, but I'm getting excited!

this will be my first CX F flight.

edit: total for me was 70,000 miles and about $85 in fees. Fiancé was 50,000 miles and about $85 in fees as well.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: Delta, Alaska Air, & BA
Originally Posted by Winterfell86
Booked F for me HKG-LAX next September (331 days out). Booked J for my fiancé. AS agent told me to call again closer to departure to see if more F award opens up for upgrade. We did a "test" and the agent looked at HKG-LAX F availability the next week and saw lots of open space (1-2 F spots) on multiple flights. Who knows what the situation will be next Fall, but I'm getting excited!

this will be my first CX F flight.

edit: total for me was 70,000 miles and about $85 in fees. Fiancé was 50,000 miles and about $85 in fees as well.
I am in same situation for our November flights LAX - HKG. I am going to start calling 2 weeks ahead of departure.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 8:57 am

Still confused - can I stop over in HKG for Intra Asia

Going from SIN to PEK via HkG. If I stop over in HKG for a few days, do I need 1 award or 2 awards?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bronco29
Going from SIN to PEK via HkG. If I stop over in HKG for a few days, do I need 1 award or 2 awards?
Read the FAQ in the wiki at the page.

No stopover on intra-regional awards, example Asia to Asia.
Last I checked Singapore and Beijing are in Asia, so that's Asia to Asia... no stopover. If you want to break for a few days it's two awards.

Hope that's clear. Common question in this thread, along with "can I get a stopover going Australia/Europe to (not HKG)". Answer is no. The only awards that get stopovers in HKG are the ones that touch North America.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Oct 20, 2017 at 11:51 am
Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Read the FAQ in the wiki at the page.

Last I checked Singapore and Beijing are in Asia, so that's Asia to Asia... no stopover. If you want to break for a few days it's two awards.

Hope that's clear. Common question in this thread, along with "can I get a stopover going Australia/Europe to (not HKG)". Answer is no. The only awards that get stopovers in HKG are the ones that touch North America.
I dont understand WHY people dont bother to read the Wiki before posting a question. Is it too much to ask people to spend a few minutes to read before posting the stopover rule questions gazillion times when the answer is in the Wiki? The Wiki is there for good reasons.

For that matter, the AS Charts themselves also are quite self-explanatory despite the interactive maps are somewhat misleading, the charts themselves are very clear with their wordings. I cannot see how people would still be confused.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 1:27 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I have already booked award tickets from SFO-DXB on EK in J first few days of January with a 26 day stopover before heading down to JNB. During the stopover I secured two F apartments on EY from AUH-SYD. QF Domestic F will get us to DRW (Darwin). I have been looking at options to get from JNB back to North America and looking for award space on CX.

Last night I found J availability for 2 on CX from JNB-HKG mid February, a 3 day stopover and then HKG-BOS on Qantas' website.

Today I called Alaska hoping they could see the availability. I provided the exact dates, times and flight numbers and Alaska could see the availability and it matched that shown on Qantas. Within 10 minutes they were secured. After a brief hold the Agent (Carly from Boise, charming and efficient) provided me with both the AS & CX record locators and a follow up email.

From the Cathay Pacific app I was able to select my seats. Total fees & taxes was ~$95 + $12.50 partner booking fee and 62500 miles. We will watch for F availability closer in on the HKG-BOS leg (no F cabin JNB-HKG) At 28 hours of flying that is about $4 & 2232 Mileage Plan miles per hour. lol We both achieved MVPG75K this last weekend so the 50,000 bonus miles made it even sweeter. 😁

First attempted CX booking, one success, zero fails. 😁 We have flown EK in F LAX-DXB//DXB-FCO (before devaluation). Excited to try EY F apartment and fly in one direction to get back home. The plan from DRW is to fly to DPS//SIN//DXB to catch our onward flight to JNB. It would be nice if we could start booking SQ awards soon.

We are working our way around the world to see friends we have made from prior travels.

Cheers
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:51 am

I'm new to the Alaska Mileage Plan so I'm hoping I can get some feedback from some experienced plan members. I'm planning for a trip to either Australia or New Zealand around May or June in 2019 and I would like to know which route would be easier to redeem J tickets.

These are the routes I'm considering:
YYZ-HKG-SYD/AKL
JFK-HKG-SYD/AKL
EWR-HKG-SYD/AKL
ORD-HKG-SYD/AKL

I'm from Toronto so the first route would be the easiest for me but I'm open to fly to New York or Chicago if it is easier to redeem J tickets.

I would really appreciate it if someone can let me know which route has the highest availability for J seats. Thank you.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gtamaster
I'm new to the Alaska Mileage Plan so I'm hoping I can get some feedback from some experienced plan members. I'm planning for a trip to either Australia or New Zealand around May or June in 2019 and I would like to know which route would be easier to redeem J tickets.

YYZ-HKG-SYD/AKL
JFK-HKG-SYD/AKL
EWR-HKG-SYD/AKL
ORD-HKG-SYD/AKL

I'm from Toronto so the first route would be the easiest for me but I'm open to fly to New York or Chicago if it is easier to redeem J tickets.

I would really appreciate it if someone can let me know which route has the highest availability for J seats. Thank you.
Earliest you can book is T-331 days so you won't be able to book awards until June or July 2018 for travel in May or June 2019. Usually there is award space available when the award booking window opens and then tight until ~T-14 days for CX premium class. You will be flying into Southern Hemisphere late fall, winter so competition may be less for awards for your chosen dates while awards for the return to Northern Hemisphere summer, early fall may be more challenging. Don't forget you can do a stopover in HKG and also consider BOS. You best bet is to secure NA-HKG when the booking window opens and then add onward travel and returns as those booking windows open.

You can use Qantas' website to view availability a month at time and give Alaska the specific flights and times when you call in. CX cannot be booked online.

James
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gtamaster

YYZ-HKG-SYD/AKL
JFK-HKG-SYD/AKL
EWR-HKG-SYD/AKL
ORD-HKG-SYD/AKL

JFK has three daily flights. The others you mention have one. QED they will have the most award seats. You probably should also consider positioning to LAX or SFO as opposed to just East Coast cities as they also have multiple daily flights instead of one.

My understanding from the CX board is YYZ is one of the toughest gets in the system for premium cabin award availability, so be prepared to spend some cash for positioning flights.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 2:58 pm

Hi -

EWR/BOS/YYZ are tough to get award seats. Not impossible, but tough.

ORD is the easiest of the 1 fight/day departure cities.

If you are going from JFK, remember that CX 888/889 has the stop in YVR.

YVR has 2x/day, both flights tough to get, more often last-minute availability on the afternoon flight to HKG.

SFO easier than YVR, but tougher than LAX as noted in the earlier post.

Easiest LAX flight is usually the morning flight, but you have to leave the east coast the night before and stay in a LAX hotel to catch it.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
I dont understand WHY people dont bother to read the Wiki before posting a question. Is it too much to ask people to spend a few minutes to read before posting the stopover rule questions gazillion times when the answer is in the Wiki? The Wiki is there for good reasons.

For that matter, the AS Charts themselves also are quite self-explanatory despite the interactive maps are somewhat misleading, the charts themselves are very clear with their wordings. I cannot see how people would still be confused.
I did say I am confused in my subject line and I had read the wiki a few times before posting the questions. I felt sick that someone would post such nasty reply. If you don't want to reply thinking my question is not worthy for the answer, perhaps best is not to say anything. And just because it's clear as day to you, doesn't mean others do not have a problem, especially trying to read hastily through a small hand held device on the plane. I am sorry to post the question but do not feel your response is warrant.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bronco29
I did say I am confused in my subject line and I had read the wiki a few times before posting the questions. I felt sick that someone would post such nasty reply. If you don't want to reply thinking my question is not worthy for the answer, perhaps best is not to say anything. And just because it's clear as day to you, doesn't mean others do not have a problem, especially trying to read hastily through a small hand held device on the plane. I am sorry to post the question but do not feel your response is warrant.
Your post said nothing about reading the Wiki, and we aren't mindreaders. The point that Happy was trying to make is that it is extremely tiring to constantly have to spoonfeed information to new users that don't spend even a few minutes doing research. You're trying to get business/first class flights that cost tens of thousands of dollars at a very steep discount - the very least you can do is do your due diligence before asking others to do it for you.

To be totally honest, your question was fairly straightforward and could have been figured out on your own with 2-5 minutes of searching.

This is a welcoming, friendly community, but you get what you give.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.