Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:47 am
Suspended

Just scored ORD-HKG-MNL. 5 night stopover in HKG. 70k for F.

Thrilled!!!! Thanks Alaska.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold
one seat or two? short notice or towards end of schedule? thanks
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by drewdawg199
one seat or two? short notice or towards end of schedule? thanks
1 seat, middle Feb 2019
Old Apr 24, 2018, 12:02 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by umbrellakid
1 seat, middle Feb 2019
Booking that far out it’s easy to find CX F itineraries if you’re flexible and can leave out of any airport. I really hope CX First Class doesn’t continue its downward spiral, and watered down feel. The old days CX F actually felt like an exclusive experience, but my last months experience, coupled with others expressing similar views, I hope it will continue being a highly prized and special award redemption. The new PanAm “wow” first class is definitely EK imho.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
Cathay First is nice, but business class on other airlines has gotten so good that it's not head and shoulders above anymore. The new Qatar business class is arguably better than Cathay First.
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by TProphet
Cathay First is nice, but business class on other airlines has gotten so good that it's not head and shoulders above anymore. The new Qatar business class is arguably better than Cathay First.
My family feels the same. Pajamas, dine on demand, better food...but not CX’s exclusivity. QR is good value. But the DOH J lounge wasn’t anything all that special.
golfingboy likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Has anyone had recent success booking Australia tickets in J? Not finding much availability at all for 300+ days out (March 2019), and on the rare HKG-BNE flight that has two seats open in J per BA, agent couldn't find even one seat available. Bad agent or known problem?
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:03 pm
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Originally Posted by steveholt
Has anyone had recent success booking Australia tickets in J? Not finding much availability at all for 300+ days out (March 2019), and on the rare HKG-BNE flight that has two seats open in J per BA, agent couldn't find even one seat available. Bad agent or known problem?
I booked a couple J ticket returning on CX a couple days ago ADL-HKG-SFO. I did run into the same issue you did where I saw availability through Qantas that the Alaska rep wasn't able to see. Seems to be a known issue where some of the award space doesn't come available to AS.
steveholt likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:09 pm

Both BA & QF are known to show phantom availability on CX.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:20 pm
Community Director Emerita

Have you tried every gateway city? I had success with CNS when none of the more obvious ones had space.
steveholt likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Have you tried every gateway city? I had success with CNS when none of the more obvious ones had space.
I found no space for weeks on end on SYD and MEL. Found a couple of days with two seats on the BNE route and that didn't work. Will try CNS and ADL, thanks!
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:55 am

I found no space for weeks on end on SYD and MEL. Found a couple of days with two seats on the BNE route and that didn't work. Will try CNS and ADL, thanks!
I just booked a BOS-HKG(F)-CNS(PE, no J seats left on date I wanted in August)
Old Apr 29, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Pretty interesting, as this is the first time I've personally seen it happen (though it's been reported here before, I believe). Looking at a JFK-HKG flight 2 months out. Flight is F5J9, and Cathay just released an additional award seat in F, despite the cabin not being F6 and despite it being 2 months out.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, Southwest A-List, United MileagePlus Gold, Marriott/SPG Platinum
I had this exact same problem all week but finally managed to get BOS-HKG-BNE for March 20, all in J, for 2 people. It took almost 90 minutes and the rep had to work with her supervisor on it since she’d never done it before. The two reps prior, who couldn’t see the space, seemed more experienced.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by callmedtop
Pretty interesting, as this is the first time I've personally seen it happen (though it's been reported here before, I believe). Looking at a JFK-HKG flight 2 months out. Flight is F5J9, and Cathay just released an additional award seat in F, despite the cabin not being F6 and despite it being 2 months out.
At least they released it! I have seen a few days for this summer onwards where JFK-HKG is F6, AsiaMiles shows saver seat award for F, but no availability on offer to any of the OW partners, or AS. le sigh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.