Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 MVP/MVPG/MVPG 75K Qualification Roll Call ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 MVP/MVPG/MVPG 75K Qualification Roll Call ...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I crossed the threshold for 75K last night flying east coast-SEA. I accomplished all on AS, having refused to fly a single paid segment on AA.

Projected Final Tally:
36 Segments (All AS)
78268 miles flown

So here's my question. I was upgraded on last night's flight at the "t-48"-hour mark. I assume this was due to it being my 75K qualifying flight, because the upgrade list was 67 people long. My ticket was in a very low fare bucket and as a Gold it seemed highly unlikely I would be getting an early upgrade. Two people eventually cleared off the list, plus me. When I checked in and dropped off my bag, the ticket agent saw a customer service request notice on my reservation. They didn't show it to me, so I don't know what it said and I hadn't made any requests. The ticket agents were from Virgin and working the AS flight. Since it seems I've seen stories here that sometimes the in-flight crew make some sort of acknowledgement on the flight, was the mystery customer service request supposed to be for the flight crew to acknowledge? Just curious. I didn't get any acknowledgement, though that's just fine by me. I don't need such attention.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
I crossed the threshold for 75K last night flying east coast-SEA.

So here's my question. I was upgraded on last night's flight at the "t-48"-hour mark. I assume this was due to it being my 75K qualifying flight,
I have never heard of AS doing anything special when someone attains 75K. They are hit and miss (mostly miss form what is posted here) when people reach 1MM.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by BOB W
I have never heard of AS doing anything special when someone attains 75K. They are hit and miss (mostly miss form what is posted here) when people reach 1MM.
Agree.

Did you recently have a service issue with AS?

Perhaps someone intervened on your behalf to ensure a more positive trip this time.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
Agree.

Did you recently have a service issue with AS?

Perhaps someone intervened on your behalf to ensure a more positive trip this time.
Nothing of the sort. I’ve had nothing but good experience with the airline. There’s no other reason I could come up with to explain the upgrade. It just seems to be too much of a coincidence that it happened to be my 75K qualification flight.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:41 am

Reached 75K last week on a JFK-PDX flight. 75097 miles.

This year is my first time with any status on any airline. I've enjoyed the perks and certainly see how easy it is for some to develop a certain sense of entitlement. I've never paid for an alcoholic drink on a flight, but have certainly enjoyed the complimentary drinks this year. :-)

Last edited by LoachDriver; Dec 16, 2017 at 9:43 am Reason: Emoji
Old Dec 16, 2017, 10:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by LoachDriver
Reached 75K last week on a JFK-PDX flight. 75097 miles.

This year is my first time with any status on any airline. I've enjoyed the perks and certainly see how easy it is for some to develop a certain sense of entitlement. I've never paid for an alcoholic drink on a flight, but have certainly enjoyed the complimentary drinks this year. :-)
Not sure I've ever paid for one either inflight ^

Welcome to 75K
Old Dec 16, 2017, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA ExP, DL Diamond, AF Plat, AS 75K, Hertz #1 Gold, National Executive, SPG Gold
I reached 90K back in Sep, but mostly because I fly AF/KL. Seems like this is the 1st and last year i'm MVP 75k on AS. Will be moving to FlyingBlue now.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:26 am

My qualifying flight posted today along with the 50K-miles bonus! Nice to see them actaulily have an automated process to make it happen quickly.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: Nada of note these days….
Caught our 40K bogey for Gold last night on our KOA\ BLI flight. 40076 for the year. Probably our last year as Golds. Flying has been mostly for pleasure and the thrill is mostly gone....
Old Dec 17, 2017, 8:12 pm

Family member flew HNL-ANC nonstop departing late on the 14th. Miles posted on the 16th, and MVPG renewal reflected ^ [Indicating only another 35K for G75K ]
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:14 pm

Programs: MVP Gold
Just flew from IAH to SEA and back (mileage run) for under $150 to get to MVP GOLD
Old Dec 18, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
ORD-SEA last night for the last 204 miles for 75K.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by lalala
ORD-SEA last night for the last 204 miles for 75K.
Welcome to the Club...again
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by BOB W
Welcome to the Club...again
It is lovely to be back.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 2:34 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
After almost 10 years of MVPG (with a few years at 75K sprinkled in), I made it well over halfway to Million Miler, plus countless more flown on partners and on awards. But life changes, and I'm ending 2017 with under 10K miles credited to ASMP. Tomorrow's my last flight as a Gold, in 2018 I'll join the ranks of the masses again. Some of my memories over the last decade:
  • Amazing international awards: CX F to Asia (a bed wide enough to roll over in might make this my favorite), QF F to Australia (softest sheepskin bedding I've had in the air or on the ground), BA F to Europe (my first flight spoiled me as I was the only one in F). Truly unique and otherwise unattainable experiences I wouldn't have even dreamed of without AS Mileage Plan.
  • Change fee waivers that literally changed how I travel: Even though I only changed/cancelled rarely, free cancellation made me much more willing to make plans on the spur of the moment. Kudos to AS for this amazing benefit, I'll probably miss this one the most.
  • The kindest employees in the industry: I can't count how many times a flight attendant, gate attendant, BR concierge, and one time even a baggage handler went out of their way for me. I always look forward to my flights on AS because of the people.
  • MVPG Lunches: Met a few FT'ers, put a face to some names, and got to schmooze with the folks behind the scenes at AS. An awesome way for AS to connect with its most passionate customers.
  • Christmas gifts: MVPG cookies at Christmastime, then MVPG Christmas card in the mail, and now "free transfer of miles" gift this year (great idea!)
  • Upgrades: My upgrade rate over the past 10 years has to be north of 80%. Transcons and Hawaii were the most appreciated upgrades, but the most fun were the occasional battlefield upgrades, getting tapped on the shoulder while sitting in row 17. And I'm sure I still have some old paper certificate upgrades that were so frequently 'forgotten' to be collected at the counter.
  • Fleet changes: My first flight in F was on an MD80. I flew AS so much I eventually built up a cheat sheet of exactly which seats were the best on the 400's/700's/800's/900's. I flew the same seat on the same plane several times over. Got booted out of confirmed F more than once on an equipment change that reduced 4 rows of F to 3. The Disneyland plane, the salmon-thirty-salmon, the 'retro' plane. My favorite were the 739's with mid-cabin lavs.
  • Board Rooms: The YVR and SFO locations that are no more. The LAX BR that got converted to a VX Loft. The neverending promises of a rooftop SEA N lounge. The pancake makers. The cheese rationing. I liked to nab a few animal crackers for the road when I had an evening departure out of SEA.
  • Irrops and bumps: Pretty rare for AS. Got stuck in DCA one time, was bored to death. Got stuck in HNL one time, hard to complain about that. AS had their share of delays, but never re-routed me on another carrier. I only saw bumps offered a small handful of times over hundreds and hundreds of flights. Took one once or twice, and one time I even got 'un-bumped' back on the plane. By and large, AS runs a pretty reliable operation.
While I'm sure I'll still have occasion to fly AS in the future, this is sort of an end of an era for me. I still have some miles to burn but I'll have to plan a lot more carefully without the change fee waiver. Overall I gained an appreciation of what a large and complex undertaking it is to run an airline, and how much AS employees truly care about their passengers. Thanks AS for all the travel and the memories!
makfan, rustykettel and altadoc like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.