Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Date, Location, Day of week, Time of Day and method of access for denial.

Please include if you are actually flying Alaska that day, or some other airline, so we can see if the BR is giving preference to AS flyers

3/10/17 SEA D AL 4pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/12/17 SEA N & A AL 6pm Sunday PP denied
2/18/17 PDX AL 6:00am Saturday (flying AS) - PP denied (sign out)
3/21/17 SEA D AL 9am Tuesday - sign out
3/21/17 SEA N AL 9:45am Tuesday - sign out
3/24/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/25/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Saturday - sign out
3/25/17 SEA D AL 9:00pm Saturday - sign out
3/26/17 PDX C AL 9:15pm Sunday - Sign out (Was flying AS)
4/2/17 SEA D AL 4:00pm Monday - sign out
4/3/17 SEA D AL 10:30a Monday - sign out - PP requested-denied - was allowed with AL lounge pass - 90% occupied
4/10/17 SEA D 6:45 AM - sign out
4/12/17 SEA D 8:20 PM - sign out
4/14/17 SEA D 10:00 AM - sign out
4/16/17 SEA N 11:00am - sign out, was even upgraded to F on AS and MVP75K, no dice. It was a busy Easter Sunday
4/17/17 PDX 5:35am - no sign, admitted with a smile
4/22/17 PDX 6:35am - no sign, admitted
4/22/17 SEA D 8:15am - no sign, went to Centurion Lounge instead
4/23/17 SEA D and N 4:30pm - sign out. N lounge half empty.
4/26/17 LAX 11:30am - no sign
4/26/17 SEA D no sign, went to The Club
4/27/17 SEA D 10:40 AM - sign out
4/27/17 SEA N 10:50 AM - sign put out just as I entered, admitted with PP as the "last one"
4/27/17 SEA N 4pm - no sign, admitted with PP and a Delta bp
4/30/17 SEA D no sign, admitted
5/1/17 PDX 6:30 am - no sign, admitted, maybe 50% full
5/8/17 SEA D 11:00 am - new sign saying no PP guests, admitted as a PP cardholder.
5/15/17 SEA D 12:30pm sign out no PP
5/18/17 SEA N 7pm Thursday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/18/17 ANC 11:30pm Thursday - no sign, denied, but admitted 45 minutes later (PP, flying AS)
5/19/17 ANC 3pm Friday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/23/17 PDX C 4pm Tue - admitted (PP, flying WN).
5/27/17 PDX 7:50am no sign
6/28/17 LAX 12:30pm/3:30pm- no sign, admitted
9/25/17 PDX 2:00 - sign out, admitted without comment (PP, flying AA)
11/8/17 SEA C 09:00 AM - admitted (PP, flying AS). Only a few seats available, but at least a few seats remained available the whole time I was there
11/16/17 LAX 09:00 AM- sign out, no PP
02/0319 LAX 5pm Sunday-sign out no PP (flying AS)
Print Wikipost

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
If you have AS passes in your account, are agents allowed to cut some slack by swiping your PP card instead of pulling the passes? I figure if you're going to enter anyway...might as well make it free...
Answering my own question: yes, had success at SEA C using PP when the sign was out. Basically said nicely that I was going to come in anyway, might as well do it in a way that doesn't charge me and they scanned my PP card instead of pulling a pass from my account.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dayone
That has not been my experience.
Well, if you are there when they open at 5am before they have a chance to put the sign out, you can usually enter with PP....the other good time for PP is the last half hour before closing....I still would say that if you actually recorded the percentage of time the sign is out, it has to be at least 75% of operating hours.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 7:21 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Thinking about a long layover @LAX. Even though we are in F we are MVP upgraded so we don't get access via our ticket. If the no PP sign is out....can we still buy passes at the door to get in or does the sign out also limit those as well?
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:49 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Well, if you are there when they open at 5am before they have a chance to put the sign out, you can usually enter with PP....the other good time for PP is the last half hour before closing....I still would say that if you actually recorded the percentage of time the sign is out, it has to be at least 75% of operating hours.
Again, not my experience.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by HawaiiO
At SEA, was able to get into the AS lounge at about 11.30am or so.
When I came out later at around 12.30pm, the "Busy" sign was out and PP members arent accepted.
That's been my experience around the noon hour, Sundays and Mondays... hit or miss or just about ready to close or open. Last visit I had to burn another 75k lounge pass.
My flights are on AA in D so not worth the hike down to C even if available.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 4:51 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by david55
Thinking about a long layover @LAX. Even though we are in F we are MVP upgraded so we don't get access via our ticket. If the no PP sign is out....can we still buy passes at the door to get in or does the sign out also limit those as well?
It certainly can’t hurt to ask. If they give you a hard time, I would also highlight that not only do you have PP, but you’re MVP’s and you’re in first class so could they make an exception?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
Tried last week at LAX with all three of those qualifications and was politely denied.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tobikosan
Tried last week at LAX with all three of those qualifications and was politely denied.
​​​​​​​I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think LAX is worse than PDX....a previous poster in this thread actually was told by the lounge agent that they have the sign out almost all the time now.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:27 pm

Has anyone complained to priority pass? Alaska airlines puts the signs out a lot, almost to the point where they’re not even a member a priority pass lounges because priority pass members can’t access the clubs. I think priority pass should be aware of this situation, especially since they are paying Alaska airlines.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Has anyone complained to priority pass? Alaska airlines puts the signs out a lot, almost to the point where they’re not even a member a priority pass lounges because priority pass members can’t access the clubs. I think priority pass should be aware of this situation, especially since they are paying Alaska airlines.
Well, Priority Pass only does pay AS when someone gets in successfully. There are reports of people filing complaints with both AS and PP.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa
Well, Priority Pass only does pay AS when someone gets in successfully. There are reports of people filing complaints with both AS and PP.
I have complained to Priority Pass and I suspect others have as well...to the credit of Priority Pass, they seem to be listening with the creation of the Capers option at PDX and extended hours at The Club at SEA....fewer good and close options at LAX unfortunately. As for complaining to Alaska, I typically just give the Alaska Lounge survey one star for my Alaska Lounge experience and then briefly explain that the sign was out as it usually is...Usually I give five stars for everything else since every other area of travel experience is typically really good. I know some have suggested (as I have) that they do what some partner lounges do and post specific hours for Priority Pass admission which is really helpful as far as planning goes, but I doubt Alaska would ever set specific hours since the hours they don't have the sign out would be just a few hours or unreasonable narrow time periods like 5am-5:30am. Another option is to do what Delta did with AMEX Plat and require same day travel on their airline. Whatever the solution, something needs to be done because their affiliation with Priority Pass is a total joke right now.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:51 am

Alaska at the very least should waive the “full house” policy for 75k PP holders. I personally wrote to PP and Alaska. My feeling is that PP is not aware of how bad the situation really is. Alaska should not be a PP member, and I bet they get paid by PP not just by the visitors, but a nice fee from PP for being a member. I doubt PP has a clue as to what’s really going on at the BoardRooms.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Again, on a Sunday around noon, we walked in and were told no PP despite no sign out. When I pointed out no sign, they hemmed and hawed and decided to let us in but then put the sign out, the other agent saying, "I am not sure if there is any point since we will be bringing it back in really soon". I guess they knew they were on the downtrend. I am happy they let me in, I didn't have to try and play the 75K card.

I do understand though that if they are half full (which they were) and they start letting in PPs, they will quickly become overcrowded, there are just so many of them...
Hopefully they are looking at their lounge revenue with PP and thinking about trying to squeeze as much as they can out of it.... that's why they shouldn't drop PP although all these complaints may be pressing for it.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Alaska at the very least should waive the “full house” policy for 75k PP holders. I personally wrote to PP and Alaska. My feeling is that PP is not aware of how bad the situation really is. Alaska should not be a PP member, and I bet they get paid by PP not just by the visitors, but a nice fee from PP for being a member. I doubt PP has a clue as to what’s really going on at the BoardRooms.
So, your option one is to leave it as-is, but add a special carve-out that - based on your profile - happens to include you. Option two is to take it away from everyone, because... why? This is a benefit that lots of us use when it's available. Why should we lose it?

If you're that keen on using the lounge every single time, why not get a membership and drop Priority Pass?
lalala and PDX4MSU like this.

Last edited by Calculon; Apr 24, 2018 at 11:27 am Reason: typos everywhere!
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Calculon
So, your option one is to leave it as-is, but add a special carve-out that - based on your profile - happens to include you. Option 2 is to take it away from everyone, because... why? This is a benefit that lots of us use when it's available. Why should we lose it?

If you're that keen on using the lounge every single time, why not get an membership and drop Priority Pass?
I don’t care if it happens to include me. It can include you also if you want to qualify for 75K status.

MVP75K members are Alaska’s most valuable customers, so there are many instances where exceptions are made for them. This happens everyday when you fly Alaska. This includes many policies already in place at the airline. Why? It’s not fair that we are treated special. Could it be that maybe 75Ker’s provide the most revenue to AS which is why those members get extra benefits?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.