Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Date, Location, Day of week, Time of Day and method of access for denial.

Please include if you are actually flying Alaska that day, or some other airline, so we can see if the BR is giving preference to AS flyers

3/10/17 SEA D AL 4pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/12/17 SEA N & A AL 6pm Sunday PP denied
2/18/17 PDX AL 6:00am Saturday (flying AS) - PP denied (sign out)
3/21/17 SEA D AL 9am Tuesday - sign out
3/21/17 SEA N AL 9:45am Tuesday - sign out
3/24/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/25/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Saturday - sign out
3/25/17 SEA D AL 9:00pm Saturday - sign out
3/26/17 PDX C AL 9:15pm Sunday - Sign out (Was flying AS)
4/2/17 SEA D AL 4:00pm Monday - sign out
4/3/17 SEA D AL 10:30a Monday - sign out - PP requested-denied - was allowed with AL lounge pass - 90% occupied
4/10/17 SEA D 6:45 AM - sign out
4/12/17 SEA D 8:20 PM - sign out
4/14/17 SEA D 10:00 AM - sign out
4/16/17 SEA N 11:00am - sign out, was even upgraded to F on AS and MVP75K, no dice. It was a busy Easter Sunday
4/17/17 PDX 5:35am - no sign, admitted with a smile
4/22/17 PDX 6:35am - no sign, admitted
4/22/17 SEA D 8:15am - no sign, went to Centurion Lounge instead
4/23/17 SEA D and N 4:30pm - sign out. N lounge half empty.
4/26/17 LAX 11:30am - no sign
4/26/17 SEA D no sign, went to The Club
4/27/17 SEA D 10:40 AM - sign out
4/27/17 SEA N 10:50 AM - sign put out just as I entered, admitted with PP as the "last one"
4/27/17 SEA N 4pm - no sign, admitted with PP and a Delta bp
4/30/17 SEA D no sign, admitted
5/1/17 PDX 6:30 am - no sign, admitted, maybe 50% full
5/8/17 SEA D 11:00 am - new sign saying no PP guests, admitted as a PP cardholder.
5/15/17 SEA D 12:30pm sign out no PP
5/18/17 SEA N 7pm Thursday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/18/17 ANC 11:30pm Thursday - no sign, denied, but admitted 45 minutes later (PP, flying AS)
5/19/17 ANC 3pm Friday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/23/17 PDX C 4pm Tue - admitted (PP, flying WN).
5/27/17 PDX 7:50am no sign
6/28/17 LAX 12:30pm/3:30pm- no sign, admitted
9/25/17 PDX 2:00 - sign out, admitted without comment (PP, flying AA)
11/8/17 SEA C 09:00 AM - admitted (PP, flying AS). Only a few seats available, but at least a few seats remained available the whole time I was there
11/16/17 LAX 09:00 AM- sign out, no PP
02/0319 LAX 5pm Sunday-sign out no PP (flying AS)
Print Wikipost

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2018, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by felicidad76
I pay annual membership, and if people like as lounge that much they should do the same. I am not sure why is this topic here at all. Take that to other forums. I am so sorry but this is not Alaska fault and should not be posted here
Well, for some of us, where we used to have a BR (SFO), and then we had a substitute BR (SFO) as well as a partner lounge (SFO), we really have nothing now. So, unless you're flying on one of a very few flights out of the A gates @ SFO, an AL membership is useless at SFO. PP gives us a reasonable lounge alternative, at least with SEA/PDX/LAX connections, and an available lounge @ SFO A gates.

Yes, this is Alaska's fault. I enjoyed lounge access at my home airport, either through paid membership or F fares for 20-some years. To not have a viable lounge at my home airport means that I'm not going to waste my dough when there are, what appear to be on its face, reasonable alternatives.

I'm just as worthy as you. I've been a loyal MP member since March, 1986.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: MVPGold 75K
I agree that as needs to build lounge at sfo

But if you just see how many people get PP via cc it is not sustainable, unfortunately
Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Last I checked, at least with US legacy carriers, being a "loyal" member of an airlines frequent flyer program has absolutely, positively nothing to do, whatsoever, with accessing their airport lounges, which are built on a paid membership model (at least for "domestic" flights). Alaska is no different in this situation than American, United, or Delta. You can walk up to any of those three clubs, on a domestic itinerary, and claim you've been a "loyal" frequent flyer member since 1886 and you won't be gaining admission to the lounge. Neither frequent flyer membership, nor length of said membership, has anything, whatsoever, to do with lounge admission.

So in terms of access to Alaska Boardrooms, if felicidad76, does indeed have a paid membership as implied, then no, I'm afraid you are not as "worthy," at least as it relates to AS Boardroom lounge access.

Regards

Last edited by scubadu; Apr 24, 2018 at 5:35 pm
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
But if you just see how many people get PP via cc it is not sustainable, unfortunately
Likely agreed, but this topic is an important topic for those of use who use PP to access the ALs, which is a product we were offered / sold, and that isn't being delivered. For those of us that don't access the AL via PP, or aren't considering same, then this is probably a topic that can be ignored.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BA
I pay annual membership, and if people like as lounge that much they should do the same. I am not sure why is this topic here at all. Take that to other forums. I am so sorry but this is not Alaska fault and should not be posted here
Its basically for data points, not to rag on AS lounges.

I completely understand when AS has no room for me in their lounge. If I get to use it, great otherwise I'll slum it in the terminal. That being said I think the annual membership price is overpriced for what it is.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Geez I don’t know what’s going on with PP investigating this matter, but I wrote one email to PP explaining the situation with Alaska at Seattle, and I’ve subsequently gotten three calls from PP from the UK. I have not answered them because I cannot take calls from the UK on my cell without being charged exuberant prices, and I wrote them an email explaining this to them, but they still keep calling so obviously they are taking this situation very seriously.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Geez I don’t know what’s going on with PP investigating this matter, but I wrote one email to PP explaining the situation with Alaska at Seattle, and I’ve subsequently gotten three calls from PP from the UK. I have not answered them because I cannot take calls from the UK on my cell without being charged exuberant prices, and I wrote them an email explaining this to them, but they still keep calling so obviously they are taking this situation very seriously.
Voicemails and phone calls don't actually equal outcomes/results/change. Before you get overly excited and assure us all they are "taking this situation very seriously." How about you report back when there are actionable/demonstrable results and changes; modified policies, etc.

Regards
dayone likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:32 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
4/25 9am: Sign out at SEA D lounge. Asked about the other lounges and told all were full.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
4/24 (Tuesday morning): sign was out at SEA C lounge from when we got to the C16 gates at about 07:15. Sign went away at around 08:30 and we went in (family of three). Worked out well for us because this was when a travelling companion boarded her flight out of C16 but we had another 45 minutes; we couldn't have gotten all four of us into the lounge without paying more (which wasn't worth it for us) anyway. The comfy chair seating areas were decently occupied (few pairs and no three-seat sets available), but there were several four-person tables open in the bar area.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, Hilton, AS, AA, JL, HA
SEA on Sunday, 4/22: After security stopped at C lounge at about 5:45 PM where sign was predictably out. Entered anyway and meekly checked with desk agent, who got up and looked around the lounge and then looked at something on her computer screen. She acknowledged there were some empty seats in the front, visible to us both, but the back was full so they couldn't allow entrance then. Admittedly it was fairly full so I took my medicine and left. Proceeded to the N terminal, from where our flight was scheduled to depart, and no sign was outside. My son and I were warmly granted access and the lounge was maybe half full. Within 15 minutes there was a line of maybe 8 people at the counter and the last few in the line, all PP, were denied admittance. Whew, that was close.

Some may understandably think the lounges aren't that remarkable but after having walked over 8 miles that day, including doing the March to The Match to the Sounders game and standing for the full 90 minutes in the supporters section, my dogs were barking and it felt great to sit down for an hour in relative quiet with a nice cold Airways IPA or few. A pleasant end to a great day in Seattle.
bmvaughn likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Well, for some of us, where we used to have a BR (SFO), and then we had a substitute BR (SFO) as well as a partner lounge (SFO), we really have nothing now. So, unless you're flying on one of a very few flights out of the A gates @ SFO, an AL membership is useless at SFO. PP gives us a reasonable lounge alternative, at least with SEA/PDX/LAX connections, and an available lounge @ SFO A gates.

Yes, this is Alaska's fault. I enjoyed lounge access at my home airport, either through paid membership or F fares for 20-some years. To not have a viable lounge at my home airport means that I'm not going to waste my dough when there are, what appear to be on its face, reasonable alternatives.

How about buying an AA Admirals Club membership or apply for the Citi AA Advantage Executive World Elite MasterCard which comes with AC Membership? That will get you access to the AC in T2 at SFO as well as ALL AS ALs.

I have the Citi card for this purpose. I use it mostly fo AL access but also use it at SFO AC even on arrival if I am connecting or arrive early and have to wait for hotel check-in. I have never been denied access to the AL with my AC Membership.

The Citi AA Advantage card also grants access to AC for up to 10 authorized users as well but only the primary cardholder will get access to AL.

James
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
From the festivities last night, someone claimed 2 years out... from when I don't know

The SFO AMEX CL is nice. Was in there last night. But is a bit of a walk from the AS gates, not terrible. But walking by the AA AC is sad.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:59 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa

The SFO AMEX CL is nice. Was in there last night. But is a bit of a walk from the AS gates, not terrible. But walking by the AA AC is sad.
Has anyone ever been denied going through security to get to the CL since it’s in a remote part of the airport that is mostly for UA?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by NWplatinum

Has anyone ever been denied going through security to get to the CL since it’s in a remote part of the airport that is mostly for UA?
Ive heard if you use a mobile boarding pass they wont even notice the airline you are flying since you you lay it face down on the machine, that being said i have never been denied.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
How about buying an AA Admirals Club membership or apply for the Citi AA Advantage Executive World Elite MasterCard which comes with AC Membership? That will get you access to the AC in T2 at SFO as well as ALL AS ALs.
Ding Ding Ding Ding

This is exactly what I do, especially since you have SFO T2, which is a real decent lounge for a domestic and the ticket for SFO AS flights. The Citi AA Advantage with up to 10 authorized users (no AS Lounge for authorized users) is a great deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.