Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earning on DL for W Class (C+)..?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2016, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Frequentlander
I booked and flew four segments in C+ on DL in mid June.

YVR-MSP-IND (IND to PIT by car)
PIT-MSP-YVR

Miles not posted to MP account yet. Is it normal to wait a month for DL miles to post?

I've done two other trips on AA since and they posted pretty much immediately.

Thanks.
As noted upthread, these DL Comfort+ W fares do not auto-post yet. You will need to contact AS to get credit for them. Mileage percentage will be based on the underlying fare class which is the first letter of the fare code in the fare rules (fare code is also shown in the "Fare Details" section of the flight receipt)
Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:20 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by LBJ
As noted upthread, these DL Comfort+ W fares do not auto-post yet. You will need to contact AS to get credit for them. Mileage percentage will be based on the underlying fare class which is the first letter of the fare code in the fare rules (fare code is also shown in the "Fare Details" section of the flight receipt)
Thanks

I read the rest of the thread (like I should have done before) and it all makes sense. The fares were indeed W.

Pleaded my case to MP completed with scanned the boarding passes this morning by e-mail.

FL
Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Frequentlander
Thanks

I read the rest of the thread (like I should have done before) and it all makes sense. The fares were indeed W.

Pleaded my case to MP completed with scanned the boarding passes this morning by e-mail.

FL
Good luck getting your miles for your W flights on DL....I think the boarding passes may help your case. I flew DL last month and was "upgraded" to C+ and I never thought about the fact that I wouldn't get any AS miles for it. Since I typically fly AS/QX metal for revenue flights, I never save my boarding passes (yeah, my fault) so I have nothing to send in to even get considered for mileage credit although I just checked the AS website and W is definitely not an eligible fare class...at least it was a good fare and a relatively short flight (SEA-SJC)....lesson learned
Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Good luck getting your miles for your W flights on DL....I think the boarding passes may help your case. I flew DL last month and was "upgraded" to C+ and I never thought about the fact that I wouldn't get any AS miles for it. Since I typically fly AS/QX metal for revenue flights, I never save my boarding passes (yeah, my fault) so I have nothing to send in to even get considered for mileage credit although I just checked the AS website and W is definitely not an eligible fare class...at least it was a good fare and a relatively short flight (SEA-SJC)....lesson learned

I did send in a suggestion that they may want to more directly specify on their webpage that "Comfort + fares (W) are not eligible for AS credit" since the average flyer will assume that an "upgrade" to C+ would earn AS miles.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 4:49 pm

Original Poster

I did send in a suggestion that they may want to more directly specify on their webpage that "Comfort + fares (W) are not eligible for AS credit" since the average flyer will assume that an "upgrade" to C+ would earn AS miles.
IMO, that is going to confuse the heck out of anybody wondering if they are going to get credit if/when they buy a C+ fare on Delta and credit it to AS MP.

Yes, they will get credit if the underlying fare is eligible for credit. For now, they may have to request it manually. (email your itinerary to [email protected] if it doesn't post within a reasonable amount of time. See post #61) The credit will be based on the underlying fare.

No, there's no special class of service bonus for a C+ fare. (unless the underlying fare you purchased has a class of service bonus).

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Jul 15, 2016 at 4:54 pm
Old Jul 15, 2016, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
That is going to confuse the hell out of anybody wondering if they are going to get credit if/when they buy a C+ fare on Delta and credit it to AS MP.

Yes, they will get credit if the underlying fare is eligible for credit. For now, they may have to request it manually. (email your itinerary to [email protected] if it doesn't post within a reasonable amount of time. See post #61) The credit will be based on the underlying fare.

No, there's no special class of service bonus for a C+ fare. (unless the underlying fare you purchased has a class of service bonus).

-David
Unless they are giving you a one time break, emailing an random itinerary to get credit for a DL flight is likely to result in a request for copies of receipts and boarding passes....which people may or may not still have a month or two after the flight. If it's a long flight, it's probably worth the hassle.

Honestly, I think the average person will see "W" for fare class, check the AS website and see that "W" is not listed as an eligible fare class, and figure they won't receive miles....nobody is going to protest if the fare class isn't listed so they either need to add "W" to the list or specifically state that Comfort + tickets don't earn mileage. I already received a response from AS saying that they would pass my suggestion along--there was no mention of this being some type of coding error or that I should email Mileage Plan to receive my missing miles.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 5:05 pm

Original Poster

I already received a response from AS saying that they would pass my suggestion along--there was no mention of this being some type of coding error or that I should email Mileage Plan to receive my missing miles.
Which part of this quote posted in post #61 is confusing?

David, we are very close to having a solution for electronic posting. In the meantime, if there are any W Class of service flights on DL in which you did not receive credit, can you send those itineraries to [email protected] We will credit the original class of service for these flights. Thank you for sharing this issue with us. DL and AS both agree that you should receive credit for these.
Is it the word "you"? I would not take that literally even though the message was directed to me and I requested permission to post it here, so it really does apply to all of us .. even you.

Sure, it's good advice to keep your boarding passes (even as images on your phone for mobile ones) and send them in also. I keep them and the e-ticket receipts at least until the flights post.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Jul 15, 2016 at 5:11 pm
Old Jul 15, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which part of this quote posted in post #61 is confusing?

Is it the word "you"? I would not take that literally even though the message was directed to me and I requested permission to post it here, so it really does apply to all of us .. even you.

Sure, it's good advice to keep your boarding passes (even as images on your phone for mobile ones) and send them in also. I keep them and the e-ticket receipts at least until the flights post.

-David
I do hope "you" means all of us, but it's clear that not everyone has received such an encouraging response. To clarify, when they say, "email us your itinerary"...is that assumed to mean e-ticket #'s and boarding passes or just a list of dates/flight #s?? I'll admit, since most of my flights are on AS/QX and they always post electronically in a few days, I've gotten lazy and don't keep copies of my boarding passes, but I guess it's time to start doing that. I just hate having to babysit every reservation and make sure I'm getting miles.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 6:03 pm

Original Poster

I do hope "you" means all of us, but it's clear that not everyone has received such an encouraging response.
As I said upthread, through our community I made a connection with somebody on their social media side who elected to pass it on to the right people and followed up.

The response really is intended for everybody. If people try it and start having issues I guess we can ask that person to look into it again.

To clarify, when they say, "email us your itinerary"...is that assumed to mean e-ticket #'s and boarding passes or just a list of dates/flight #s?? I'll admit, since most of my flights are on AS/QX and they always post electronically in a few days, I've gotten lazy and don't keep copies of my boarding passes, but I guess it's time to start doing that. I just hate having to babysit every reservation and make sure I'm getting miles.
Send in whatever you have. If they can do it, I'm sure they will. In my case, they wanted to know how the fare was constructed, so I forwarded the e-ticket receipt to them, but YMMV. They kind of need the receipt for this so they can see the actual fare code. At least that's what I think.

-David
Old Jul 15, 2016, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I said upthread, through our community I made a connection with somebody on their social media side who elected to pass it on to the right people and followed up.

The response really is intended for everybody. If people try it and start having issues I guess we can ask that person to look into it again.

Send in whatever you have. If they can do it, I'm sure they will. In my case, they wanted to know how the fare was constructed, so I forwarded the e-ticket receipt to them, but YMMV. They kind of need the receipt for this so they can see the actual fare code. At least that's what I think.

-David
Thanks for the info! I'll keep my fingers crossed! In a few years (or less), we'll probably look back on this thread and say, "remember when you used to earn miles for Delta flights??"
Old Jul 15, 2016, 10:29 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I do hope "you" means all of us, but it's clear that not everyone has received such an encouraging response. To clarify, when they say, "email us your itinerary"...is that assumed to mean e-ticket #'s and boarding passes or just a list of dates/flight #s?? I'll admit, since most of my flights are on AS/QX and they always post electronically in a few days, I've gotten lazy and don't keep copies of my boarding passes, but I guess it's time to start doing that. I just hate having to babysit every reservation and make sure I'm getting miles.
AS has made it clear W is indeed eligible and will be crediting these flights.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 10:30 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Not sure why this would be put on the website since W is in fact eligible. If anything they need to update the site to reflect this. The issue at hand is that its hard for them to auto post the W fares because the actual fare that determines the earning percentage is the underlying fare. They are working on this however.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just received an email from AS Mileage Plan/Customer Care....it's a no-go on earning mileage for my DL flight in W class. They said that a copy of a boarding pass is required for earning miles on any partner airline so as has already been said before--KEEP YOUR BOARDING PASSES.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

W class on DL is NOT eligible for AS mileage credit

I just received a message from a member of Alaska's social media team who clarified the issue we've been having with earning credit when flying in W class on Delta.

"When Delta created W class, they opted not to include it for Alaska mileage plan member accrual. If you book in W class, the miles will not be eligible."

So, it sounds like W class is and will not be eligible for AS mileage credit and the decision was made by DL, not AS so sending AS feedback about this issue is most likely pointless. Moral of the story: If you see that Comfort + is only a few dollars more than the economy ticket you're about to book, stick with economy if you want the AS miles.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 9:48 pm

Original Poster

Good luck sir.

Hopefully anybody else that wants credit will follow the instructions from the AS team working the issue. (And saved their BPs)

DL and AS both agree that you should receive credit for these.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.