Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earning on DL for W Class (C+)..?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by LBJ
Actually, I have seen DL Comfort+ W fares where the underlying fare code is W. Example, check DTW-MSP for tomorrow and specify Y as lowest class. The matching Comfort+ W fare for this has a fare code of W0.

DL will also sell tickets with Premium Economy seating on AF/VS and DL flight numbers. The underlying fare codes on these all start with W.
Well you are right, but avoiding those fares shouldn't be that tough considering how expensive they are. Unless you need it to be refundable and unwilling to pay the extra few bucks for a refundable first class ticket it doesn't seem like there is any reason to buy it.

I only checked one random flight, but a premium economy fare on DL and VS booked into X class. Might be where they do publish one very expensive fare for W class. In any case, something to watch out for, but most people aren't going to be buying W fares directly.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I received confirmation from Mileage Plan that they are not able to issue me mileage credit for my W class flight (and yes, the original booking class was not W). If it were some big international trip involving lots of miles, I would go with my usual plan which is begging, but I'll let this one go. For what it's worth, I think you can "uncheck" the C+ upgrade request (on the DL site) to avoid getting in the W class and in my opinion, I'd rather have the miles than a few extra inches of legroom.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: MP MVP Gold; Hilton - Gold; Marriott - Silver;
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I received confirmation from Mileage Plan that they are not able to issue me mileage credit for my W class flight (and yes, the original booking class was not W). If it were some big international trip involving lots of miles, I would go with my usual plan which is begging, but I'll let this one go. For what it's worth, I think you can "uncheck" the C+ upgrade request (on the DL site) to avoid getting in the W class and in my opinion, I'd rather have the miles than a few extra inches of legroom.
Even with the website explicitly calling out the earning being based on the booking class?
Old Jul 19, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Alaska elites aren't eligible for upgrades (beyond op ups) to C+ as far as I can tell. Are you saying you have the option to select a complimentary upgrade to C+?

Sounds like your W class flight wasn't very straightforward, and if you had the boarding passes you would get credit. That's why I always print the boarding passes to a PDF or take a screenshot of the mobile bp. If I need them to get credit I don't have to search around and try to see if I kept the paper copies or not.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 2:47 pm

Programs: MP MVP Gold; Hilton - Gold; Marriott - Silver;
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
Alaska elites aren't eligible for upgrades (beyond op ups) to C+ as far as I can tell. Are you saying you have the option to select a complimentary upgrade to C+?

Sounds like your W class flight wasn't very straightforward, and if you had the boarding passes you would get credit. That's why I always print the boarding passes to a PDF or take a screenshot of the mobile bp. If I need them to get credit I don't have to search around and try to see if I kept the paper copies or not.
What I've started doing with mobile passes is just keeping them in my Apple Wallet (iOS only obviously) until they post to my account. For paper passes I save images in Google Docs, that way I can just email a PDF right to milageplan with the images straight away.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Don't push over, fight it. Probably just another AS employee who didn't get the memo.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrapollinax
What I've started doing with mobile passes is just keeping them in my Apple Wallet (iOS only obviously) until they post to my account. For paper passes I save images in Google Docs, that way I can just email a PDF right to milageplan with the images straight away.
I thought there was a big push away from paper and even mobile boarding passes in favor of finger prints (like they are using for BR entry now)....are we eventually going to have to scan in our finger prints every time a flight doesn't post? When you think about it, since W class on DL hasn't been auto posting, I'm sure there are A LOT of folks who thought they got credit, but didn't and assume they did. I think the FT crowd is a little more vigilant about checking things like that, but I'm sure they've gotten away with not having to give out thousands of miles.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe use DL status to upgrade to C+, and then attemp to switch to MP for credit.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm really not sure if they get upgrades to C+ or not. I got moved to C+ after a VDB situation that gave me $400 in DL credit so even thought I thought I would still get AS miles for the flight, I'm not TOO disappointed since I still came out of it with more money than my ticket was worth. In retrospect, I probably should have asked if there were any seats available in regular Y--I think the GA thought they were doing me favor...and of course I should have saved my BP.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDKing
Don't push over, fight it. Probably just another AS employee who didn't get the memo.
It was just a SEA-SJC flight and I got credit for the PDX-SEA segment which was good. Sending in the e-ticket # didn't seem to help. I may try sending one more email if I have the time, but I honestly don't think the amount of miles we're dealing with is worth too much time/effort.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 5:31 am

Original Poster

Glad to see the website updated with the correct information. It's important to remember, however, that it IS possible to book a W fare directly on DL and if that IS your originally purchased fare, you will NOT be receiving any AS miles. Here is the full quote from an AS social media rep:

"When Delta created W class, they opted not to include it for Alaska mileage plan member accrual. If you book in W class, the miles will not be eligible. However, if you book in a different class and then later upgrade to W class, we can credit the original class that you booked in. I hope this helps."
Which has been proven to be incorrect with the update to the website, assuming you didn't believe the information previously posted here.

I don't know or at this point care why you insist on doing this around here, but I'm just going to use the ignore function from now on.

-David
Old Jul 20, 2016, 5:35 am

Original Poster

You can book directly into a W class fare on delta, but the fare code doesn't start with a W. That's what I did, it was a transcon and the W fare was only a few dollars more than the non-W fare. (maybe $29? IIRC).

There's a fare construction example thread in the delta forum that has a link to how to decode the new W fares, which is different than they used to do it. But there is a actually an underlying fare class, presumably the first letter of the fare code. I think in my case it was a T fare as I posted much earlier in this thread.

I only have one or two posts in the delta forum so you can easily find it by searching for posts there by me if you really want to know the facts on how to decode the delta fare codes.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Jul 20, 2016 at 6:50 am
Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
You can book directly into a W class fare on delta, but the fare code doesn't start with a W. That's what I did, it was a transcon and the W fare was only a few dollars more than the non-W fare. (maybe $29? IIRC).

There's a fare construction example thread in the delta forum that has a link to how to decode the new W fares, which is different than they used to do it. But there is a actually an underlying fare class, presumably the first letter of the fare code. I think in my case it was a T fare as I posted much earlier in this thread.

I only have one or two posts in the delta forum so you can easily find it by searching for posts there by me if you really want to know the facts on how to decode the delta fare codes.

-David
LBJ is right, you can book a W fare with a W fare basis. You'd have to try really hard to do it! As he noted, if you select a close-in request and choose Y as your lowest fare, it will spit out a W with a W0 fare basis, which is double in price than the Q fare basis fare you'd get without forcing the Y lowest fare.

So, while it's possible to do, I don't think we'll see many AS MP members running into it!
Old Jul 20, 2016, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johnp012001
LBJ is right, you can book a W fare with a W fare basis. You'd have to try really hard to do it! As he noted, if you select a close-in request and choose Y as your lowest fare, it will spit out a W with a W0 fare basis, which is double in price than the Q fare basis fare you'd get without forcing the Y lowest fare.

So, while it's possible to do, I don't think we'll see many AS MP members running into it!
And that's basically what my point was (as supported by the comment above from AS social media)....they WILL give credit for the underlying fare if you are upgraded into C+ (W class), but not if you book W directly which is why the website doesn't give an earning percentage for W--it refers specifically to the underlying fare.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Which has been proven to be incorrect with the update to the website, assuming you didn't believe the information previously posted here.

I don't know or at this point care why you insist on doing this around here, but I'm just going to use the ignore function from now on.

-David
Keep in mind if you use the ignore function, you'll miss all my polenta commentary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.