Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earning on DL for W Class (C+)..?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2016, 12:38 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I just received a message from a member of Alaska's social media team who clarified the issue we've been having with earning credit when flying in W class on Delta.

"When Delta created W class, they opted not to include it for Alaska mileage plan member accrual. If you book in W class, the miles will not be eligible."

So, it sounds like W class is and will not be eligible for AS mileage credit and the decision was made by DL, not AS so sending AS feedback about this issue is most likely pointless. Moral of the story: If you see that Comfort + is only a few dollars more than the economy ticket you're about to book, stick with economy if you want the AS miles.
This is in direct contradiction to what the AS Social media team has told both me and LIH Prem.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
I submitted a W class fare to the e-mail above and have not heard back yet. Friday was the 7th business day.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ryandc99
This is in direct contradiction to what the AS Social media team has told both me and LIH Prem.
I agree, it seems we're getting contradictory messages from the same AS (social media) team. While the jury is still out on the W class issue, it's important to note that W class has NOT been added to the list of eligible fares for DL flights and nobody from AS has said that it will be added so as I said before, I would think twice before booking W class on the DL for the time being.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I think the whole issue is DL doesn't even know what W fares are so how can AS. There is technically no such thing as a W fare. Its just like being put into U when getting an upgrade to F on AS. You aren't on a U fare your retain the original booking class.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDKing
I think the whole issue is DL doesn't even know what W fares are so how can AS. There is technically no such thing as a W fare. Its just like being put into U when getting an upgrade to F on AS. You aren't on a U fare your retain the original booking class.
+1....well said. As I've said before, all this will be a moot point in a year or so when we will likely not be receiving miles for DL flights.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 5:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Why can't they just say that W fares earn 50% Miles, since that is the minimum it would earn? (An E fare, which earns 25% miles is not eligible for upgrade to C+). It might be minimal, but it's something.

The AS/DL relationship may be sour but they need to fix this for the mileage plan program to be competitive.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bretmd
Why can't they just say that W fares earn 50% Miles, since that is the minimum it would earn? (An E fare, which earns 25% miles is not eligible for upgrade to C+). It might be minimal, but it's something.

The AS/DL relationship may be sour but they need to fix this for the mileage plan program to be competitive.
That's what I don't understand, an E fare, which is the lowest Y fare you can probably buy, earns 25% miles, but if you buy a W fare (higher than full Y), you get nothing....
Old Jul 17, 2016, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
That's what I don't understand, an E fare, which is the lowest Y fare you can probably buy, earns 25% miles, but if you buy a W fare (higher than full Y), you get nothing....
They have told us that this is a complicated technical matter. The computer spits out W, but the real mileage earning depends on the underlying fare class. As LIH Prem has mentioned, both DL and AS agree that these fares should earn miles.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion

AS doesn't necessarily wanna fix this. Particularly with their own E+ rolling out soon. They wanna incentivize MP members to book that, not DL C+ fares. By retaining mystique around C+ earning, the AS product might sell better.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
AS doesn't necessarily wanna fix this. Particularly with their own E+ rolling out soon. They wanna incentivize MP members to book that, not DL C+ fares. By retaining mystique around C+ earning, the AS product might sell better.
Good point.

The social media rep from AS made it clear (as shown in the direct quote I posted) that fares booked as W class on DL will NOT earn miles. If you originally booked V but got upgraded to W, they may be able to give you miles, but not if you originally booked it as W class which some folks might do if the fare isn't much higher.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They have told us that this is a complicated technical matter. The computer spits out W, but the real mileage earning depends on the underlying fare class. As LIH Prem has mentioned, both DL and AS agree that these fares should earn miles.
So has anyone successfully earned mileage on a DL W fare? I know it's not happening automatically, but has anyone, after emailing boarding passes and e-receipts, successfully seen these miles show up in their account?
Old Jul 17, 2016, 10:36 pm

So has anyone successfully earned mileage on a DL W fare? I know it's not happening automatically, but has anyone, after emailing boarding passes and e-receipts, successfully seen these miles show up in their account?
Yes, LIH Prem has.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, LIH Prem has.
That's good news.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 10:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I'm sure there will be plenty of incentive for AS members to fly C+ on Alaska when launched - especially since those fares will likely earn more miles and receive more benefits to mileage plan members than similar seats on Delta.

However, Alaska needs to offer customers the ability to accrue miles on partners in an easy, intuitive way for their mileage plan product to remain competitive. They just don't have the large footprint that many other domestic competitors have. Many Alaska customers need to fly another airline when Alaska service is unavailable, myself included.

They may lose customer loyalty if they don't make partner accrual consistent. They may not like having Delta as a partner, but since that partnership remains in place, it needs to be managed in a customer friendly manner.

Just my two cents
Old Jul 18, 2016, 12:22 am

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
I'm sure there will be plenty of incentive for AS members to fly C+ on Alaska when launched - especially since those fares will likely earn more miles and receive more benefits to mileage plan members than similar seats on Delta.

However, Alaska needs to offer customers the ability to accrue miles on partners in an easy, intuitive way for their mileage plan product to remain competitive. They just don't have the large footprint that many other domestic competitors have. Many Alaska customers need to fly another airline when Alaska service is unavailable, myself included.

They may lose customer loyalty if they don't make partner accrual consistent. They may not like having Delta as a partner, but since that partnership remains in place, it needs to be managed in a customer friendly manner.

Just my two cents
+1

DL is currently a partner and it's logical that premium fares on DL earn mileage in AS if a Mileage Plan number is used for the DL booking. If that's not the case then customers (like me) are likely to loose faith in the entire system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.