Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earning on DL for W Class (C+)..?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2016, 8:24 am

Programs: MP MVP Gold; Hilton - Gold; Marriott - Silver;
Originally Posted by Bretmd
Why can't they just say that W fares earn 50% Miles, since that is the minimum it would earn? (An E fare, which earns 25% miles is not eligible for upgrade to C+). It might be minimal, but it's something.

The AS/DL relationship may be sour but they need to fix this for the mileage plan program to be competitive.
AS can't just "say" what the earning rates are. DL is the one that will dictate those terms. If DL decides that C+ will not accrue any credit for all non-SkyTeam partners then there really isn't anything that can be done at that point.

If we use Virgin Atlantic or Virgin Australia as indicators then we can hope for some earning. But until I know what that earning will be I am avoiding C+ fares.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mrapollinax
AS can't just "say" what the earning rates are. DL is the one that will dictate those terms.
I don't believe that is true. AS unilaterally decides what earning in MP will be. It could have people mail in boarding passes for their Southwest flights and issue MP miles, for example.

What may be true is that DL will pay AS MP more (for more miles) in a higher fare class.

DL's own SkyMiles redeemable miles earning is simplified: Comfort+ and all 13 paid coach fare buckets earn at the same rate. For elite qualifying miles, Y and B earn 150%; all Comfort+ and the other 11 paid coach fare buckets earn 100%
Old Jul 18, 2016, 9:32 am

Good point. AS does control the earning rates but I would argue that they would base those earning rates on what the reciprocation will be from the partner. So in that case the partner still dictates what the eventual earning rate will be based on what makes the most business sense.

It's also why I pointed VS and VA as showing potential earnings for C+ as non-skyteam partners. They earn 150% and 125% respectively on "W" or "Comfort+" fares. The question is when MP will come out with explicit earning rates. Again, until I know for sure I'm avoiding the whole mess or crediting C+ to Skymiles.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 9:50 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by ryandc99
Has anyone had the opportunity to book a W fare yet? I realize we are still looking at may 16th, but wanted to keep this thread alive till then.
Not specific to Alaska, but I earn miles with FlyingBlue who have had W listed on the fare chart since long before delta added W as a comfort+ class, and when I credited miles from a flight in comfort+ they credited as W class and not as the underlying "subclass" that the W fare is made of. Because of this, I would think Alaska might be the same and would probably avoid comfort+ until you were sure of how they credit.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Comfort plus fare is nothing more than a bundled airfare package. the normal coach fare + whatever they would have normally charged to get the extra legroom seat. Its nowhere near the pricing of a typical premium economy. Those are priced much higher than most other regular economy fare. I'm shocked that any partner would want to award more miles (outside of when its an add on to the partners overwater true Y+ fare). I definitely don't expect AS to allow more miles. You can get a C+ seat on a L, U T fare for less than a regular economy seat on a H, Q, K fare. It shouldn't be treated the same way as true premium economy

Originally Posted by Agremeister
Not specific to Alaska, but I earn miles with FlyingBlue who have had W listed on the fare chart since long before delta added W as a comfort+ class, and when I credited miles from a flight in comfort+ they credited as W class and not as the underlying "subclass" that the W fare is made of. Because of this, I would think Alaska might be the same and would probably avoid comfort+ until you were sure of how they credit.
That's because on non-DL flights W is a true premium economy fare and they want you to get credit even though you would be in coach, Since DL historically didn't sell C+ as a separate cabin. Sooner or later they may catch on and drop the earnings. Or it may just be left that way as they don't know how to make it work when W could mean 2 different things. I remember all the complaints where people thought they bought premium economy all the way and ended up in Y- and charged separately for a better seat.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:27 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Sorry if it's already been reported here but I hadn't seen it - alaskaair.com now lists W on the earning chart. It says "Earning is based on original booking class". Hopefully this means it will be automatic from here on out!

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-airlines.aspx
Old Jul 19, 2016, 3:40 am

Original Poster

Originally Posted by em_attack
Sorry if it's already been reported here but I hadn't seen it - alaskaair.com now lists W on the earning chart. It says "Earning is based on original booking class". Hopefully this means it will be automatic from here on out!

Thank you for checking and reporting back!

That is just too funny after all these people assumed something else.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Jul 19, 2016 at 7:56 am
Old Jul 19, 2016, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Thank you for checking and reporting back!

That is just too funny after all these people assumed something else.

-David
It didn't help that some of the AS reps didn't know what they were talking about. Its so sad when you know more about how the airline operates than its own employees.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 8:07 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
To be fair I'm pretty sure it appeared yesterday - I seem to recall looking at the chart in the morning and not seeing it. So I wouldn't be surprised if things are still in flux with regard to it automatically crediting or agents knowing about it.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 8:33 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold

Thanks for confirming! I am glad the AS Social Media team came thru as they promised!
Old Jul 19, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
9 business days in and still no response from the mileage plan e-mail address above.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:10 am

To be fair I'm pretty sure it appeared yesterday - I seem to recall looking at the chart in the morning and not seeing it. So I wouldn't be surprised if things are still in flux with regard to it automatically crediting or agents knowing about it.
I can confirm. I was looking at it for an upcoming trip comparing DL and AA fares for earning. Comfort+ was not on the list yesterday around 11am central last I checked.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Glad to see the website updated with the correct information. It's important to remember, however, that it IS possible to book a W fare directly on DL and if that IS your originally purchased fare, you will NOT be receiving any AS miles. Here is the full quote from an AS social media rep:

"When Delta created W class, they opted not to include it for Alaska mileage plan member accrual. If you book in W class, the miles will not be eligible. However, if you book in a different class and then later upgrade to W class, we can credit the original class that you booked in. I hope this helps."
Old Jul 19, 2016, 11:40 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Glad to see the website updated with the correct information. It's important to remember, however, that it IS possible to book a W fare directly on DL and if that IS your originally purchased fare, you will NOT be receiving any AS miles. Here is the full quote from an AS social media rep:

"When Delta created W class, they opted not to include it for Alaska mileage plan member accrual. If you book in W class, the miles will not be eligible. However, if you book in a different class and then later upgrade to W class, we can credit the original class that you booked in. I hope this helps."
I don't think it is possible to book directly into W? It would be like booking directly into U class on Alaska, it's not possible without having a base fare class.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alphaeagle
I don't think it is possible to book directly into W? It would be like booking directly into U class on Alaska, it's not possible without having a base fare class.
Actually, I have seen DL Comfort+ W fares where the underlying fare code is W. Example, check DTW-MSP for tomorrow and specify Y as lowest class. The matching Comfort+ W fare for this has a fare code of W0.

DL will also sell tickets with Premium Economy seating on AF/VS and DL flight numbers. The underlying fare codes on these all start with W.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.